It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:06 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

We've been made aware of a small number of cases where members have received PMs containing spam messages in the past few days.

Spamming by PM has been around almost as long there have been forums, so it's nothing new, but it isn't something we've had much of a problem with here. It may be a reaction to us effectively blocking the bots normal channel of spamming the forum, or may just be a general trend change: Either way it's an annoyance to anyone receiving this. Unfortunately, we need to leave the PM path open for any legitimate users who are having trouble joining the Explorers group.

If you receive a spam PM, please forward it to one of the moderators - best thing is to use the "Quote" button on the PM (so we can see the originating Username for the PM), add any other info you feel is relevant, then send it to a mod. We will then log the details and ensure that the accounts are deactivated as soon as possible.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:22 am 

I'm definitely not condoning what that spammer is/was doing. They are most likely out phishing for emails and I hate those people. But would it be so bad of Cyan to try and pull a little profit from the website by advertising?

I mean there are two (give or take 1.5 inch) black bars on either sides of this site that could easily contain respectful adds. Even if it was something as simple as using it to advertise movies. It wouldn't pull a ton of cash but it might help to offset some (it may be a very small amount) of the cost that goes in to maintaining this site.

I would even make it a point to visit everyday just to click on the ads so that Cyan gets a large enough click count for advertisers to take notice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:33 am 
Obduction Backer

while i'm obviously not alone when i say i've had enough of people intruding into my life trying to sell me stuff i have no interest in, and while i do welcome the rare relief from advertisements here on the MOUL forums, advertisements are abundant and advertisers can never buy enough ad space... a couple of ad banners might take a bit of monetary burden off Cyan when it comes to hosting these forums for us. while i'm sure there would be those who would be highly against it, i'd tollerate it so long as the ads weren't too terribly intrusive... i'm sure this is something Cyan has already considered anyway and have more than likely placed it near dead last on their considerations list.

when Cyan and the mods put the usergroups method of registration in place i wondered how that would keep spammers from infiltrating our forum inboxes. it hasn't been a problem for me yet. not a single spam pm... yet. though i'm sure it's only a matter of time. for those who have gotten spammed, i wonder how much of an aggrivation (or maker forbid danger) it is?

would our forum modderators have any advice as to what to do or not do to minimize the chances of forum users getting hit by spam in their Myst Online Forum inboxes? and what can/are Cyan and the modderators doing about it, if they think it at all necessary?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:30 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Additional note on the recent "Forum Houskeeping" scam PMs: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 981#367981

The problem with trying to control PMs is simply that we need to leave a method open that allows legitimate new members to be able to contact someone for help if they haven't mananged to figure out that joining the Explorers group is required to be able to post. Without applying modifications to the forum software, which no-one has time to do, some risk of PM spam remains.

So far, only about four accounts have been problems in this respect: As soon as we can get some Cyan support (probably Monday) we'll get the two currently active spammers deactivated. Keep in mind that we're getting over 1000 fake forum account registrations per week just now, so this represents only a tiny percentage that are actually managing to create problems.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
justthetigger wrote:
<snip>

slider! :shock: You don't post for almost a year and then when you do, it's a controversial suggestion?
I don't care; it's good to see you here! :D {{ hugs }}

Instead of putting the ads on this forum, why not put them on the Cyan home page? You could have a thread here pointing people to it, explain how they work and suggest everyone go visit to support Cyan.

Or, we could slap stickers on the cones. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:23 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
slider! :shock: You don't post for almost a year and then when you do, it's a controversial suggestion?

A year really? WoW!! I have been here the whole time, I even pop into the cavern from time to time, but don't see many people. :cry:

Tai'lahr wrote:
Or, we could slap stickers on the cones. :wink:

I resend my offer of ads on this site for this better suggestion. The cones would totally support wearing bumper stickers. Besides, I think they have been looking for a way to patch up some of the wear holes that have been developing.

While the cones are away the Explores must play.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
justthetigger wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:

A year really? WoW!! I have been here the whole time, I even pop into the cavern from time to time, but don't see many people. :cry:

It all depends on when you come. The best time is between 11 AM and, say 3 PM KI time. That's when Ae'gura is the busiest. :)

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:59 am 

I've recently received unusual pm's on this forum and I find myself baffled.

The first was all about mortgage foreclosures and the second purported to be from the forum security asking me to check out the forum's new sponsors, Burgerking and Amazon to receive access to the VIP section of the forum.

This is spam isn't it? How do I make it stop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:02 am 

It is spam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes, it's spam. There's more details here: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24415 and here: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24329

Sadly, there's not much that can be done at this point.

Post subject: Yucky PM
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:29 am 
Obduction Backer

From SecurityID to Texana — Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:48 pm — Subject: Forum Housekeeping

Important all mystonline.com members.

As you might know by now, we have started revamping mystonline.com. These new server upgrades and staff employment obviously comes with various costs attached.
We have been able to uphold the forum in the past, but the recent growth has forced us to get some sponsors to help us out.

Instead of placing more advertisements on the site, we would appreciate it if you would give each of the listed advertisers a minute of your time.

Just check out the BurgerKing and Amazon promotions below.

Then Please confirm your email.

YOU WILL GET A FREE FORUM UPGRADE TO ACCESS THE VIP AREA, AND EVEN SOME GOODIES FROM THE SPONSOR.

BURGERKING

AMAZON

Thank you for helping the community, this is the best way to keep thing running.

Best Regards

Forum Management
SecurityID
mystonline.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:32 am 
Obduction Backer

These PMs are discussed in this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Also, Mac posted thia additional warning in "Announcements":

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24415

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Not much of a discussion :(

I detest the spam and other nasty PMs and forum messages that have been sent the last few months.