It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Jahmen wrote:
Example: The Guild of Messengers. One might think their purpose should have been the "Official Guild" to host and post News for all the other Guilds or for a Master Guild Counsel representing all the Guilds to the Uru Community. The Central place for all the latest Guild Announcements, News, Agendas and Polls. The Centralized place for Uru Open Source Announcement to be posted. Just seemed a logical role and function for them, being called the Guild of Messengers and all. But instead we have the more recognized Official Uru Community website, The Cyan MOUL. With Open Source, I would have thought the Guilds Uru Community could see the need to organize themselves within their own Official Website Guild Masters. ???

I understand your concern that there is a lack of a single leader to direct the guilds. However, there are some strengths, as well as weaknesses, in the lack of a dictatorship.

Considering your example: The Messengers are serving the community to the best of their ability, but it is not the Messengers' role (nor is it any guild's role) to force the community or the other guilds to comply with some One True Vision(tm) of how things should be. What you perceive as a lack of organization is, in the view of others, a spirit of cooperation rather than a force of coercion. We are happy to post and spread news for the other guilds - but if other guilds want to manage their own news then that is not a problem and we are not going to tell others how they must do things.

Also, there are some members of the community who want to work on projects that seem like they might belong under the domain of the guilds, but those persons do not want to work with the guilds. Again, that is the prerogative of those individuals and the guilds won't be forcing people to organize into their structures. The guilds are voluntary organizations.

As for the way the Open Source announcement hit the community ... Cyan has a very good relationship with Tom Sowa, and he is local to them, and so Mr. Sowa tends to get the scoop before anyone else. And sometimes, I get the impression he releases that scoop just a little before Cyan feels prepared. 8) I have not seen any of the Messengers express any negative comments about our group not being the first to know and publish this information. I believe I can speak for the guild when I say that we're less worried about being first to receive information, and more concerned about ensuring information is spread to all in the community, rather than to just some. We do our best to meet that goal.

One last note - the Messengers had been talking to other Guild Masters about an all-guilds meeting to discuss how we can co-operate in this new paradigm of Open Source Myst Online, but that discussion is pending more information to be released from Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:46 am 

Well said Marten and I concur. I would like to add that the guilds are separate identities, not made by Cyan but by fans for the love of it. Although I agree with most of your posts Jahmen as it is common sense that we need to communicate and work together like we never have before. But as Marten said we cannot and would not force anything upon another and another council, no we do not, IMO, need. I always thought and hoped that that the community was the council. But organisation we most desperately needed. We need a community manager with someone that has their finger on the pulse.

On another note the GoMe is a very new Guild the newest out of the so called main 5. With what has transpired over the last 12 months has left us with half finished websites and a skeleton staff. If it wasn’t for a great bunch (not including me) there would be no GoMe at all and we haven’t even had a chance to come into our own yet. We are always asking for feedback from the community's all the time and our Forums are open to all. Since we don't get much feedback we can hopefully presume we are doing something right even though we are few. When we do get feedback we try to accommodate the community as a whole and within reason. I see the Guilds as a community resource not for control but to host the different sections of the community which then work together to build and keep the community focused on the challenge.

I and I hope my colleagues are, open to the GoMe holding and hosting threads but how many fans only come here (MOUL) and nowhere else. I would say a high proportion. This is where all the news gets posted by Cyan so we know as much as you do. We are not privy to information before anyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Szark wrote:
Well said Marten and I concur.

Ditto. Marten for King of Uru... er... :P

Szark wrote:
We need a community manager with someone that has their finger on the pulse.

Definitely! Someone like Chogon, but who has more free time. Maybe someone in the community who has a good relationship with Cyan. And, if would be helpful if they had some experience in herding cats, er, I mean, organizing volunteers.

Szark wrote:
If it wasn’t for a great bunch (not including me) there would be no GoMe at all and we haven’t even had a chance to come into our own yet.

Please ignore the self-depreciating comment in parenthesis. Szark is a hard worker and one of the best team members in the GoMe. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Marten for King of Uru... er... :P

KING ?? I don't think so........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Szark wrote:
We need a community manager with someone that has their finger on the pulse.

Wasn't/Isn't greydragon the community relations manager for Cyan?

So the Explorers need a community relations manager sort ... Geez , Do I want to see a MOUL FORUM Thread 'Community Relations Manager Campain Signup?? I don't think so....

A lot of the rest of you could pick someone because you have been around and involved for so long. Just PM that person and let them know they got it. :twisted:

Hey ( place name here) . You got it BUDDIE !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Al'Kaera wrote:
Wasn't/Isn't greydragon the community relations manager for Cyan?

He was, but Chogon is it now. See this topic. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16