It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:30 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think we scared Robyn away.

:?

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lyrositor wrote:
Is the PRIMA guide canon?

Prima Official eGuides - Read them your self. - :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mowog wrote:

:?

Mowog

Oh no, on the contrary, Robyn is very busy with his documentary and he was gracious enough to leave an active e-mail link in his profile here. He would welcome any questions you may have. Bear in mind his interest lies in Myst and Riven as he was not involved in the additional sequels and Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lyrositor wrote:
Is the PRIMA guide canon? I know pretty much for sure that the Riven one is (I have it somewhere, and I seem to recall it saying it was done in cooperation with Cyan), but was it the same for Myst V?

In general they're not. In particular, I recall RAWA being somewhat put out by the stuff in the Revelation guide pertaining to the DRC. However, even stopped clocks can be right twice a day. There's some gems to be mined from the guides, as long as they have independent confirmation, either from other canon sources – like the games – or directly from Cyan. As a general rule of thumb, though, the narrated journal approach that the guides take should be treated as a framing device, and not canon, since it's my understanding that Cyan usually has little-to-no involvement in writing them. It's something of a tradition going back to the Myst guide, which has the guide-writer finding the Myst Book in an L.A. library while looking for books on photography (because almost everything in the game is a still picture, get it?). Obviously anything in any of the guides that is written more objectively is better canon-fodder, like the "making of Uru" section of the Complete Chronicles guide, or the interview with some of the Cyan folk in the End of Ages guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:30 pm 

After nearly fifteen pages, I think the time for a bit of reflection has arrived.

Myst has always let you interpret its fictional universe in your own way. Some choose to think of themselves as the person who saved Atrus and his family (I'm one of those people) and others choose to think of themselves as playing out the role of the Stranger. People rarely, if ever, switch sides, at least not after becoming aware of the full Uru story. Either side prefers its own point of the view to the alternative and considers it right (which doesn't imply that the other side is necessarily wrong). This part of the equation has not changed.

Before this thread, one side held a view that was backed by Cyan and one side seemingly did not. Since this thread was started, both views are championed by one of the Miller brothers (I'm restricting the term "Miller brothers" to just Rand and Robyn here) and, if they weren't equally valid before, they certainly are now. This is a good thing. There's no need for anyone to get upset about anything, except maybe for people who wish to continue to believe that saying "I'm the one that saved Atrus' family" is somehow wrong, because it isn't, never was and never will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Those are excellent guides! Prima did a wonderful job with those. Barba and Demaria set a great precedent with the narrative journal premise and I thought the writing had great humor. Quite entertaining for a strategy guide. And the ABM/CC guide followed a similar approach, not to mention the full color making of section in the Complete Chronicles guide is an excellent source of Myst series and Cyan information. It is very complete and very extensive. However, I don't know how closely Prima worked with Cyan on those guides. as Alahmnat said, much of what is provided is cannon but not everything. Then again, who's to say what's Myst cannon anymore? people will all prescribe to their own interpretations. Obviously, what Cyan says is cannon is cannon. but people have had issues accepting the stranger, trapbook, myst island retcons and will believe what they will.

I wouldn't go so far as to consider a strategy guide itself canonical, however. Things one says can ascribe to established canon, but inventive narrative or not a guide cannot be considered a legitimate entry in a fiction series.

I used to read those guides again and again, just like a novel, simply for the story they told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

To continue to briefly derail this thread again on the subject of the Prima guides, I've always loved that Prima's original Uru: Ages Beyond Myst book was taglined "The Official Travel Guide" (rather than their standard "The Official Strategy Guide"). Whether that was Cyan's idea or the author and/or publisher having an "aha" moment of supreme cleverness, I like how it played into the notion that Uru was a "real thing that's happening right now".

Post subject: Questions?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:37 pm 

Mowog wrote:

I'm a little busy.

If anyone has questions about Myst, Riven, the early days of Cyan, game/story design, or what I'm doing now, don't hesitate to ask!

That's the stuff I know about. I really don't know much about anything post-Riven so I may not be able to answer questions about that, other than my opinions about those products and their relation to Myst and Riven.

Post subject: Re: Questions?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

robynmiller wrote:
I really don't know much about anything post-Riven so I may not be able to answer questions about that, other than my opinions about those products and their relation to Myst and Riven.

Have you played all the other games in the series (counting Uru ; by the way, do you have a MO:ULa account, if you don't mind sharing of course ?).

Post subject: Re: Questions?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 pm 

Lyrositor wrote:
robynmiller wrote:
I really don't know much about anything post-Riven so I may not be able to answer questions about that, other than my opinions about those products and their relation to Myst and Riven.

Have you played all the other games in the series (counting Uru ; by the way, do you have a MO:ULa account, if you don't mind sharing of course ?).

Great question! I played a little bit of all the games except number four. Just to see what they were. I got more of a chance to wander around Uru. My son, Alex, and I even got a chance to beta test Uru a bit of it during it's development!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Robyn's beta testing was actually written into the storyline like a brief cameo. The old version of the DRC website had this posted a few days after the first five (non-Cyan and friends) beta testers were accepted into Choru (early beta):

-------------------------------
3.25.02 A residential doorway structure in Bevin has been found to have certain stability issues that pose a hazard to those who try to enter it. For safety reasons, please stay away from the door. As a reminder, cones have been placed in the area. Special thanks to the explorers for help in dealing with this problem.

Robyn Miller returned to D'ni for the first time in several years. Reports indicate that he was given a tour of Bevin by a pair of explorers. Again special thanks to those explorers.

Dr. Watson will be returning to the surface during the week in order to orchestrate the transportation of needed supplies. However, he still intends to stop by Bevin on Friday for a check on the progress of the neighborhood as well as a quick question and answer session.

Douglas Sharper's journal also contains the following entry:

3.27.02 - Enjoyed talking to Robyn and Rand again. Nice guys. Hadn't seen them in a long time. The new authorized explorers seem to be enjoying themselves. Fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Interesting role-playing... Do you have a favorite sequel, though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:11 am 
Obduction Backer

This thread really needs to be changed to "Ask Robyn" :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:23 am 
Obduction Backer

/me wonders if robynmiller 'still donates'..sry couldn't resist

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:20 pm 

I have another question for Robyn, but it contains spoilers for those who haven't finished Riven yet.
[spoiler]Ignoring all of Riven's endings that don't involve opening the Star Fissure, Riven can end in four ways:

1. The good ending: Gehn is trapped, Catherine is saved, Atrus is happy, I go home.
2. The bittersweet ending: Gehn is trapped, Catherine is not saved, Atrus is sad, I go home.
3. The bad ending: Gehn is not trapped, Catherine is not saved, Atrus is killed, I am killed.
4. The weird ending: Gehn is not trapped, Catherine is not saved, Atrus is not present, I go home.

The weird ending can only occur if you guess the code or save the game before going to Tay, getting the code there and loading the game again. I've always wondered what the idea behind this ending was. Nothing really happens other than the act of opening the Star Fissure and falling into it. Was this ending not worked out to save time? Was it done to punish the player for cheating? The only reason I can think of why the bad ending couldn't have been used is because Cho is still lying there beneath that cliff, darted and all. I can see why Gehn doesn't show up, but not why Atrus doesn't. An explanation like "He didn't expect me to be done so soon" seems a bit contrived, because for all Atrus knows Catherine may have defeated Gehn (with help from the rebels) and be standing right at the link-in spot to welcome him.[/spoiler]
I'm also curious about the format Myst's music is stored in. I'd be willing to pay good money if Cyan were willing to release the original files, provided they're in a format I can play back. And of course someone would still have to have them somewhere.
And then there's the intro to Myst. It ends with the Myst book landing at the bottom of the Star Fissure, where I, the player, somehow stumble upon it and use it. At least, that's one possible interpretation. Is it also the intended interpretation or should I not take the intro so literally? I mean, these credits appearing next to the falling book are kind of weird too.
About that Myst book... I know RAWA has answered this question before, but I'm interested in hearing your take. It's the only Myst book in the entire game that lands at (or slightly above) the dock, with all other Myst books leading to the library. What's the reason behind this?
Well, that's all for now. It's kind of hard, when you start writing a question, to get to the end of it without thinking of another question. I started this post with the intention of asking just one question, but new ones kept popping up... ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next