It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Three questions.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:54 pm 

Free Bird wrote:
I have another question for Robyn, but it contains spoilers for those who haven't finished Riven yet.
[spoiler]Ignoring all of Riven's endings that don't involve opening the Star Fissure, Riven can end in four ways:

1. The good ending: Gehn is trapped, Catherine is saved, Atrus is happy, I go home.
2. The bittersweet ending: Gehn is trapped, Catherine is not saved, Atrus is sad, I go home.
3. The bad ending: Gehn is not trapped, Catherine is not saved, Atrus is killed, I am killed.
4. The weird ending: Gehn is not trapped, Catherine is not saved, Atrus is not present, I go home.

The weird ending can only occur if you guess the code or save the game before going to Tay, getting the code there and loading the game again. I've always wondered what the idea behind this ending was. Nothing really happens other than the act of opening the Star Fissure and falling into it. Was this ending not worked out to save time? Was it done to punish the player for cheating? The only reason I can think of why the bad ending couldn't have been used is because Cho is still lying there beneath that cliff, darted and all. I can see why Gehn doesn't show up, but not why Atrus doesn't. An explanation like "He didn't expect me to be done so soon" seems a bit contrived, because for all Atrus knows Catherine may have defeated Gehn (with help from the rebels) and be standing right at the link-in spot to welcome him.[/spoiler]

I'm also curious about the format Myst's music is stored in. I'd be willing to pay good money if Cyan were willing to release the original files, provided they're in a format I can play back. And of course someone would still have to have them somewhere.

And then there's the intro to Myst. It ends with the Myst book landing at the bottom of the Star Fissure, where I, the player, somehow stumble upon it and use it. At least, that's one possible interpretation. Is it also the intended interpretation or should I not take the intro so literally? I mean, these credits appearing next to the falling book are kind of weird too.
About that Myst book...

Hi... thanks for the great questions!.

1. The only way to achieve the ending you mentioned is by a weird cheat. I can't see that we would have ever gone to much work trying to create an amazing ending, or even a completely logical ending, for something that was a cheat. You cheater! :-)

2. You mentioned the Myst music as original files... what kind of files do you mean? The music is for sale on CD-R via Amazon... it's pretty decent quality. You can also still find the original Myst CD, also on Amazon.

3. In the Myst intro, the book doesn't exactly land at the bottom of the star fissure... there is no bottom. During Myst and Riven, we always thought of the star fissure as a sort of rip between ages (or universes) caused by Gehn's complete misinterpretation of the Art. The book of Myst falls through this rip. Atrus has no idea to whom or to where it will go: it's understandably "unsettling" to him. Because it could end up on any age. But it ends up on earth, where you (the player) happen upon it. I always imagine you (the player) come across it in some startling way. But that's left purposefully undefined.

As to the credits... an artistic license.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:02 am 
Obduction Backer

About question2- i think he means releasing the master files. Whether he means all the sound samples in the tracks or the tracks themselves in the highest possible quality, i don't know. Both things have been done before by musical artists or at least very close but are pretty rare.

Post subject: Re: Three questions.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:03 am 

robynmiller wrote:
Hi... thanks for the great questions!.

Thank you for answering them! :D

robynmiller wrote:
2. You mentioned the Myst music as original files... what kind of files do you mean? The music is for sale on CD-R via Amazon... it's pretty decent quality. You can also still find the original Myst CD, also on Amazon.

Well, in the Making of Myst you can not only be seen playing your synthesizer, but also editing the compositions on your Mac. So I figured the music would be stored in some other format than just PCM, not necessarily MIDI, but something like it...

You seem to have missed my last question:
Free Bird wrote:
About that Myst book... I know RAWA has answered this question before, but I'm interested in hearing your take. It's the only Myst book in the entire game that lands at (or slightly above) the dock, with all other Myst books leading to the library. What's the reason behind this?

I'm not complaining that you didn't answer it, just curious!

Finally, some answers lead to new questions. You mentioned that D'ni wasn't originally intended to be an Earth. Now, I started wondering, why do Atrus and the others speak English if they're not from Earth?

Thanks again for taking the time to answering so many questions! I promise you I'm done for now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
About that Myst book... I know RAWA has answered this question before, but I'm interested in hearing your take. It's the only Myst book in the entire game that lands at (or slightly above) the dock, with all other Myst books leading to the library. What's the reason behind this?

the reason behind this is because the particular Myst linking book the stranger finds was written to link to the dock. the other Myst linking books are written to link to the library. Linking books can be written to link to anywhere in an age. from a gameplay standpoint, they act as different "spawnpoints" so to speak.

Quote:
You mentioned that D'ni wasn't originally intended to be an Earth. Now, I started wondering, why do Atrus and the others speak English if they're not from Earth?

obviously, a lot of things that may have been intended didn't turn out as planned. in the Book of Artus and Ti'anna, the cleft is presented as being located in some nondiscript middle eastern desert area. canonically, it is explained that the books were written this way to conceal the real entrance to D'ni in New Mexico USA. presuming that Myst takes place in the 1800s, Anna, and by extension, Gehn, Artus, Catherine, and the latter two's children would all have known English.

also, credit sequences are considered nondiagetic. meaning they exist outside of the context of the fiction.

as to your question about the Riven ending, it is possible, i believe, to accidentally stumble upon the correct combination by chance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Free Bird wrote:
Finally, some answers lead to new questions. You mentioned that D'ni wasn't originally intended to be an Earth. Now, I started wondering, why do Atrus and the others speak English if they're not from Earth?

If the universe is infinitely probable than it's infinitely probable that somewhere in the universe someone else speaks English.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Last edited by Trekluver on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
As to your question about the Riven ending, it is possible, i believe, to accidentally stumble upon the correct combination by chance.

It is very easy on the iOS version because there are a max of four possible combinations. I'm not revealing them here, but I think it must have been to save space since the app was so big.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Trekluver wrote:
Free Bird wrote:

If the universe is infinitely probable than it's infinitely probable that somewhere in the universe someone else speaks English.

Then again, maybe all D'ni have a babelfish in their ear. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:44 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm interested in hearing more answers from Robyn too.

Free Bird, those really *were* great questions!

I know the question regarding music is about studio originals prior to being compressed and encoded for Myst - just an FYI for anyone who just wants "all the music that didn't make it onto the audio CD", there's always Riveal. http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22868

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:52 am 

Free Bird wrote:
Well, in the Making of Myst you can not only be seen playing your synthesizer, but also editing the compositions on your Mac. So I figured the music would be stored in some other format than just PCM, not necessarily MIDI, but something like it...

Unfortunately, I've long since lost any MIDI files or anything like them.

Free Bird wrote:

Some things are (or were) done for the sake of convenience. When linking back to Myst island with a red or blue page, it's just easier to link directly to the library. We took artistic liberties to do that... the linking books should probably all link to the dock, but we never imagined there would be "forums" discussing the various inconsistencies of the game we were creating! :-) And really, our priority was to make it as playable as possible.

Free Bird wrote:

I should point out that it have never occurred to us to not make the game in something other than english and we began the production of Myst with no logic behind the decision. It just had to be english.

During Myst and during the design of Riven, we knew Earth was an Age; that was a given. At a certain point, and I don't have a clear idea when, we decided that it was the D'ni who wrote and then colonized earth (though there could have been a population on earth already) bringing english along with them.

I thought this was something that Rand, Richard (Vander Wende) and I designed, but I guess it's possible that Richard V.W. created this as backstory for our own design and story work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Lyrositor wrote:
Trekluver wrote:
Free Bird wrote:

Then again, maybe all D'ni have a babelfish in their ear. :wink:

Don't put that in your ear!! You dunno where it's been :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:13 am 

robynmiller wrote:
Unfortunately, I've long since lost any MIDI files or anything like them.

That's unfortunate. But then again, that's life...

I'm so happy I got to ask all these questions and have them answered too. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Speaking of Myst sounds, I'm using the linking sound as the ringtone on my KI.

:)

Mowog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:45 pm 

I've been trying to find out if this question was ever answered officially. I can't imagine it not being, but I can't find the answer either! So if it was answered before - sorry about that...

Why was Catherine played by Sheila Goold but voiced by Rengin Altay in Riven?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Since we are on the subject of sound in Riven I myself have a question that has plagued me for 14 years. What was used for the sound fx in the spinning domes and the rotating palace? I am haunted by these sounds in my daily life, my dishwasher, my garage door opening......would love to put this to rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Funny you should bring up that firemarble dome sound. The other night we were testing out air conditioner sound effects for our show and the first thing that came to mind was the firemarble dome spinning sound.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next