It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:18 am 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Uru was never intended to be connected to Myst originally but that Ubisoft felt that it wouldn't be marketable as a new IP hence the "Ages Beyond Myst" moniker. Even in that regard the story of Uru wasn't truly connected to the story of Myst until Myst V which came at a time when it was thought that Uru was well and truly gone and Myst V was intended to conclude Uru's unfinished story as well as bring everything full circle and end the franchise once and for all.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Chogon wrote:
In case anyone is wondering, I can confirm this is "the" Robyn Miller.

Thanks,
Chogon (aka Mark DeForest - Hi Robyn!)

We're getting the gang back together! :D

Loshem, from what I know, URU was born of Rand's desire to bring players to D'ni and he wanted to do so in real time virtual environments. the online multiplayer idea developed later.

URU was a Myst product from the outset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:21 am 

D'ni is hardly a core concept of Myst and Riven. It certainly had more connections to the later Myst games but it was barely even mentioned except in a couple journals and you only ever see Atrus' prison. Uru was certainly always intended to be connected to D'ni but that doesn't necessarily mean it was intended to be connected to Myst.

To use the previous Star Wars analogy: Star Wars is about the story of Luke Skywalker and his immediate family, while the expanded canon doesn't necessarily have to relate in any way to that story.. it just happens to share the "Galaxy Far Far Away..." setting.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:46 am 
Obduction Backer

robynmiller wrote:
I guess my only answer is that the Uru concept you've explained (that Cyan created the games from Catherine's journals) is obtuse and too clever for its own good.

You know you've screwed up a perfectly good canon when even one of the original designers thinks it's too confusing. I'd be interested to know what you think about the whole Bahro story and Yeesha magic and weird linking rules like having the same book take you to different instances of an Age depending on who you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:17 am 
Obduction Backer

robynmiller wrote:
Quote:
And Rand actually went to Releeshan and met Atrus.

Did I go somewhere and meet Sirrus? Please tell me I did! I must have... In preparation for my acting of the simulation.

I personally think that my version of Sirrus was more real, more undeniably wicked if you will, then Sirrus himself! Ha!

At the very least, your version was wayyyy better than the version in Myst 4. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:19 pm 

Good Morning Robyn, finally glad to meet the other person that helped created this wonderful world we continualy want to visit and very much like to see expanded. Have you been to Second Life to see how much URUites have kept the Myst worlds alive? As everyone may know there is a large fan base hanging out there waiting for something here to be released such as the fan based creations.
Welcome aboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:38 pm 

Thanks Robyn,
This is great fun!

My thoughts...
URU is not based on or concerned with the existence of "any stranger" as I ever played it.
Problems?
Maybe Yeesha talks alittle to much, but so did Atrus in MYST. Otherwise, to my surprise, I found URU every bit as satisfying as MYST, the social part adding a lot. Just a pity it never took of into the online continuous adventure of cooperation between players it should have been, still very enjoyable.
Maybe the stranger is a forum construction? At least it was on these forums, after the closing down of Mystonline on Game Tap that I first encountered the concept. I decided to think people were wrong about the stranger part and never talk about it myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

[quote="Rudolfson":nice people]Thanks Robyn,
This is great fun!

My thoughts...
URU is not based on or concerned with the existence of "any stranger" as I ever played it.
Problems?
Maybe Yeesha talks alittle to much, but so did Atrus in MYST. Otherwise, to my surprise, I found URU every bit as satisfying as MYST, the social part adding a lot. Just a pity it never took of into the online continuous adventure of cooperation between players it should have been, still very enjoyable.
Maybe the stranger is a forum construction? At least it was on these forums, after the closing down of Mystonline on Game Tap that I first encountered the concept. I decided to think people were wrong about the stranger part and never talk about it myself.[/quote:nice people]

No.. the concept of the Myst games being taken from Catherine's Journals is Cyan's doing... not these forums. But it dates from the original Uru Live - not from Myst Online under gametap. The concept of the Stranger being someone that existed, not you as you... is again, Cyan's creation, not ours. Its silly, but it is /Cyan/'s idea, not ours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeesha mentions the Stranger in her journal in Myst V. It is a concept created by Cyan after Uru at least. I have no problem with that though, both Myst and Uru are as immersive as they were when I first played them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

The concept of the journals and Catherine, though, are from before Myst V... (and thus, the "stranger" could /not/ be you)

Yeesha does mention the stranger in Myst V, though.

And I'd like to note, Atrus barely speaks at all in MYST... Yeesha delivers her monologues at the end of every Age in the prime journey... Atrus only ever speaks at the very end of Myst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:32 pm 

Yes the events took place in a game of MYST that is the fictional past of another game URU, and can be mentioned, and you can't give a name or a character, since it was each individual player so a 'mysterious stranger' is mentioned that is all those people that played those game, for those who did, and provides a back story for those who did not play previous games (the whole reason for mentioning it at all maybe), so what. That is all it is, and it is blown up to mean something. Off course it is the player all along.
I go back to never mentioning the silly thing.

Quote:
Did I go somewhere and meet Sirrus? Please tell me I did! I must have... In preparation for my acting of the simulation.

Yes you did meet Sirrus, Robyn, as a matter of fact. It is obvious. I think you had some interviews with him up in those tree huts. And yes you emerged more evil than him. I mean he is clever but to self centered to be really smart, and lacks the evil intelligence you give him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

LOVE this discussion, so much fun to get input from the source ;). . . ! Hi Robyn! :D. . . I agree your Sirrus is the BEST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:23 pm 

kaelisebonrai wrote:
And I'd like to note, Atrus barely speaks at all in MYST... Yeesha delivers her monologues at the end of every Age in the prime journey... Atrus only ever speaks at the very end of Myst.

Doesn't Atrus also speak at the beginning of Riven? And you interact with him in Myst III and Myst IV?
Or have I misread what you said? (which I think is likely)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alien wrote:
kaelisebonrai wrote:

Doesn't Atrus also speak at the beginning of Riven? And you interact with him in Myst III and Myst IV?
Or have I misread what you said? (which I think is likely)

You did - we were talking about Myst itself - and Yeesha in Uru. =P

By "MYST" I mean the first game. =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:36 pm 

am i to late to say 'hi Mr miller' any way,hi Mr Miller,thank you and your bro for the whole of the myst series,its kept me up really late on occasions but who cares!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next