It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:41 pm 

Zardoz wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
On the other hand, I enjoyed Zardoz's integration of humor with his own brand of social commentary on our predilection for parsing every word Cyan issues and, as if from a deity, deriving grandiose (and so very wrong) meaning from each one. But you have to be Zardoz to get away with it.

Let me parse that statement . . .

Okay, you want serious, you’ll get serious.

First, it’s important (IMHO) to ask the question, Did Chogon feel compelled to make a statement when he did? It might be that Cyan felt things were rapidly deteriorating on the forum and in the community. If that’s the case, then I suspect there is a serious possibility we are reading way too much into Chogon’s announcement. Saying something, quickly, would be the main intent, even if what followed was less than earth shattering (“We will be changing the background color of the MystOnline website to purple”). There is also a smaller but still real possibility, however, that we will get a stupendous announcement, the type Cyan usually springs without warning. A compelled pre-announcement, then, could presage just about anything.

Let’s assume, however, that Chogon did not feel compelled, although he may have been “encouraged” by recent events to give a pre-announcement that an announcement was coming (rather than just wait the “days” he mentioned and make the real announcement). In that case, my thoughts on what the announcement might cover are shaped by the reality of the current situation, both Cyan’s and the economy’s. I think:
  1. The possibility that Cyan will announce a major new product line or full-fledged commercial venture based on MOUL is vanishingly small. Although the computer gaming industry seems to be recession proof, it has also hunkered down and relied on solid performers to retain its strength. Myst Online is not a solid performer, and now is not the time for a company to take huge risks and sink millions into resurrecting a two-time loser.
  2. The possibility that Cyan will announce a detailed plan for going open source or any other drastic change in its intellectual property basis is very small (which is bigger than vanishingly small). This would imply that Cyan has spent much of the last few months working with lawyers and other expensive people to develop that detailed plan. Given that they were taken by surprise by the loss of the quality control work, I doubt if they had the resources to change direction so swiftly and thoroughly.
  3. The possibility that Cyan will announce that someone else will hold some form of rights to Myst Online in some form is medium. Note that this possibility spans everything from a new licensing deal to Cyan making an informal agreement with some fans to produce “official” Myst Online content in some form (under NDA or other contractual or quasi-contractual basis). I distinguish “licensing deal” from “full-fledged commercial venture” in that the former would be totally prospective (“We’ve agreed in principle with company X to explore ways of developing Myst Online for future delivery” v. “We’ve agreed with EA to produce Myst Online as a Madden 2010 spinoff, and it will be on shelves for Christmas”). Even so, I think the probability of some informal arrangement is much higher than a formal, commercially based arrangement, regardless of the format.
That’s all. I must admit, the greatest possibility is that it will be something we didn’t think of, unless someone in this crowd is in on the deal.

And I still think Kadish is coming back . . . . :P

In response to point 2, if most rights have reverted to Cyan as JWPlatt speculated the only "expensive person" they would have to consult is whatever legal support Cyan uses. (I highly doubt they have an in-office legal team.) :)

Since Cyan is a privately owned corporation the only thing they would be required to do to open-source anything is to declare it so and send a note to their attorney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:43 pm 

Actually, they have... or used to (whether they still do is questionable) have a legal department in the Cyan complex. So I heard. ;)

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:25 pm 

Yes

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I can see it now (enter obligatory dream sequence):
~
~
~
~
~
Robyn Miller, Jack Wall, Peter Gabriel & Tim Larkin on the latest Guitar Hero / Rock Band product, with Myst/Riven/Exile/Revelation/Uru/End of Ages music. And it comes with Gehn's Cannen or whatever he called it (with 5 colored buttons of course) to boot.

Hey, I'd buy it.

Product two:
Rosetta Stone comes out with their D'ni language program.

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:29 pm 

Or maybe they decided to release all the new content from Myst Online as a download, for a few bucks, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:55 pm 

Ironic that my GameTap is up for renewal and I am getting pounded by emails from them regarding editing my credit card number (which I intentionally put an incorrect one in so it would not renew). The day after it finally dies, Chogon announces a re-partnership with GameTap.

Oh the humanity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:06 pm 

The way I see it, the reason the community pounces on EVERY announcement is that an announcement is so rare. It's been said before and I'll say it again: if they just posted a message every once in a while to tell us that they were still there, we wouldn't take everything so intensely. So please, every few weeks (at least, in terms of frequency) please just leave us a message. We like getting them. Unless its bad news. Try to delay that unless it is something we can help with.

Avvie name: Crazyraider - 00670418 (preferred) / Crazyraider312 - 01396856 / Crazyraider_DJ - 04976032

DJ of Raider Rave Radio (Fan Page)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:37 am 

Getting back to the topic JW, i tend to think your possiblities may indeed cover many of the options of what may happen, however....

i have seen Cyan surprise us all so many times that i have put my crystal ball lovingly back in the fish tank with the two floppers that i smuggled out of Teletahn in April, and will wait, albiet with quite a bit of interest indeed...for the next blue message.

I remain hopeful that whatever will come, it will indeed be directed by Cyan and it will NOT involve them releasing anything open source, except for tools that directly are tied to the process already proposed. It will indeed be interesting to see what comes.

Perhaps the most literal interpretation of Landsape would see major New Ages added to the mix, and or access to the Great Shaft across the Lake and access to the main city added to the game. THAT would indeed be a major transformation of the true landscape.!!!!!!

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:42 am 
Obduction Backer

JW----what an imagination....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:35 am 

*sigh* Can't you all see that Cyan is just setting us up for the biggest Rick Roll we've ever seen? :roll:

I can't wait to see all your faces after we've totally been RickRoll'd.

...wait... what th'? :shock:

I was completely wrong...

I can't believe it... I can't believe that Cyan is actually releasing such an amazing new product!

Look here: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

~Joey Eggseyeluhphone and the Experimental Pipe Bonker Symphony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:22 am 

I can't imagine Cyan giving up on the fans. I don't think that they'd intentionally let us down. As for the announcement, I don't think they'd give us the runaround and try to hurt us either.

Just my opinion

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:26 am 

I hope not

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:08 am 

OK I edit in my speculation upon getting JWs nudge.
I think it is a new distributor that will repackage the whole URU series, and or possibly the remake of the MYST saga. The boxed sets of MystOnline, will contain the ticket to get online, but you must buy the box for each expansion. And it is SONY that bought the complete MYST/Riven/URU trademark.

So many opinions, so little time.

Last edited by Rudolfson on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:13 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Please keep it to speculation and use IM for the small talk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:50 am 
Obduction Backer

mtn'man wrote:
Ironic that my GameTap is up for renewal and I am getting pounded by emails from them regarding editing my credit card number (which I intentionally put an incorrect one in so it would not renew). The day after it finally dies, Chogon announces a re-partnership with GameTap.

Oh the humanity.

Uuu ? what re-partnership are you talking about ?

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next