It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:31 am 
Obduction Backer

poutrew wrote:
I made a suggestion to Cyan regarding this aspect of their games years ago, namely that they should include a button for "tourist mode", where all the puzzles in the entire game would automatically be solved, allowing the user to wander through the many worlds and environments at will, just for the art experience and to marvel at the beauty there is to see...but I guess it wasn't an idea they wanted to implement, although I don't see any technical reason that would prevent it from being done.

No technical reason. That would actually be fairly trivial to do. However, considering their reaction to the sequence-breaking in Eder Gira, it seems they were very sensitive to giving up any authorial control at all.

Gondar wrote:
Eh, curse of having been here for years. You've already said everything you want to say. :?

Mostly true. Stick around long enough and I guess it's possible that age and wisdom changes perspectives and may allow new things to be said. ;)

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've been in the community for, what, 7 years now? I've been on these forums since they opened..

I can see age coming, but can you honestly see me getting wisdom? :wink:

As for the topic, that there is the problem. Cyan doesn't want to give up any control over their existing content. I can understand that, but there's fixes that can't be done without permission to add stuff.. and any storyline in the future made by fans would be rather disconnected without any of the existing characters..

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:24 pm 

Cyan should really allow fans full access to make custom content for the game and help with gaining permission to use tools that could improve the game and just setting up a way to make it easier to implement/distribute the custom content, As right now it's far too complex/technical for the average computer user to view all the fan made content.

For example, For the Jedi knight series of games (Jedi outcast/Jedi academy) the community was able to create custom maps,mods you name it, it was made. It kept the games going for many years after release and I believe there's still a lot of people playing it now (Jedi academy was released in 2003). There are sites like jk2files.com with a huge amount of custom content that has given the game a lot more replay value. It remains to this day for me one of the best games I played purely because of the freedom the fans had, the custom content.

Right now on MOUL, Once you did all there is to do, nothing is left but stand around in D'ni doing nothing but hope for a door run and help the occasional new person. D'ni just becomes an over-glorified chatroom at that point which is sad. The place feels stagnant.

Granted, giving the community freedom to make content also means it can destroy what they intended with the game, but if the custom content is optional (Although I'd say a general bug/performance fix is in order) that decision will be up to the player.

Custom content is the way to go, That way the loyal people get fresh content more often, New people will see the game is still moving forward not to mention those bugs will finally get fixed so it will be more enjoyable for newcomers and D'ni will once again be exciting and alive without a huge amount of effort required on Cyan's end.

I used to make worlds, mods etc.. for the Jedi knight games using GTK radiant, I just started to look into making ages and it looks to be similar enough so with practice and testing I'll soon be working on making an age (can't promise it'll be spectacular) but I feel if you want to see improvement it starts with yourself, So I will try my best to do my bit as I hope all the other Uru lovers will to whether it's creating an age, fixing bugs, programming, designing/writing stories for ages, textures, donations, begging cyan to help :P or even just spreading the word or going that extra mile to make newcomers feel more at home.

I think this community is passionate enough about this game to pull all this off if Cyan gives us the green light on everything and helps us that one more time to set up an easier way to share/distribute/implement custom content. It's a win win situation, The fans get new content and Cyan gets renewed interest in their games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Faewn wrote:
So I will try my best to do my bit as I hope all the other Uru lovers will to whether it's creating an age, fixing bugs, programming, designing/writing stories for ages, textures, donations, begging cyan to help or even just spreading the word or going that extra mile to make newcomers feel more at home.

Nicely said

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Faewn, you can imagine that in this great, passionate and creative community,
you're not the first and certainly not the only one coming to those conclusions,
these forums are actually filled with those discussions and controversies over
the years lol... :P

However, time and again there's someone like you coming along and after some
studies and indepth examinations everywhere, which is very nice and appropriate
beforehand, suddenly and in a very kind, eloquent and unbiased way stating and
conveying the very obvious which has always been a very delicate matter around
the D'ni universe so to speak, on the surface and underneath lol ... :)

Faewn, your statement is wonderful IMHO, and it comprises briefly and to the point
almost all important key points and issues that need to be acted upon, and if we are
lucky, but also determined in our stance and our intent as of their realization and to
get this done once and for all, we can eventually celebrate that 'The Ending has truly
not yet been written ... " :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3