It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 132  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:04 pm 

What about STEAM? I know your games are available on them but could you run adds for them on this forum. Kind of a "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". It seems STEAM has been good so far. I know most of my cohorts found your games and Uru through STEAM. Several Iphone users as well. Also, I know this will anger some, but how about in game ads for STEAM and other products ( as being discussed already in this post)? Even stupid things like somebody putting an old school arcade game of Half Life in a neighborhood. Goofy things like that people will enjoy seeing and maybe can be fun things for people to wonder around and look for. We have some really sharp and creative people on this forum who could probably program something like that and test it. Just a though.

And by the way, RAWA your sarcasm knows no bounds, you had me laughing pretty good. I love your posts.... And Chongs too. You guys keep this forum fun when you jump into posts that get out of control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:36 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

mr_jimmy wrote:
And Chongs too.

Dave's not here.

Post subject: CAVCON
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:16 am 

OK now, after reading more posts I'm getting a better sense of the situation now.

First, I though adi's post was a good idea for boosting reserves by holding a In-Cavern Game event. Couldn't hurt!

Deep Island has the rotating message sign in Kirel, also in the Ae'gura City by the tent to tell explorers about Pod Books being available. Why not have one in MOUL,a by the tent for CAVCON Level? Maybe if explorers had something to see when they are in the game about it's financial health, that reminding awareness might remind them to donate more often.
It could provide explorers (players) with In-Game Real Time CAVCON Status.
I suggest this only because maybe like me, lots of the players don't often get to the forums or here to see or think donation.
Something In-Game to remind us might help?

I also thought, if possible, if you could provide explorers with a monthly ball park amount needed by each?
Not sure exactly why we can't use or talk dollars and cents (sense), but I get from posts it's not done because. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:04 pm 

KI mails can be edited once they've been sent, right? And everyone can see the edits? If nothing else, explorers could pass a CAVCON Ki mail around, which could be updated each week with the current CAVCON status. That way everyone who had the Ki mail would be able to be reminded of the CAVCON status in game. The only problem I can think of is that since anyone could edit it, it could easily be sabotaged by a troll or mischievous person. Someone might set it to 1 when it wasn't really 1. But as long as people remembered that they could just go check the forums to make sure the number was right, and then it would be an easy matter to correct it.

That might not be ideal, but it would be better than nothing and it's something explorers could do even without Cyan. :D

I also agree with the people who've talked about donation goals, if there was a goal for us to meet each month, we'd be more likely to meet it than if we were just firing into the night. And I think rewarding people who donated would obviously be cool. There are tons of ways to reward people for donating. Show their names in the cavern somewhere, (but allow them to opt out if for some reason they want to be anonymous). Put something cool in a neighborhood that has the most donations, and let neighborhoods compete for the prize, (Like a purple cone or something, anything really), and shift the prize to the top neighborhood each week. Maybe the fireworks could be turned on in the top neighborhood, that wouldn't require any new content, just someone figuring out which switch to pull, right? Anything at all that people can point to to say, "Look! I donated.", and feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I honestly don't know what it would take to do any of that, but it's hard to know what will work until we try it, right?

It's not like we don't have any ideas here. This community has always had plenty of great ideas. It's just that so few of them take off, for countless different reasons.

What's awesome to see right now is a plethora of fans and a few amazing people at Cyan throwing ideas back and forth, and thinking about the options. That makes me much more optimistic that something is going to get done. :D Thanks everyone, fans and Cyan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:42 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
mr_jimmy wrote:
And Chongs too.

Dave's not here.

Sorry, Chogon.... My spelling isn't what it used to be. :?

I think both CHOGON and RAWA have stated that the whole donation thing was kind of embarrassing for Cyan to even ask for. I don't blame them, but you do what you have to do to keep your customers happy and involved. But for this reason I don't think there really open to rewarding and advertising donations. Kind of like a constant reminder of past failings. I'm kind of going out on a limb here but I get the sense they would be more then happy to do away with the whole donation thing and just make some revenue to support their product. That's just what I read into from their posts. I'm not opposing donations at all, I donate myself when finances permit but I just don't think they want to make a big deal of it. Word of mouth and advertising in-game/web forum is still currently the most sensible options to make Uru money.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:23 pm 

mr_jimmy wrote:
I think both CHOGON and RAWA have stated that the whole donation thing was kind of embarrassing for Cyan to even ask for. I don't blame them, but you do what you have to do to keep your customers happy and involved. But for this reason I don't think there really open to rewarding and advertising donations. Kind of like a constant reminder of past failings. I'm kind of going out on a limb here but I get the sense they would be more then happy to do away with the whole donation thing and just make some revenue to support their product. That's just what I read into from their posts. I'm not opposing donations at all, I donate myself when finances permit but I just don't think they want to make a big deal of it. Word of mouth and advertising in-game/web forum is still currently the most sensible options to make Uru money.....

And that's perfectly understandable. I don't blame them for being hesitant to ask for donations either, I would be too. I would like to say though that, in my opinion, it complicates things. It's easy to come up with tons of ideas that will encourage people to donate. It's harder to balance that with how much willingness they have to remind people about donations.

So I'd like to ask, just for clarification, what kinds of ideas about donations are Cyan open to, specifically? Or maybe I should ask, what ideas are you guys (Cyan) not open to, at the moment? Obviously there are plenty of things that won't bring in any money, but I'm curious more about the "advertising donations" part. I think it would help us come up with ideas you would go for if we had some basic guidelines to go by. Can I get some input from Cyan on this? :)

The reason I brought up rewards for donations is because the Play page says:

play page wrote:
If you’re so inclined, we’ve provided a way for you to donate via PayPal to help offset our costs, and show your support. Five or ten bucks would go a long way toward helping pay the server and people bills. (No promises, but we’re trying to figure out a way to show our appreciation to supporters by giving you a little something extra in MO:ULagain.) But don’t feel obligated - we’re just glad to have the cavern open once again.

Now I absolutely want to stress that I'm not complaining that they haven't done any rewards yet or anything like that. They have given us a reward, they've kept the cavern open for a year and a half. That's awesome, and thanks again Cyan! But I took the mention of "something extra in MO:ULagain" to mean that they were at least open to the idea of further rewards, but that they just wanted to make sure that no one felt like there were any obligations on either side, either on the fans' side or Cyan's side.

Anyway, that's all just my thoughts. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:14 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

That donation button was quantum leap. I was really glad to see it, and use it.

Cyan might like to think about it from anothers' point of view. When a friend asks you for help, is that an insult or a compliment? It's a compliment because it means your friend has faith and trust in you. Your friend is opening up to needing you. It makes you feel good to help. You help gladly and everyone wins. It helps you grow closer, maybe increase your circle of friends. It's generous to give your friend that opportunity, and brave to ask for shared responsibility. Denying your friend that opportunity only leaves them wondering why and is a little less brave than going it alone. So do your friend a favor and ask for help when you need it.

Post subject: CAVCON 2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:01 pm 

Upon seeing the CAVCON level 2, my immediate reaction was to donate as much as I could; which isn't near as much as I would like too. My suggestion is to inform the most people quickly as possible - banners everywhere people go. Simply state the CAVCON level and the critical need for it to rise. I've always wondered why the CAVCON level wasn't being kept at level 5 in order for Cyan to be able to do great things that would make our experiences all the more exciting and interesting. Any cutting back at all is slow death. Please avoid it. Ultimately, if enough people don't care, then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:36 am 
Obduction Backer

I haven't had much actual money to donate, but I'd be willing to create some art items and donate most of the sales price to Cyan. I could do that on my own website, but I don't think it would be the same as contributing an item or two to a "MOULa Fundraising Gallery" or something like that.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject: CAVCON 2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:53 am 

To me, personally, CAVCON 2 gives a sense of urgency. Whatever anybody, and everybody can do to help is good. One of the nice things about MOULa is the sense of community. The only advice I can offer is for each and everyone to do the best they can to raise the level. Also, my guess is that nothing should be too time consuming. Surely time is of the essense. No one should hold back, not even the smallest of contributions - it all adds up. I have no stake in this other than wanting MOULa to continue for our enjoyment. There is so much great potential for the farther unfolding of the story - It's a living story! Everywhere I look I see brilliance, even in small things, and I marvel! No matter how many times I've looked and seen, I always see a little more. I hunger to see even more - much more. CAVCON 4, we need. CAVCON 5 would open so much more of the cavern to us. Sigh! If only I were a millionaire!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 am 

A belated thanks to Chogon for clarifying that Cyan does want us here. ^__^

I'd like to ask for an alternative way of contribution. Many explorers have expressed their distrust on paypal here and IC, and though I don't share their views I can't see any effect in trying to convince them to change. It would be shame to deny a friend's help as stated above, as well as the amount of money that would otherwise would go a long way toward helping pay the server and people bills.
*I think* that just accepting to share the bank account number linked to the paypal account we all have with the explorers that ask for it would be helpful to them.
Oh, or this idea just stroke me as I was editing this post, explorers could buy pre-paid credity cards and mail them or send the card numbers to Cyan?
Meh, much effort is needed from both parts to make this work, but heek we must find a way to solve this issue..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:56 am 
Obduction Backer

I have a separate bank account for PayPal; it has no money in it until I want to use it. Then I deposit as much as I need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:03 pm 

I'll start donating again--whatever I can. It's somewhat depressing that funds are so tight for me right now; I really wish that there was more I could do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

if anyone's worried about paypal and wishes to donate to cyan what they might consider a "sizable" sum by their definition but don't want to risk losing it to paypal why not donate in small amounts frequently? that way if you do notice paypal gobbling up your money you can cease any further transactions.

anyway, has Cyan officially stated just how critical funds are atm? CAVCON 2 isn't the grandest but we've been comfortable living with it for most of MOULa's existence and we didn't even know it. not to mention MOULa has already had the longest run of any Myst Online incarnation and it hasn't been funded by million dollar corporations and instead by what essentially amounts to people's voluntary generosity and pocket change.

are we circling the drain? if so this bowl takes a long time to flush...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:09 pm 

Main_Avvie wrote:
CAVCON 2 isn't the grandest but we've been comfortable living with it for most of MOULa's existence and we didn't even know it.

That's true but irrelevant: Comfortable as we may feel, we are still living beyond our means and the money will run out eventually, at which point everyone will throw up their hands in desperation and ask why we didn't respond as soon as we knew the true state of affairs. (Various situations in the news at the moment come to mind.) We have to deal with this now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 132  Next