It is currently Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:29 am

All times are UTC

Have you experienced more technical difficulties since Feb 4th than you have the last 2 months?
Poll ended at Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:03 pm
Yes 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
No 73%  73%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 22
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:00 pm 

For the third time in 2 days, I have gotten Net6ed. Yesterday I was bugged and the game crashed for a reason I don't remember.Now I am having problems getting back into the cavern. Is anyone else experiencing technical difficulties more than usual lately?

Last edited by Lynnutte on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

OHBot just got the first one since the last server restart.

Remember, Net 6 means that the client lost communication with the server. The majority of the time it's your internet that dropped even for a millisecond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

The cavern seems very laggy today (it wasn't bad yesterday except in crowds :D ) but I'm blaming that on the Superbowl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

I was not in myself yet today but I do know that recently everybody online received a Net 6 at the same time.

If they're isolated incidents that really only happen to you at the time then it's most likely your own connection. If it was only you and OHBot at the same time, it could be a coincidence. We'll have to see if anybody else answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:48 pm 

All seem like very plausible answers, but I'm also very buggy as well. Coincidence? Could be, but I'm not so sure it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:07 am 
Obduction Backer

This sort of lag and troubles/bugs (net6, etc) reminds me of about this time last year...

I assume the lag and troubles (net 6, etc) are due to the large numbers of people celebrating the anniversary, etc. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Plus, if the Amazon servers are hosting something Superbowl related there may be some heavy load around where they're located.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:41 am 

Two of my brother's tried to log on last night from two separate locations and both were having problems. They can usually run the game without any problems. One brother just got a blank screen whenever he tried to log in. The other brother could get as far as Relto but if he tried to go anywhere else the sound would freak out and he'd crash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:01 am 
Obduction Backer

any number of random factors can influence bugs, glitches, crashes, the like... so much so that to try and wrap my head around it is mindboggeling; so i just take a glitch for a glitch and a crash for a crash and try to move on and hope that i don't encounter it again... various effects on your local area network, cyan's server in spokane, stuff going on in your machine, stuff going on in the game... everything that could be the cause of odd behavior is bound to be convoluted...

.... sure, often times there is something common tieing bugs and crashes together (people fall out of elevators because of lag, that's known to happen) but, if you're experiencing problems where others are not even if others are experiencing similar problems doesn't mean your problems and their problems are necessarily related... could be, might not be...

it certainly doesn't hurt to ask; me for instance had a bear of a time avoiding a set active player failed after all the excitement today but once i was on i experienced one of only two crash free days i've ever had (usually it's common for me to crash half a dozen times in a single evening for whatever reason or none at all)

... there are times where i'll experience epic glitches and hard crashes until for whatever reason or none at all it'll be smooth sailing for me... i don't rly bother to wonder why, but sometimes if it's rly bad and people are experincing similar issues there may be a common problem that might be resolved...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:31 am 

I get Net6 every time I log on to the game. This happens after I have been on for a least 10 minutes. It happens to either of my accounts and has been doing this since MOUL went back on line and it is becoming very frustrating. My internet has not dropped any other of the online games that I play. Lately it is not worth going on, and I stopped recommending this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:43 am 
Obduction Backer

getting dropped several times per period of play is not uncommon for me...

though i rly don't have the authority or expertise to say if this is necessarily true or not, there are groups of people who have been given leeway to venture into the inner workings of URU's code and this *might* have a slight effect on lag, connections, or the appearances of bugs and glitches; it is set up in such a way that their tinkering causes minimal impact on other portions of URU but if you are ever in the presence of these displays you might experience odd behavior outside of the areas to which they are confined...

i'd suggest asking OHB on an appropriate thread on this matter if such an assumption would be correct...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:57 am 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
getting dropped several times per period of play is not uncommon for me...

though i rly don't have the authority or expertise to say if this is necessarily true or not, there are groups of people who have been given leeway to venture into the inner workings of URU's code and this *might* have a slight effect on lag, connections, or the appearances of bugs and glitches; it is set up in such a way that their tinkering causes minimal impact on other portions of URU but if you are ever in the presence of these displays you might experience odd behavior outside of the areas to which they are confined...

i'd suggest asking OHB on an appropriate thread on this matter if such an assumption would be correct...

The only known occurrence of lag being created outside of the hood was when we had about 210 eddies. This was cleared up when we reset the hood. Also, that won't happen again. The current rule allows for 20 (or is it 15) objects of a kind to be spawned if they are physical. If someone wants to make a 50 foot cone that doesn't have collision that's not included in that number. We're also developing the right code to remove spawned objects as needed in case we need it.

That's the only issue that /might/ effect lag outside the hood for people that didn't visit it. Any other effects may be visible afterwards in different locations but only if you first visit the hood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:27 am 

OHB wrote:
That's the only issue that /might/ effect lag outside the hood for people that didn't visit it. Any other effects may be visible afterwards in different locations but only if you first visit the hood.

And just to be clear, those effects will go away if you log out and log back in to Uru. Nothing is truly permanent

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:28 am 
Obduction Backer

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
OHB wrote:

And just to be clear, those effects will go away if you log out and log back in to Uru. Nothing is truly permanent

Ah yes I forgot to put that. I should really outline all of this somewhere...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
And just to be clear, those effects will go away if you log out and log back in to Uru.

Except spawned Eddies and anything that has an SDL state.