It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:16 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 132  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:26 pm 

Well put.

James 1:19
"... Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's not a question of having forgotten. It's more that until some point or change or whatever happens - there isn't much that any one can do other than to enjoy the current status quo. albeit, not one we like as our first choice.
Any suggestion that is feasible and would effect positive movement forward - a generous donation from a multi-trillionaire or whatever ... would be received with incredible enthusiasm, but ... otherwise right now - with the economy of the world in slow motion for the moment ... the status quo is far better than other possibilities or am I mistaken? Have I fallen prey to the same deadening .. you get my point. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is truly sad to see the cavern this way as I do remember how alive it was only a short time ago. I lost all my connections with other players when MOUL shut down so I haven't been there much myself. There aren't many reasons for me to visit as I don't know anyone save for a few acquaintances but I'm trying to find more time to.

However, as Zack said, there isn't a whole lot we can do right now. Not while we're stuck in this sudo open source phase. There is community content ready to go but Cyan just doesn't have the resources for implementation right now. :(

I won't give my opinions on why this is as I'm sure no one wants to here me rant / it's probably been said before. I just hope that this quiet spell is short lived. I would love to see the cavern in it's former glory again but the best we can do at the moment is keep the dream alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
It's actually a question of bad timing.

You've obviously arrived in the city when it's quiet, probably in the early morning. If you come to Ae'gura later in the afternoon, then you will see a busy Ae'gura!

We're Not Dead Yet!

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

In the case of bad timing, my schedule has me down there pretty sporadically (albeit not recently). The most frequent time I'm there is between 6:00 and 9:00 pm KI time and I've seen no more than 8 people.

Obviously there would be more at a scheduled event but they seem to have a funny way of falling on times that I can't make for one reason or another.

I agree wholeheartedly that it's not dead. Just rather quiet at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's not dead. if the server were indefinently offline with no open source pending then it would be dead. zombie is a good way to describe it. neither living nor dead. like, lights are on but nobody's home. and it is regrettable. i missed out on the days during which URU was live and every veteran from those days has fond recollections of them that i don't have. i wish i could experience something similar. what we can do is await a day when URU has the opportunity to live and breath and grow again. a day when new ages and new streets of d'ni are discovered and populated by fresh and familiar faces. but for now, sadly, this vision is just pending... i'll hold out until the day it becomes reality. until such a day as i can see it and know it for myself. and i'll wait as long as i have to...

but there is life, ain't no mistaking it. the people are there, the cavern breaths. there are friendly folk to mingle with and new explorers discovering d'ni anew each day. i go there myself and i see it. i don't know how it can be missed but it's there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

URU is still very much alive, and not even in a zombie sense. Many people are planning bigger and better things for URU and the Myst community. (Myself included) The biggest problem is that these things take a long time to accomplish because we all have to live our real lives. I'd like to give out secrets on what I'm working on but I can't. I can say that, while not related, ADBMM will be back next year so we will hopefully see URU very much alive during that time period.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just in case those reading this thread do not know what ADBMM is, (like me) check this:

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24451

I realize that spelling out things or places gets redundant and we need acronyms for those.. but for the newbies it would be nice to know what they mean and where to get more info? I, for one, had no idea...

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sorry Charura, I probably should have put a link to that article. But yes, it will be back next year with more great stuff to do in, or out of cavern. I may even shorten it to a week or two because it seamed very dragged out doing in from May 1st till May 31st. Not everyone could make it to everything doing it like that.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:00 am 
Obduction Backer

So.. I made the effort to see what TOOO was talking about, myself and 3 friends came to the city, TOOO was there... and so were about 6(?) other people.

Branan and I suggested a Pub-Dance Party, like in the old days, and were met with silence. Luna and I ran around the city... again, mostly silence.

So, all we actually saw were about 6 people around the map... not saying much, or just talking within their little group.

This is /not/ the Uru I remember.

In D'mala, for example, spontaneous dance parties would start up (no, they were /not/ all planned events)...

People would be talking to everyone, teaching people how to climb the tent, for example, running spontaneous sardines games... People talked outside their little groups, and you were made to feel /welcome/..

What I saw yesterday was not a living Uru. Sorry, but if this is what people are calling a living, breathing Cavern, what they are calling a living Uru... they clearly weren't around in the past, or have forgotten.

Oh, and I'll just note here, what time this was at for me. It was around 2 am. If that's the only time that there's even a semblance of activity in Uru... Things are especially bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:34 pm 

We should play a mass Uru day. On certain day all of us should login on uru at once! Let's fill the city and hoods, See if we can bring some life back!

James 1:19
"... Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Yes, kalise, I remember seeing you and lun(anne) playing tag in Ae'gura.

But again, you were too early. If you'd stayed for just another hour you would have seen the City fill up. And I'm not just saying this. I've always called that time The D'ni Rush Hour, when Ae'gura fills up to maybe 20 people - curiously, mostly newbies.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

People who only see URU as "dead" only seem to want to see URU as dead... thus, that's all they're gonna see even if excitement and activity remains to be seen...

if it's dead what point is there in hanging around? don't be such a drag! get involved, get friendly, and have a good time.

there *are* times when not much is going on... it's gonna happen anywhere but it never lasts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Spontaneous sardines didn't even extend back into D'mala. Back in the early months from when MOULa launched, it was easy to go into the city and announce on my buddies list "Anybody up for a game of sardines?" People would say "Yay, I'm in!" or "What's sardines?" and would be genuinely interested. Now it's just met with silence... rather saddening really.

My fondest sardines memory was when we had a group of around 30 or so playing after the three day game outage last year. As people logged back into the game, they just joined in the fun!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 132  Next