It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:40 am 

Loshem wrote:
Hi Robyn!
I just want to thank you for the countless hours of my life Ive spent playing and replaying these masterpieces throughout the years. I cant think of a better world to have been lost in :)

Thanx Robyn for starting this topic ... And RAWA and all of You who contributed .. This is just so great!

And I agree what Loshem write .. Cant't think of a better way to keep alive my Imagination than play these "Games" and try and figure out this & that's of them. And to add something to all this ... Just because You don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there! The Myst Island, Riven .. all these places are never "finished". They keep growing in our Imagination. There's always still new things to be found. Both seen and unseen.

And reg. "Stranger" .. He's no Stranger to me as he IS me! Might be that at the start of Myst Atrus message is caught up by someone [me], he don't yet know about. And the brothers are addressing [via the Books] somebody they don't know who it is. But "I" am always present .. exploring, making progress, making my own choises, I think . or am I not?

/ Max /

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Might be a bit off topic, but since this is THE thread to talk with Robyn:

Did you create a MOULa account yet? We'd love you to join us in Ae'gura or one of the neighborhoods some day :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

It has always been my understanding that even though the Stranger was a real person (as Yeesha specifically writes about him or her), his or her specific identity has never been fleshed out so as to allow us to continue to believe it was us (or someone exactly like us) who were playing the games.

I doubt there were ever any plans at Cyan to ever reveal anything specific to us, for it might ruin the experience for someone. If it were confirmed that the Stranger were a man, suddenly he or she couldn't possibly be just like a large number of people who play the games. If the Stranger liked chess, it would have the same effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

robynmiller wrote:
Before I answer any more questions, I should say this... the correct concept and philosophy of Myst (or Riven, or Uru) is probably whatever concept allows you to have the most fun playing it. Myst is yours... the fans. And the most I can do is tell you what we, the designers, originally intended for the Myst experience.

It's a shame I haven't had time to read this thread in depth, but I really enjoyed this post. I love the idea that games can have open ends and it's up to the player to perceive it how they wish.

Sigh... if I didn't keep myself so busy then I'd have time to read this thing! Sometimes life frustrates me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:45 pm 

dragossh wrote:

Did you create a MOULa account yet? We'd love you to join us in Ae'gura or one of the neighborhoods some day :)

I want to know the answer to this question as well. Would be nice having Robyn in cavern. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:40 pm 

Thanks to Robyn for initiating this wonderful discussion. It's nice to see so many Mysties come out of the woodwork and join in. I played Myst & Riven in the '90s and got sucked in the way everyone did ... but when the notion of the stranger emerged, I must say I had no problem with it. It still doesn't feel like playing a "character," it feels like I'm witnessing these events, even if they happened 200 years ago. (Which wasn't decided till sometime around the composition of Uru, by the way: check out the introduction to Prima's original hintbook for Myst, where the player is indeed a character, but a contemporary one.) I also need to weigh in in favor of Myst IV--beautiful, intricate, deep game, second only to Riven, for my money--but I totally agree on the inferiority of that game's hotheaded Sirrus to Robyn's cold arrogance. I prefer the "caveman Achenar" of Myst IV, however, to Rand's giggly psychopath.

Thanks to all,

Bob Reeves

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:59 pm 

This thread reminded me of when I heard they were going to make a Myst movie. As excited as I got, the first thought that popped into my head was: who's going to play me?

The concept of the stranger actually confused me when I first played URU. You get used to your role in the games and then when you get to URU your role changes.

It's great that for now that concept is open ended and left to each players own interpretation, but if the filmmakers do make a film based off of the actual games I wonder how they'll handle that character and how it's going to affect each players perceptions.

It's funny how Myst becomes something so very personal to each player because of the way you experience everything that happens in the game. Being a part of the story is what makes it special. Personally, when I play URU, I still imagine being the same person that helped Atrus all those years before. I've just gotten, you know, really old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:08 pm 
Cyan Employee

robynmiller wrote:
I have no real idea what you're getting at but I almost feel like I should say I'm sorry? Sorry!

It's all good, Robyn!

Just trying to provide context for why you and I might give completely different answers to the same questions. :)

Carry on! I've learned some new things in this thread, too!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:20 pm 

AgeExplorer wrote:
dragossh wrote:

I want to know the answer to this question as well. Would be nice having Robyn in cavern. :)

First he supposedly endured beeing locked in in à basement, now you want him in a cavern, what is nice about that? :p

sorry, could not resist

Last edited by Rudolfson on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nith wrote:
This thread reminded me of when I heard they were going to make a Myst movie. As excited as I got, the first thought that popped into my head was: who's going to play me?

LOL yeah, Brad Pit would be the perfect choice to play me :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Rudolfson wrote:
First he supposedly endured beeing locked in a basement, now you want him in a cavern, what is nice about that? :p

Well... it was more like Robyn and Richard VanderWende (and Josh Staub) were on the main floor and Rand and Rich (and Chris, Heather, John and I) were stuffed into the attic! :-)

--Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:22 pm 

Nith wrote:

From what we've been told on the Myst movie site, they're avoiding portraying the Stranger. Er... you. Me. :P Rather, instead of just following the plot of one of the games, they're either using the novels or making up a brand new story. I'm not sure which because we haven't been updated in a while. :( Dang ol' Hollywood vows of silence... :x

Getting somewhat back on topic, just wanted to say I hope you make more music, Mr. Miller. Myst, Riven, and Ambo all still have a special place on my mp3 player. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:34 pm 

this has been fabulous - seeing robyn post (finally, lol) and seeing so much good discussion! from cyanists (always great to see you guys posting! ) to all the 'standard/regular' posters and those who haven't posted in quite some time. it's absolutely wonderful! :D

the stranger is a 'she' and she is me! that's how i've always felt about it - from the orginal myst and then riven and even in uru - to a point in uru, that is. it's one of those 'mystery' things that was never able to be fully explored or explained...with yeesha's abilities with warping time, i would not have been surprised to find out that that 'stranger' that visited myst all that time ago was actually me and happened a result of my being called to the cavern...

as for the movie - if it really does come to pass and IS made, it should be done from 1st person perspective. that would give the viewers a similar viewpoint as we had in myst and riven and keep up the 'mystery' of just who it is that is visiting the d'ni. or it could be done with a 'narrator' approach when telling the story - you'd have the scenes playing out with the narration explaining things over top. it really depends on which book is used as the base for the movie, though - or if they would go with using one of the games as the base...

Image ki #101936

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

robynmiller wrote:
Hi everyone!

Shorah ! :)

robynmiller wrote:
thank you endlessly for loving Myst!

More than "love"... :wink:
A big thank to all the team for have done the "Myst saga" (specialy the "Uru part" that have give us the possibility to play with other people) ! 8)
Isn't that the "Releeshahn" of our community than to play together :?:

PS. :
I must admit that I'd like to put more than a short walk, one of these days... :roll:

-- manloc

/?t - "jukebox"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:02 pm 

Hi everyone once again... thanks for your continued posts. It's so much here! I had no idea!

I respect Rich (RAWA) enormously but it bothers me that there's continued misinformation out there about something.

And so RAWA, some of this is directly for you...

When I first Star Wars Episode I, I was disappointed (for a number of reasons). But I was probably most disappointed at the new description of the Force. In the original three films, the Force was a spiritual force… something that bound the entire universe together… something flowing through all of us. That was pure magic. But in the prequel, in his attempts to be enforce logic--almost a dogmatic logic--on the Star Wars universe, George Lucas made the Force biological. He changed the rules.

I'm using this as an analogy... the player of Myst was never meant to play a role of a separate character (the stranger), and the Myst experience was never a simulation of a historic experience as interpreted form someone's journals (Catherine). Like Lucas' change of mind about the force, all this was a change, for the sake of logic. But at the cost of magic.

According to Rich, this retrofitting was necessary, because new back-story required the change. But over time, this new ancillary "truth" (created for the sake of back-story) replaced the original concepts we created for Myst. They replaced the original concepts of "you are you" and "the stranger" has become the new truth.

So Rich... I just think all of this is a bummer and that's what I'm saying. Because with this change of "the stranger", Myst becomes a more passive experience. Myst becomes a historic recreation rather than live events that are happening to you, right now. That's not a world. That's more like a book. We might as well have written a book. Someone above said this very well. They said Tolkien did the same thing when he wrote Lord of the Rings (a reinterpretation of a journal). But Tolkien wrote books, and books are passive experiences. With Myst, and Riven, we worked very hard to create an active experience that take place in the present, while you play… with you personally living it. You're there. You are in the world. I would never have created Myst if I thought it would become a passive simulation of a historic character. I might as well have written a movie.

With all this said, I think it's important to restate that each player must interpret the Myst experience in their own way. If they like the concept of the stranger, they should play it with that in mind! But if they don't like it, then it might be comforting to know that it was never there, and was stuck onto things long after the fact (I'm sure with the best of intentions).

Quote:
We had all day for me to throw every question possible at him from linking theory and quantum mechanics to Atrus' backstory.

The Atrus' backstory was still in its infancy during the creation of Myst; this may be was Rich is talking about. D'ni (spelled Dunny back then) existed as a rough concept) but Atrus' actual story wouldn't be drawn out in great detail until our work on The Book of Atrus, which was outlined and written during the middle of Riven. That's when came up with Atrus' childhood, the cleft, Anna, Catherine, and the events that took place between Gehn and Atrus.

Quote:
It was already solidified in Rand's mind. None of his answers were "What if..." or "I don't know, maybe..." kinds of things, as if we were hammering out new things as we went along.

During the creation of Myst, Rand and I continually asked questions about everything you could think of. It was a constant process to solidify the un-solidified by saying, "what if..." and "I don't know, maybe…". We shaped and molded and pressed. Slowly. That's the creative process... We weren't sure of ourselves at all, though you imply Rand was. Rand was open minded to any new idea and he asked and listened without prejudice. I hope I did as well. (And did I mention we had a blast designing Myst.)

Quote:
1) My first repsonses (via snail mail, we didn't even have email back then) to people asking questions about the Myst backstory always treated the events of Myst as historical. (1993-1994)

The above point illustrates what I'm trying to get at. You may have told people, in your letters, that the events of the Myst game were historical, but you said this with little aesthetic sensitivity to the original intent and design of Myst. Maybe you weren't aware of our original intent. I don't know... maybe you just began to over-think the logic behind Myst.

Once again, to the fans of the Myst world… I adore you! Thank you for everything! You have no idea how much you've inspired me… I know that sounds weird but it's so true. So endless thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next