It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Okay, enough gloating . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:56 am 
Obduction Backer

He deserves it a little longer. I'm still not done gloating over when I guessed right.

Then again, can I gloat that once again a prediction of mine came true? I figured JW had the right idea with open source, though my idea was full out open source instead of his limited SDKs. And.. well...

Eh, still enough gloat to go around. Congrats on the lottery ticket Chogon! How much you win? Enough to buy another ticket at least, I hope? :P

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:36 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Gondar wrote:
I figured JW had the right idea with open source, though my idea was full out open source instead of his limited SDKs. And.. well...

Cyan has given a lot more than I was asking for, and there were quite a few people who didn't like how much I was asking for. But I did not believe Cyan would release server and client source without holding some proprietary key like SDKs to make some money from the whole deal. And, in fact, I don't see the word 'Plasma' in Tom Sowa's article which states Cyan will release "the source code for the servers, client and tools for MystOnline." So is Cyan going to protect Plasma? Plasma is not just a MystOnline tool, nor I think is it strictly part of the server or client code. It is part of many Cyan products. I would expect to see something more about this. And the jury is still out on which of us came closer to the end result. And I'll still claim you got most of your good ideas from me. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Fair enough. I'm happy you acknowledged they were my good ideas :D

But what's tricky is how they can NOT give us the Plasma 2.x MOUL used if they're giving us the client.. unless it's so modular they can give us a precompiled pack of object files to compile in to the client code and all we get is netcode. If so, doesn't that kinda defeat the point of giving us source?

Remember, also, we're getting an older version of Plasma. Not the 3.whatever they're using internally. Not that people in the community can't dig into that as is.

I think what this means is Cyan is giving us the engine, akin to say iD giving the source to the quake engine and saying "Go for it". Except we also seem to get some of the content. Which is a lot more than I expected too.

But to be honest, we don't have enough details as is. We know the outline of what we're getting, so now we wait for them to properly announce it to us.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Yes, content. From their server(s). I sure hope they will license it for download with access control from something like approved shard IP addresses or a content key tied to same. That's their control and their revenue source if they give us everything else. I really hope they decide to charge and make some money from it more than just paying for itself. It's their IP. They should. And it could keep down fears of the SL-izing of Uru if Cyan can implement control through content so freeloaders can't casually get the content onto an abusive shard and have it work as well as an approved shard. Content could make my idea of an Authentication SDK unnecessary. It's an elegant solution I should have thought about, but I was trying to make sure Cyan needed to run no servers at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7