It is currently Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:47 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Dr. Watson appeared in-game, in the Cavern, and said he was The One. The chatlogs were here on the forums, but they were transciptions from his visit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:52 am 
Obduction Backer

There might also be something about that on the DRC site (from RAWA). I'm not sure now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

The forum transcriptions provided by Ireen

here on the MOUL forums ... and
on the DRC forums ...

Please, read those in the Watcher's Pub --> (09/11 21:56:15) ... Enjoy ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:52 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Right. Specifically:

Quote:
(09/11 21:56:15) Dr. Watson: Yes, Pryftan. I gave the Bahro the tablet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:08 pm 

Your nerd logs mean nothing to me. I gotta keep it real :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:26 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
Right. Specifically:

Quote:

Hmm. Interesting. Watson is saying what everyone else is saying. I can think of only one explanation for this: Watson has played Myst V as well ... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:36 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Gahlen wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
Right. Specifically:

Quote:

Hmm. Interesting. Watson is saying what everyone else is saying. I can think of only one explanation for this: Watson has played Myst V as well ... 8)

Okay, smarty pants:

Quote:
(09/11 21:58:12) Dr. Watson: (No I have not played Myst V).

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12556

Swish!

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Gahlen wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
Right. Specifically:

Quote:

Okay, smarty pants:

Quote:

Swish!

The tablet is a lie! It's the only explanation! :P

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:02 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
Gahlen wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
Right. Specifically:

Quote:

Okay, smarty pants:

Quote:

Swish!

I have not player myst V.
Swosh!
PS! And it still means nothing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:54 pm 

protoomega wrote:
realXCV wrote:
Rudolfson wrote:
Nowhere did URU jump out and tell you that some other dude saved the day in MYST or Riven. It's not like that. The retcon spoken of is not there, in game.

If you exclude when Dr. Watson said he gave the tablet to the bahro.

But that's not "written" into the game-i.e. there's not a cutscene you're forced to see that tells you that information. It was a one-time event and the only place to find it out is here in the forums.

Of course it was a one-time event. That is the nature of Uru. Phil's accident was also a one-time event, but it was definitely written into the game! If you were there when Dr. Watson said that, you were forced to see it. It wasn't like he announced well ahead of time that he was going to say something Earth-shattering and that the faint of heart had better stay away. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Free Bird wrote:
protoomega wrote:

But that's not "written" into the game-i.e. there's not a cutscene you're forced to see that tells you that information. It was a one-time event and the only place to find it out is here in the forums.

Of course it was a one-time event. That is the nature of Uru. Phil's accident was also a one-time event, but it was definitely written into the game! If you were there when Dr. Watson said that, you were forced to see it.

Perzactly, and one of the things that made Uru very different (good different or bad different, depending on who you talked to) was the persistence of story. Events happened in real time, on real schedules. Except for obvious recordings, events unfolded in front of us, and stayed that way. Other games have had pre-announced events, where you might get live NPCs, usually doing limited, scripted stuff, but I don't think anyone else has done truly dynamic story with live NPCs.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Other games have had live events (the matrix comes to mind), but I'm not sure how much the story changed as a result of ithem. I think there's been some others who tried it, never with great success. Unless you are running 24 x 7 events in all the servers and in all the areas in-game that people tend to congregate, they don't tend to be very satisfying. I think (could be wrong) that Rift is running live events. I'll have to see if they are doing so, and if so, how it's working out.

I'm still not sure how important the live events were, when Uru was first designed. I know they got important later. When Prologue happened, I assumed that Cyan had live events because they didn't want to expend the resources to do do something in-game that all of us could experience. Another interesting thing -- in beta there was not one single "live event", not one. For something thought to be so key to the Uru experience, wouldn't they have wanted to test it out, even with a story they didn't plan to release when the game went live?

Here's the weird thing about live events -- the idea is that they are important even if very few people saw them. To me, that defeats the whole purpose of an interactive experience, it's very second hand. And to me, that's not very satisfying.

-------------
Now other games do have things like festivals. I was blown away by those. I was used to Uru festivals were nothing changed and we all had to pretend something was different. In other online game festivals, the world changes, for festival, you get new stuff and there are things such as new games that give you rewards. It's just different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:58 am 
Obduction Backer

mszv wrote:
Now other games do have things like festivals. I was blown away by those. I was used to Uru festivals were nothing changed and we all had to pretend something was different. In other online game festivals, the world changes, for festival, you get new stuff and there are things such as new games that give you rewards. It's just different.

The way you've stated your thoughts on this, you make it seem as though Uru didn't have these things at all. It did... though it didn't come anywhere near to the level realized by other games. Examples: New Years banner, pumpkins, Christmas tree and menorah, Santa hats, St. Patrick's Day hats. Unfortunately, that's a near complete list. So much untapped potential remained...

I think the vision for Uru was to have these things as much as other games, and more... Rand has gone on record about how he wanted a game where every day, any day, you could log in and discover something different. But during Prologue, Cyan was still working out bugs and the game was still very much "beta" (remember how bad city lag was, and how Teledahn became un-synchronized for multiple players). And in MOUL, we now know they just didn't have the manpower.

Back to the original issue of live events, I've heard varying stories, always second hand, that Cyan introduced the live events as a stopgap until Beta was over. Other times I've heard that live events were the plan all along. Sometimes I've really wondered if all of Cyan was on the same page about it.

Live events in other worlds do happen, as you mentioned, and when the event is done, it's done. But these events tend to span multiple days and involve scripted events as well as direct manipulation by the designers. Such events can advance the story, and have - World of Warcraft has used live events several times - first significantly when they opened Ahn'Qiraj, and then they've done it each time they're about to launch a new expansion. Players joining the game later live in the world affected by these events. The outcome of the story is predetermined by the designers... but only those who were there can say they participated, and those people may have special in-game items or titles to represent that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:09 am 
Obduction Backer

My gripe was that the live events were always in US time after Europe had gone to bed. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

In fact most live events happened during US working hours. So Europeans had a better chance to run into them than Americans with a busy day time job.

I live in Europe and witnessed nearly every live event in my evening hours.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next