It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 132  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
if anyone's worried about paypal and wishes to donate to cyan what they might consider a "sizable" sum by their definition but don't want to risk losing it to paypal why not donate in small amounts frequently? that way if you do notice paypal gobbling up your money you can cease any further transactions.

Donahoo mentioned keeping a Paypal account with a zero balance, BUT you do NOT need a Paypal account AT ALL. If you pay with a credit or debit card, the money goes into Cyan's Paypal account. After that, the only way Paypal could "gobble up" money is to take it away from Cyan. As a donor, you wouldn't even know. And, it would be Cyan's problem to deal with, really.

I swear, people hear "Paypal bad!" and don't bother to learn more, they just decide it's all bad and to never use it, ever. It's like hearing "Fire bad, it burned me!" from someone else, and deciding to eat your food raw and live in the cold for the rest of your life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Gahlen wrote:
Main_Avvie wrote:
CAVCON 2 isn't the grandest but we've been comfortable living with it for most of MOULa's existence and we didn't even know it.

That's true but irrelevant: Comfortable as we may feel, we are still living beyond our means and the money will run out eventually, at which point everyone will throw up their hands in desperation and ask why we didn't respond as soon as we knew the true state of affairs. (Various situations in the news at the moment come to mind.) We have to deal with this now.

given, which is why i'm in no ways adverse to making steps towards fundraising sooner rather than later... obviously whatever was being donated wasn't sufficient to maintain costs. something must be done to supplement the lack of funds to get us back up to 3 or 4.

if portions of the reserve fund are being used each time it will eventually be depleted. then it's flush time. best that the reserve fund not be touched at all, so the sooner MOULa is self sufficient without it the better.

i wonder to what degree chogon's cost cutting measures will pay off. i'd imagine it is still too early to tell.
that may be enough but whatever works...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Forgive me if I've missed it but, now that it's understood that the CAVCON status has been in error for the duration, has there been any method established for taking accurate CAVCON readings?
Any schedule established for taking and reporting those readings on a monthly, weekly, daily, or even a realtime basis?
Has there been a determination of how to display those readings: either on an in-cavern meter, a meter at the top of these forum's pages, a special CAVCON page at mystonline (the website, not in the forums), or even just a known, scheduled update under the "Announcements & News" forum topic?

Once we have known-good CAVCON data on a regular basis, explorers can propagate it by word-of-mouth in the cavern, post it on the message board in their 'hoods, and so on.

And it never hurts, when talking with newcomers to the cavern, to drop a friendly reminder that even though Cyan provides these resources free of charge, the operation does run on donations.

For instance, I had thought I'd donated less than a year ago. But when I checked, I realized it'd been well over a year since my last donation. :oops: That's fixed, but without the friendly nudge of reading this topic, I might not have checked at all.

Anyway, I'm rooting for a meter; best of all one that is accurate and in-cavern.
How cool would it be, how much enthusiasm would be generated, if we were to see that meter at 4.6 and climbing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
Forgive me if I've missed it but,
Yeah me too cause I always check the last post(s)I was aghast when I read that since July 2010 we have been under the knife...Can we see maybe an indication of strength when we log on, in-game?

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 am 

To answer your questions, Emor:

The error was not in the taking of the CAVCON readings, but the reporting of them. The reporting has been corrected, thus the notification. The updated, correct readings can be seen in the original two posts of this thread.

The readings have always been reported on a weekly basis (and I see no reason for that to discontinue). A record of these weekly reports can be seen in the second post of this thread.

So far as I am aware, there has not been an official response to whether an in-cavern or otherwise graphic CAVCON meter can or will be implemented in any way. As I have no special insight to what's going on to Cyan beyond what Chogon and RAWA have already revealed to us, I would wait for a response from them as to the possibility of this.

While I too would love to see some kind of graphic CAVCON meter in-cavern or on the homepage, that would be only if it didn't take much time and/or effort (as reporting the CAVCON in this thread), as I'm certain both are fairly precious resources right now. In the meantime, I just make a continual effort to come check this thread on a weekly basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:51 am 
Site Admin

Dalken Starbyne wrote:
While I too would love to see some kind of graphic CAVCON meter in-cavern or on the homepage, that would be only if it didn't take much time and/or effort (as reporting the CAVCON in this thread), as I'm certain both are fairly precious resources right now. In the meantime, I just make a continual effort to come check this thread on a weekly basis.

Dah! Actually, the CAVCON meter number could be in the status message that is displayed on the login screen. That would only take seconds to change - I'll pass that on to Tor'i, Dexter, MDog and Monarch.

Thanks!
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:59 am 

Well, simply brilliant, I would have to say! And everyone would be guaranteed to see that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Chogon, also make sure to put a link or note telling people where to go to donate. They might not know what CAVCON means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:37 am 

Chogon wrote:
Actually, the CAVCON meter number could be in the status message that is displayed on the login screen.

Almost seems too simple. Shouldn't one have to enter the number of marker switches or something first? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Chogon wrote:
Dah! Actually, the CAVCON meter number could be in the status message that is displayed on the login screen. That would only take seconds to change - I'll pass that on to Tor'i, Dexter, MDog and Monarch.

Thanks!
Chogon
That would be a 'knock knock' to those of us that forget from time to time...no finger pointing please

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Gahlen wrote:
Chogon wrote:
Actually, the CAVCON meter number could be in the status message that is displayed on the login screen.

Almost seems too simple. Shouldn't one have to enter the number of marker switches or something first? 8)

LOL... good one, Gahlen! Heheh... let's make a puzzle out of it.

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:00 am 
Creative Kingdoms

dragossh wrote:
Chogon, also make sure to put a link or note telling people where to go to donate. They might not know what CAVCON means.

Anyone with a website could also do that. GoMe and OU, that I know of so far, have Cavern Status banners with a link to this website's Play page where the "Donate" button appears at the bottom.

For instructions on how to put the Cavern Status and Developer Message (that will contain CAVCON) on your website, see our wiki page here:
http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... tus_Widget

This is exactly why we made our widget available to everyone. We'd love to see it used to support MOULa.

To see an example, click on my avatar icon or sig link to OU below and look under the menu.

(psst, Chogon, in addition to spelling it out in the message, maybe we could have a CAVCON code (1-5) right after the cavstat code?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:44 am 

Nice idea to have it on the status message! JW already explained the good things that can come out of having it there: possibility of importing it to our websites.

Speaking of CAVCON, the Guild of Messengers in collaboration with other Guilds and D'niJs is organizing an event to raise the explorers awareness of the CAVCON meter: Click here
Come help us! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:45 pm 

I donated again a few days ago.

I think posting the CAVCON status on the login screen is a good idea. Links to the first page of the CAVCON thread and to the donate page could be placed next to that, to clarify "what CAVCON is" and "how you can help"

I'm coming back for a while, BTW... the fact that MO:ULa is currently in crisis seemed like a good enough reason to show up.

I am still not sure of the best way to offer my support. But donating regularly is a start, I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

This is what else I'm thinking of... I would like to take what is in the "MEDIA" tab (above) and move the screenshot and concept art links to the "ABOUT" tab. And then change MEDIA into "DONATE" and have the CAVCON explanation and the paypal donate button. As well as how to directly donate to Cyan without paypal.

Also, I'm starting to put together an update to MOULa, which would include a number of the fan fixes... as well as putting a "Donate" button on the login screen that would take you to the above "DONATE" tab on mystonline.com
(More details about the update later).

Thanks!
Chogon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 132  Next