It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Things To Remember
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:34 am 

Greetings, citizens! *salutes*

Dalken Starbyne, here. Some of you may recognize me personally, some of you may recognize me from The Cavern Today podcasts...and some of you may have no clue who I am! :lol:

However! This post is not about whether or not you know me or how, but, just as the title says, some things to remember.

Now, I could go into a giant wall of text that would be tiresome to read, but I really don't feel like writing it. So instead, I'll make a list.

What exactly will be in this list, you ask? Well...Things To Remember. That is, quotes, phrases, words, and other things that I've picked up in my time playing Uru that I like to keep in mind at all times...whenever news comes around, whenever I meet someone on the street, or what-have-you.

Why am I putting these up here? And why in General Discussion rather than Off Topic? Well...mainly these are things I'd just like everyone who stumbles across this post to keep in mind when responding to the post of another, especially in regards to the things revolving around this game that we all hang around here for and many post so passionately about: Uru.

So! When communing with your fellow Explorers, here are some Things To Remember:

• "You can take the Explorers out of the Cavern, but you can't take the Cavern out of the Explorers!" - Everyone here is an Explorer, even if they haven't had the chance to experience the Cavern firsthand. And everyone who sticks around here still has some Cavern in them, or else they wouldn't still be here. Those who stick around care about Uru and the Cavern just as much as you do.
  • "Cautious Optimism" - This phrase made famous in our community by none other than RAWA himself with the Cautious Optimisim Meter (which hasn't been recently updated, admittedly). And of course it means just that: Remain optimistic, just be cautious with that optimism.
  • "In the future" - Those who attended Mysterium 2006 may remember this phrase. It represents that certain uncertainty, wherein we know things will be "in the future," though we may not know exactly what or when. All we can do is remain as prepared as we can for when these things come, whatever they may be, so that they do not catch us off guard.
  • "Unity in Diversity" - I never really, truly understood this phrase until I broke in to the Myst/Uru community. I have never, in all the places I've been--online or on the surface--seen a community so diverse and yet so coherent. Yes, there are divides in the community. There have always been and will always be. But they are divides created by the natural difference in opinion. Rarely have I seen disputes handled in such a manner as name-calling or flamewars in all of the Uru-related boards I've visited, and certainly never nearly in the severity that I can easily find in other locations on the internet, or even at school. Despite the fact that this community has the widest ranges in views and origins that I've ever seen, it handles those differences in the best manners I've ever seen. Never before was there such a prime example of "Unity in Diversity" than the diverse community united by D'ni and its Ages.
  • "You can't stop the rock!" - A recent one, borrowed by our very own vid. The determination of this community--again differing in its views, but united in its goal--is second to none, as shown by the thread that this same community has kept alive over two months and thirty-three pages asking, "Is it MORE yet?"
  • "We have the best fans in the World." Rand Miller, CEO, Cyan Worlds. - There's a really good reason you folks at Cyan have the best fans in the World. These worlds of Myst opened up a realm of exploration, not only of the worlds themselves or the stories contained within, but of self-exploration as well. In Uru it just went a step further and allowed us to not only explore ourselves better, but explore those around us, with radically different personalities and viewpoints. And through this exploration our diversity blends. It is what makes us all Uru Explorers. And I thank each and every one of you at Cyan Worlds, for working so hard for this to happen. If any of my salutes were truly deserved, this one to you is the one. *salutes*

And so, while it appears I've managed to make a giant wall of text despite my list, I have just one thing to ask.

What do you have to add to it?

Edit: Heh, almost forgot one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Greetings Dalken!

"Perhaps the ending has yet to be written."

Nice thread. I miss you. I miss being orbited. Jeffy stands on my head sometimes in SL, but it's not the same. :P
I sure hope to see you in the cavern very soon.

/salute

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:27 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:

Yes, we need to add that one.

A quote we've been using for so long everyone just wants to get it out of their heads. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:

Yes, we need to add that one.

A quote we've been using for so long everyone just wants to get it out of their heads. :lol:

Or the alternative:

"Perhaps the ending, has not yet been written."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Fine, I stand corrected, and apologize for using the first thing to come to mind as an excuse to say hello to Dalken. :wink: Here's a better one:

"Don't burn your bridges."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:55 pm 

Bridges.....I like Bridges....

things to share.....some from me and some from wonderful sharing recently with wonderful community members....

The Magic of the Journey is that it is something each of us can experinece in our own way......both alone and together.....and protecting that mystery, and having Cyan as our source we have that essential element of the unkown, and how we deal with that individually and together.....for if we give away the future and its mystery
we take away the experience of those we share the journey with
and we need all of us with us
every voice
every hand
every disparate and widely differing view
Every KI and Relto book.

People say the community is divided, and I won't argue that it isn't, but not moreso than it has ever been. It will always be divided. But in that division, in that same difference, there is unity.

there is a word for it....
Concord
A concord is not a mass of identical units
or even a democracy where everyone is equal
it is a union by choice but not of coercion
and can have as many differing views within it as the sun has rays of light

As is said in the music world, "a stable, harmonious combination of tones; a chord requiring no resolution"

that process of combination, of division is the very process of evolution happening before our eyes

by splitting from each other and then reconnecting we form the variation from the center that allows growth to occur otherwise all is stale and will die

the key to the survuval of the Cavern
it lies not in the Restoratoin of the physical Cavern but in each of us

sometimes it takes just one more stone to finish a bridge

i like bridges more than walls

Especially the bridges that go over walls.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:05 pm 

Yes, I like bridges too, CrisGer, but it can be painful to be part of one -- imagine the structural tensions and forces within a bridge in the material world.

Moving on, Shaeri's signature is a useful adage to remember for all the forums we frequent:
Make your words kind, gentle and tasteful, for one day you may be forced to eat them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:12 pm 

Part of what was said was that our community had fractured. In my experience, fractures are rarely fatal, generally heal, and what results is usually stronger than what went before. Something you may wish to remember and keep in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:02 pm 

VidKid jumping a balcony and making everyone think that something happened to him.

Chasing "Looters" through the cavern and garden Ages.

sitting in K'veer with Chacal at the very end.

Spraining my brain and fingers learning how to use Blender.

Peoples first reactions to Camp Bravo and Zephyr Cove.........

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

The combination to the vault door

The right way to get those markers under the wooden bridge

The numbering of the floor switches in the prison room

Speed, direction and timing on the jumps

The other switch is "reset"

Ctrl4

:D

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:12 am 
Obduction Backer

May I also suggest...
"The Ending has Not yet been written"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:13 am 
Obduction Backer

oops! now I see this is a duplicate....
moderators, could you combine the two sets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:37 am 

Ooh, it seems in my internet issues I had not only a double, but a triple post of this. Could a moderator please delete the other two copies of this thread (and move any replies from those over to this one)? It would be greatly appreciated!

-Dalken

P.S: Great replies so far. Keep 'em comin'!

Edit: I was able to delete one instance, but the other one (with replies) is still standing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:44 am 

Oh come on guys thats why you take notes, OK aside from the timing direction and speed of the jumps

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
There's a really good reason you folks at Cyan have the best fans in the World. These worlds of Myst opened up a realm of exploration, not only of the worlds themselves or the stories contained within, but of self-exploration as well. In Uru it just went a step further and allowed us to not only explore ourselves better, but explore those around us, with radically different personalities and viewpoints. And through this exploration our diversity blends. It is what makes us all Uru Explorers.

What a profound thought, and so true! Dalken, you just nailed down a major intangible. Thanks for an excellent post,

Mowog