It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:14 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Ehren, the gear is underneath that.

No, technically it's not even a gear. The thing that looks like a gear is really the bottoms of those stands that connect to the spines of the books and bring it forward towards you from out of the slot. In other words, each gear "tooth" really has a book attached to the top of it, only to be seen if it is the book called from the Nexus.

If you look in the slot the books come out, you'll even see the "gear tooth" underneath lead up to a closed book back in the darkness. And when you use the Nexus they all start to move when searching, then it stops once it has the right book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:17 pm 

Ehren is right on this. :)

In TOC MOUL shard where the jump command is enable, you can actually go take a look inside the spinning jukebox.

You will see exactly what he described :)

There's some kind of mechanical inside it that could be compared to some distribution robots in some places (many places on Earth actually) where you can choose a movie to listen to on site and there's an instant production of a reading device and a robot push it forward into your cabin. In Japan or some techy countries, you can see that even in North America (not recognized to be technically advanced on many fronts...anyway :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:08 am 
Obduction Backer

Ehren wrote:
No, technically it's not even a gear. The thing that looks like a gear is really the bottoms of those stands that connect to the spines of the books and bring it forward towards you from out of the slot.
You're right. I've just looked at this again several times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:44 am 
Obduction Backer

You guys do realise messages still go through to people if they're "on the surface" right?

So the "abuse" is not really any different to normal messaging... The message still goes through - and if it /doesn't/ that should definitely be fixed =P

So I see no reason to disable chat while "AFK", either...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

kaelisebonrai wrote:
So I see no reason to disable chat while "AFK", either...

I believe that is already being taken care of (at least it used to be). As soon as you start to chat you leave AFK mode. There is a very good reason for that: If an AFK player sends a private message to another AFK player this results in an endless "I'm on the surface..." bounce loop. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:38 pm 

Not to mention it probably doesn't matter anymore since there is no contol over what client is being used. Nothing is going to prevent some clever troublemaker to roll their own client to do whatever they want so there is no compelling reason not to enable both seated and AFK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:50 pm 

Hello everyone,

Can someone please explain why there aren't any hands at the bottom of some bahro stones, thus not allowing us to share them ?
I know it was part of the last update but the only explanation given was that those were broken !

They were not broken at all.

When shared, the avi touching the link went to:
- Public Tokotah Rooftop (Eder Gira stone).
- Public balcony facing museum (Gahreesen stone inside big building).
- Public balcony in front of the gallery (Kadish stone).
- Public City (Hood stone).
- Private D'ni Tiwah (Tokotah alley stone).
- Unknown spyroom (Teledahn stone near prison).

If they were broken, they would've never worked at all. In fact, they perfectly worked !

After the name modification from Descent to D'ni Tiwah, the link to D'ni Tiwah didn't appear in Nexus.
Someone sharing the stone with a neighbor got his own private link in the Nexus. Not possible after the name change.
This link worked fine and the avi could send invitations to his/her private Descent.

The link to spyroom didn't work properly. A Nexus book appeared instead of the spyroom image.
So, this one was broken. I can admit that.

For all others mentioned above, the avi went to the Public City. Now, we cannot go there (public instance) anymore.
We only have access to the same places in our private City.

Thanks for clarifying this modification. Apart from the spyroom, the others worked fine and the disappearance of those hands don't make any sense to me.

Mouski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

They were broken as in they did not share. They sent the person to a different place depending on the instancing rules vid discovered long back. What they did NOT do is send you to the hood instance for the person who offered the share, which is what they SHOULD have done. They did not, and instead sent you to public or private instance depejnding. I have my theories on why it worked that way (basically, link sharing has never worked, and it only appeared to be so due to default rules in place from the start that are error-catching rules)
You were never supposed to be able to share to the public instance of the city (and as I've theorized, this would apply to K'veer as well if we had a book/stone link to it). It's broken entirely.
Same for say private instances of the spyroom or descent or what. Those are not supposed to exist, and are a bug.

I guess I was right in that the bug that does it is so buried in almost a decade of code and revisions that no one knows where the heek it's coming from, and in turn the easiest solution is to stop sharing entirely.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

MrMouski, all the bahro stones you've mentioned above create links in the
city book and thus don't need to be shared through a sharing symbol and
for consistency reasons (as for those cases where they were not broken) ...
that's how I understood the explanation while testing on the Minkata shard,
but I could be wrong ... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:18 pm 

So I should be glad to have few owned D'ni-Tiwah...

I think I made 7 or 8 personal instances of it before the change occured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:16 am 
Obduction Backer

johnsojc wrote:
Not to mention it probably doesn't matter anymore since there is no contol over what client is being used. Nothing is going to prevent some clever troublemaker to roll their own client to do whatever they want so there is no compelling reason not to enable both seated and AFK.

I've seen this recently.

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Huh. I guess maybe it's time to revisit the instancing chart....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:02 pm 

MrMouski wrote:
Hello everyone,

Can someone please explain why there aren't any hands at the bottom of some bahro stones, thus not allowing us to share them ?
I know it was part of the last update but the only explanation given was that those were broken !

They were not broken at all.

When shared, the avi touching the link went to:
- Public Tokotah Rooftop (Eder Gira stone).
- Public balcony facing museum (Gahreesen stone inside big building).
- Public balcony in front of the gallery (Kadish stone).
- Public City (Hood stone).
- Private D'ni Tiwah (Tokotah alley stone).
- Unknown spyroom (Teledahn stone near prison).

If they were broken, they would've never worked at all. In fact, they perfectly worked !

After the name modification from Descent to D'ni Tiwah, the link to D'ni Tiwah didn't appear in Nexus.
Someone sharing the stone with a neighbor got his own private link in the Nexus. Not possible after the name change.
This link worked fine and the avi could send invitations to his/her private Descent.

The link to spyroom didn't work properly. A Nexus book appeared instead of the spyroom image.
So, this one was broken. I can admit that.

For all others mentioned above, the avi went to the Public City. Now, we cannot go there (public instance) anymore.
We only have access to the same places in our private City.

Thanks for clarifying this modification. Apart from the spyroom, the others worked fine and the disappearance of those hands don't make any sense to me.

Mouski
I was very disappointed to learn we can no longer have parties on the public Tokotah rooftop. I had a lot of fun teaching explorers how to climb the walls to spy on explorers hanging around the courtyard and how to look through the scope at explorers running by the stalagmite. With no new content, those Bahro stone share glitches were entertaining.

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)
CT Hostess Susa'n KI#9122427 (member Cavern Tour's Hood)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

It was the public instances of the bahro stones (and book in Kadish Tolesa) that gave us our first glimpse of Ae'gura in Prologue. It's kind of sad that they no longer link there from a historical perspective.

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:14 pm 

Perhaps when someone can unearth the source of the underlying bugs in the linking code (and some general consensus of how linking rules should work is agreed upon), these can be renabled in the future. From comments made by the folks who are hip deep in reworking the code, it is not immediately obvious where the problems lie.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next