It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Speculation
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:56 am 

MY POST
Gondar, I too noticed and caught that Chogan’s announcement did not make reference to MORE, but MystOnline and I don’t really believe in slips or coincidences. I’m not so sure about how many of us really care about the what it will be as much as the fact that something will actually be.
Speculate: Wow! The drastic change in the economy has created a double edged sword. With so many things becoming devalued, along with forced restructuring and downsizing to survive, the path to regrowth and profits are opening up for many companies due to material costs dropping along with employees to get lean and mean. Opportunities for larger companies to acquire lesser companies at reduced costs. Perhaps Cyan is doing the same as most of us are, waiting to see what and where the econmy is heading with new leadership before spending any monies or making any deals just yet. I speculate, due to expectations place on the promise of coming changes, an upturn in the economy will occur purely from the expectation turning the perception of the economy positive enough to become self fulfilling. Wether or not such a catalyst can make an upturn a lasting one, only time can tell. With this said I always figured nothing was really going to happen with MORE (MystOnline) until maybe as late as March 2009 and I remain hopeful something will come again for the Uru Community. My preference is still with MORE and expectations for getting ALL of the TOOLS to allow Fan Created Content to be a part of what ever comes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:58 am 

We will wait some days and see.

Last edited by Jahmen on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:25 am 

Tai'lahr wrote:
The New Media Consortium will fund Uru as an educational tool. College students will become Cyan interns, ResEngs, and flood the Guilds with new members. Schoolchildren will take field trips to D'ni to learn about anthropology, archaeology, sociology, biology, and math among other things. That would be a pretty drastic change in the Uru landscape, wouldn't it? But, a good one - one we could live with, right?

I was working something like this locally when MOUL was cut. And reactivated my plans and contacts when MORE was announced. I also work a similar idea using URU with people that have cognitive or physical disabilities. URU-live has great potential for education.
The online is so cool. The disabilities are so good, and the original riddles enough to make anyone feel disabled.
:D
Maybe it is MORE (or the same thing) that is announced more or less on scedule! I mean, maybe the 'on Hold' post was directed at the community. "Please put yourself on hold with all the demands of plattforms and software and legal compatibilities and problems, until we deliver whatever will be the (our) first version of MORE. It's just a computer game for crying out loud!"

Edit: There is something wrong in my text. The disabilities. I wonder what I meant...

Last edited by Rudolfson on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

I wonder what Bodger thinks about all this. Somebody go ask him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:34 pm 

• Steven Spielberg was involved all this time...
    interview: http://videogames.yahoo.com/celebrity-byte/steven-spielberg/1271249/0
    (...)
    Q: Earlier, you mentioned the more complicated project.
    A: I'm working on a game called LMNO, which is just a working title. I'm working with Doug Church, our creative director, and Lou Castle, our executive producer. I've been working on it for a while and I assume I'll be working on it for a while longer.
    (...)
    Q: Will LMNO be more in touch with you as a storyteller?
    A: It's more of a movie-type story game.
    (...)

Wikipedia on LMNO: the game's plot "focuses on a touching and ever-changing relationship between [the player] and a mysterious female character who holds the key to many futures".
    Landscaping Myst New Online!

:lol:

Guild of Messengers :: Myst & Uru NewsCavern Calendarrel.to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:50 pm 

There really are only three possibilities (that I can think of).

1. Cyan has acquired (through a company or the lottery as JWPlatt said) funding for either a new game or exclusively for Myst Online (Whatever It's Called This Time).

2. Cyan is not able, in the current economic situation, to produce games/work on MORE. Therefore, portions of the code will be opened to fan improvement and MORE will be hosted by the fans.

3. Cyan is not able, in the current economic situation, to produce games/work on MORE. Therefore, the project will be shut down indefinitely. Cyan chooses to keep its code, etc. to themselves as something to offer in the future for a game deal.

Judging from his post, it seems optimistic to me, which is why the first possibility even crosses my mind. The second possibility seems most likely. The third doesn't seem like news which would warrant a "hold on everyone"

Although, I'm still betting it's an announcement of MO:SL, Manhole Online: Spelunx Live. Notice how Zardoz talked about purple in his post. Clearly he has insider information that a colorful game is in the works. And we all know no game is more colorful than MO:SL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Has David Wingrove relocated the cleft to Iraq? Mosul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:46 pm 

Quote:
2. Cyan is not able, in the current economic situation, to produce games/work on MORE. Therefore, portions of the code will be opened to fan improvement and MORE will be hosted by the fans.

This seems to be the most likely. They are probably going to release the Age creation tools so we can then create our own Ages and stories, as well as, fracture us all into different shards (or instances), and the Fans will be controlling everything. Then we will have to decide which shard or instance to be a part of and load our Age onto, and then it will become a big popularity contest as people fight to be on the "cool" server with the "cool" Ages and story and then it will lead to everyone being on one shard and the server will bog down and explode and everyone will fracture once again, find another server or shard, enjoy the lag-fest for awhile until that server explodes, etc, etc... until the server producing company makes loads of money and are able to give the world economy a boost out of global recession, in which Cyan then will have the backing to create a new and improved Myst Online 5 where they can buy enough servers to be able to handle the masses and create a product that's up to date on graphic technology and buys everyone who participates in the new and improved MO5 a new computer so they can pay and play!

Or maybe not. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:16 pm 

What do you call this strange feeling, is it optimism? Nah, can't be, we receive a heartbreaking cancellation notice whenever I get that feeling. So, I will call this, "feeling splorked". No way Cyan is cruel enough to crush my splorks and dreams...

Anyways, Yeah I think that they have acquired funding from Micheal bay to produce the worlds first cinematic-story-driven-first-person-shooter... Well, maybe not the first. Only catch is, they had to make some changes.

Here is the script from the preview.

This preview has been rated "D": for "Dumb to all audiences".

(In the deep throat preview voice that often scares little children) In A World... (Insert: Deleted party club scene) Where the stench of Bahro fills every corner... (Insert: totally spoilerish pic of evil Bahro from final seconds of film) Only one man that we care about has the power to stop them... (Insert: random explosion) The other is comic relief... (Insert: erotic sound effect of woman moaning) and the third gets tragically killed in the last five minutes of the game in a meaningless cliffhanger that wont even be resolved till the end of the trillogy... (Insert: Schwarzenegger firing a Gatling Gun and screaming "Get Down!") even though we are actually going to make five games out of this crap... (Insert: Micheal Bay nude in a gold bathtub full of $100's)

This summer... (Insert: Same random explosion from earlier) Coming to kick you in the face from a PC near you... (Insert: Ninja head kick from deleted scene) Jean Claude Van Damme... (Insert: walking out of fire) Danny Devito... (Insert: walking out of fire, drinking a Pepsi) and Arnold Schwarzenegger are... (Insert: walking out of fire, still on fire, but totally not phased by it)... The killenators.

Micheal Bay kinda-proudly Presents (Insert: he's totally awesome) Myst Online: PAYBACK!!! (Insert: "Buy this game or you're totally a loser")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

How about URU on cell phones, or something like cell phones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

cave explorer wrote:
How about URU on cell phones, or something like cell phones?

Yeah that's it alright. They took our prototype from Mysterium and are going to manufacture it and create a new revenue stream that will enable more discoveries and a wider area for knowledgeable explorers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Maybe Cyan has sold all URU rights to...hmmmm, PIXAR, for an amount sufficient enough to fund the new epic they want to develop, also to be published by PIXAR, forming the new PIXAR gaming studio, or not. This thread is about wild speculation, is it not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:28 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I would like to request as OP that speculation be somewhat serious, but feel free to have a punchline at the end of each idea (see my OP for an example). I like good ideas and I like humor, but it doesn't have to be silly. ;) Some of the best humor is rooted in reality. On the other hand, I enjoyed Zardoz's integration of humor with his own brand of social commentary on our predilection for parsing every word Cyan issues and, as if from a deity, deriving grandiose (and so very wrong) meaning from each one. But you have to be Zardoz to get away with it.

On to what I intended to parse today:

I have been thinking more about "drastically changing the landscape of MystOnline." I am going to assume some things:

1. Tweek will get very annoyed at this rather optimistic speculation. Tough.
2. Cyan is not cruel (shhh, Zardoz!); it was not a post to tease only to later prepare us for the impending doom.
3. Chogon intentionally typed "MystOnline" instead of "MORE". (Sorry, vid, MORE might never come).
4. "Landscape" means who can access a renewed Myst Online and what they can do with it.
5. "Drastic" means a huge increase in availability.
6. Cyan doesn't like "fracturing." No UU iterations.

This line of thought leads me to think about putting Myst Online on such a large business infrastructure as to have worldwide availability with large clusters and big, fast pipes. That's an extreme example to allow you to think about maybe something a bit smaller, but still worldwide players with big infrastructure in any case. I have not been able to come up with who: Microsoft? Apple? Atari? General ISPs like Comcast and Cox? Turner again? Ubisoft? No, Ubisoft is not big enough, though maybe they're into it somehow with a possible publishing contract renewal with Cyan at the end of this year. How else could this news come before the end of 2008, the ending date of that original 2002 agreement?

I have no real conclusion as to who would be able to host Myst Online on a worldwide infrastructure. Or who would want to. Do you have any ideas?

Finally, Cyan has already promised to release the plugin code. It would not be good to pull back on that promise, and it would run counter to everything the fans have been looking forward to since ... forever. I expect Cyan knows that. It would not be smart to close off UCC again unless Uru came back with a staggering budget and daily content. Even then, it would create great fan disappointment. I just don't think Cyan would pull it back. And I would still push for a greater amount of open source. It's what people want - to be a part of the restoration. So I'm going with at least the plugins, and maybe, er, more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
I would like to request as OP that speculation be somewhat serious, but feel free to have a punchline at the end of each idea (see my OP for an example). I like good ideas and I like humor, but it doesn't have to be silly. ;)

There you go, JW, stifling conversation and imagination. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:52 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

No soup for you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next