It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spoilers in city
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:09 pm 

Just a reminder..please keep open chat free of spoilers. I was in city today with a new avi and if I had of not known game some of the chat would have......

1. confused me to the point of quitting.
2.given away things I could have found out with just a bit of a nudge.
3.made me think there were a bunch of rude, unfriendly peeps who did not care about the game.

I trust none of this is true....I love URU..and want to see it around for a good many years.

luv angelmyst

KI #03313934

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:46 pm 

Update to this note...
As you help newbie please remember to private chat to them.
Telling a newbie ...off hand or on purpose...about door runs or marker games takes away from them exploring. New players need to be able to explore!. Just as spoiler warnings are issued in forum...you should be on alert for them in the public city chat as well.
I had an explorer get rather rude with me when I asked them to watch spoilers.
That was a sad expression of bad attitude.
Helping newbies DOES NOT entail telling them the intricacies when they are in city for the first time.
They do not need to get hauled into a door run when they have no idea the Eders even exist.
Please be more cautious...if you meet a newbie who wants the answers do so in private...and make sure they understand private chat as well so the city is not bombarded witb one way conversations.
...Just all helpful points...will make experiences better for everyone.
luv angelmyst

KI #03313934

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

angelmyst wrote:
They do not need to get hauled into a door run when they have no idea the Eders even exist.

My thinking on this point...Someone is in Ae'gura, shy, hears door run...where it is and decides to join...normally the directions are told..go to Nexus look for 'xxx' hood, meet there......As a newbie, I would go to see this cool new thing..Most of the time in a door run...the door caller explains EVERYTHING to everyone in the age..For most of us it is annoying, but for the newbie it is learning...I choose to deal with it...sometimes the doors open immediately...sometimes it takes 30 minutes or more...but it's a start for the newbie and something to look forward to.

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:05 pm 

angelmyst,
I agree with your points in regards to helping new explorers, under most circumstances. :D
I too, think It's very important to make sure the newbie, who asks for help, first understands the most basic KI functions and all that that implies, especially the PM function, the different color codes for the text they see and very importantly, making sure the intended target of the PM is still there to receive it.

Unfortunately, in trying to occasionally lessen the blatent, overt announcement of spoilers over the public chat, it's been my experience from time to time but especially lately, some players, certainly not a majority by any means, still have the attitude of "don't tell me what to do," "mind your own business," " stop trying to be the chat police," etc. :twisted:
These type of responses have come from my sending a short, very polite, gently worded PM "asking" the person to try to resist putting up obvious "spoilers" on the public chat and to consider using the PM function. Never from "telling" them what to do, only a suggestion to consider typing less revealing information.
I won't even begin to describe the response from some of those same players on voice chat. :oops:

In speaking with some newbies in the last few weeks, it seems that their interactions with more experienced explorers range from either being ignored totally to being bombarded with WAY too much information, way too fast, by too many players to the point of feeling it necessary to retreat to Relto or bail from the game all together for a while.
There is certainly a middle ground somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:11 am 

I too agree with Angelmyst's points as I have on occasion felt it necessary to ask players to be careful not to give away spoilers.

I'd also add, that if you are asked to be careful not to give out spoilers, not to take offense at being asked to be careful.
Instead just take it as friendly advice and avoid disagreeing in public chat as that too won't look good to a new player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:04 pm 

Yes...Char....if a new player stumbles into the call for a door run....then it is all part of game play. I will usually ask a new player what they have discovered so far....I have seen some who are being shown how to climb the tent and they have not even done the Cleft. Meeting newbies in the newly created hoods lets me point them in the direction of Cleft...GZ...and if they stumble into the city on the way...great....I hopefully have them set with basic KI functions and a buddy on their list they can call to whenever they need help.
Zaph and Alien...ty for your points....we seem to have a more regular influx of new explorers...we need to be a community...and a help....
One suggestion...if you are in the midst of helping a new player in the city...who does not get private chat yet...let the city helpers know you have them covered to avoid the poor explorer from getting bombarded from several peeps at once...
Luv angelmyst

KI #03313934

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:34 pm 

Charura wrote:
but for the newbie it is learning...

Not so sure about that..

Alien wrote:
I'd also add, that if you are asked to be careful not to give out spoilers, not to take offense at being asked to be careful.

Good luck with that, lawl.

In the end it depends on the explorer. Some don't want to be disturbed, some want a few hints, and some want a guide to take them by the hand and play with them, or tell them how to play.
Would be nice to suggest here to ask more clearly about the sort of help the player wants, if it's just hints or solutions, like the old Greeters or OHBot (or Izzy, of the people I know) did but I don't think it would offer much. They had guidelines, we wouldn't know where to stop, and hinting is a difficult thing to do as well, got its levels itself.
Also some people give new players the impression that every older player is inclined or even obliged to help, while this is just an option, a benefit of the multiplayer aspect of the game.

A new greek neighbor came to me recently, I helped him become a member of the neighborhood, sent him a few links on how to use his KI, told him to take notes and photos of what he sees and be careful in public chat for spoilers. He wanted me to do the ages with him, because he started that with someone he had met the previous day. Well this is something I don't agree on to begin with and something I wasn't in mood to do either because I was enjoying a marker game at that moment. So I told him to go back to the City and ask someone else, he left instead. He came back the other day and said the same, I refused, haven't seen him again. Oops another unsatisfied customer, poor service provider etc. But maybe he wouldn't stay anyway. (I think this hood is cursed.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:05 am 

angelmyst I concur, but some times you run in to people who (shall we say ) want to express their knowledge of the game unfortunately. If someone feels offended by me asking them not to give a spoiler, I find it easier just to stop the conversation right there and go on about my business.
I agree that getting them knowledgeable with the KI is probably one of the most important things a new explorer needs if they will take the time.

adi (not criticizing here)
In the end it depends on the explorer. Some don't want to be disturbed, some want a few hints, and some want a guide to take them by the hand and play with them, or tell them how to play.
This is where I will adjust strategy by asking questions: Do you need help? or Does anyone need help? is my first step,if they don't ask first. If they want a guide I can do that but they aren't getting the answers :) I can take them by the hand too,but they aren't getting the answers. I can tell them how to play too, in a way, Explore,observe,remember, click and be nice :). I like to try and get the new explorer familiar with the KI has quickly as possible if they are willing for all kinds of reasons. If someone comes to the city and asks for help, I reply "what can I help you with [name] and wait for a reply. If I don't get a reply I ask, maybe in PM, "Did you get help [name].
Hint's vs out right spoilers is or can be difficult so I try to pry the askee< :) out of what they know. Then I go from there. If I am busy at the time, I tell them I am busy and ask them if I can help them later(but I really have to be important busy be for do this) and put them on my list to check in with them later. These are just some things I do,seems to work for me.

KI 00142411

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
On the other hand, I've had the occasion where someone would come in and ask for help. I asked them, "What do you need?" or "What do you need to know?"

And the new player actually got offended! By offering to help someone who specifically asked for help, I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) was accused of condescension!

So, the moral of the story is: you can't please everyone.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:59 pm 

Some new players need a "hook" to stay. Maybe they arrive and don't see much going on, deem it boring, and never come back. Others will wander and bounce off walls with no direction at all.

IMO it is people who make up URU, not events. You make one friend and you're hooked. You make two and you're drinking the Kool-Aid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Romer Openfield wrote:
IMO it is people who make up URU, not events. You make one friend and you're hooked. You make two and you're drinking the Kool-Aid.

/bigthumpsup :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:56 pm 

[quote="Romer Openfield"]Some new players need a "hook" to stay. Maybe they arrive and don't see much going on, deem it boring, and never come back. Others will wander and bounce off walls with no direction at all.

On usefull hook I have found is to take them to my Relto....think I mentioned this before...but seeing a completed relto gives a wow effect....
If we all work together we will see more happen...this place is a wonder...and I love it!!!

KI #03313934

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:38 am 

You're right, of course.

I was a greeter back in 2003 and during all the ensuing years, the best way to introduce someone to URU is to make friends and show them around. The Relto is a great place to start. A tour of the city is impressive, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 pm 

I still find that being friendly and talking to people one on one works wonders when I'm walking around. There will always be people you won't make a good impression with, but that doesn't stop me from trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:33 am 

Word.