It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:08 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Empty City
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:55 pm 

First I want to state I am not attacking any group that runs a shard or the Guild Of Writers.

The last few evenings ("evening" is for me, about 11:00 KI to 16:00 KI), the city has been near empty.
The regulars who have normally frequented the city, have been attracted away by other things.
When they all decide to leave the city and go to the Fun House, the city empties.
Tonight, there is a party on the Gehn shard, and already the city is empty.

While it is great that people can go off and have fun with these attractions,
I am one of those that stays in the city. New players often turn up near the map with questions.
Seeing the city empty does not look good. People get disheartened and think MOULa is dying.
They then decide to desert the sinking ship before it really does sink.
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I cannot help thinking that shards are having a negative effect on MOULa.
The argument I've heard is "If MOULa is shut down, there will always be shards to go to"
But I believe that it is the very fact there are shards to go to, that is causing the downfall of MOULa.

Yeesha said "Wear it to show which side you've chosen, when sides are chosen."
I wonder if she was talking about Shards vs MOULa
I have chosen my side, and it is MOULa.
I keep coming to MOULa every evening to show my support for Cyan's MOULa.
Obviously there are those who support the shards, and I do not blame them.
But if we don't show our support for MOULa, we will lose it.

The sad part is, people will read this, and ignore it, do nothing.
Alien

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't believe MO:ULa is in that bad a state. Yes, people go to other Shards, and yes there are events on other Shards. But think about everything that DOES go on in MO:ULa, from the AGMs to the In-Cavern Mysterium to the Fun House and more. Let's be honest, there isn't much to DO in the City, so people go elsewhere for Uru entertainment. I'm happy with the current state - well, content rather; more people WOULD be welcome - because I know there are still things to do on MO:ULa on a regular basis, even if the City is not where it happens.

I have plans to change that last part, though... 8) Not telling more for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:16 pm 

The shards are drawing some traffic out of MO:ULa, true.

And yes, there is difficulty keeping MO:ULa going.

But I'm inclined to believe that the shards, though they may at times have some short-term detrimental effects, are key to MO:ULa's future.

After all, isn't much of the point of the Gehn and Minkata shards to develop and test fan-made fixes and additions for potential future inclusion in MO:ULa? A lot of the bug fixes and patches we've seen in MO:ULa lately are a result of the fan-run shards.

The bottom line is that there shouldn't be any conflict between the shards and MO:ULa.
There is value in preserving and expanding both; shards for developing (fan-made) content and MO:ULa as a venue for any future Cyan-created additions.

That is a challenge but I think we can keep both sides of this (fan shards and official servers) going and growing.

As for me, I'll try to log in and visit the city a bit more often. I hope a few others reading this will do the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree with both of you, Lyros and matthornb ... :P

Dear Alien, I believe the thing with new explorers, the newly Called, is, that they missed
what went on in the years before they arrived in the Cavern and cannot be expected to try
to catch up with everything, of course ... :)

The times have totally changed from what was given and anticipated in the beginning,
also Yeesha's stance to the development in the Cavern since even the IC situation here
had changed dramatically in the years gone by ...

Her new advice in her latest speech in K'veer is summarized to 'Find a Way, make a Home' ...
Please read the chatlog here if you like ...

It was actually Cyan Worlds themselves through the DRC, Reteltee, who was the DRC's
Guilds advisor for the explorers, as well as Dr. Watson and as mentioned above Yeesha
herself who paved the way for the coming up and support of the Guilds to blaze and carve
the way to the fulfilling of that ambition and urgent recommendation of necessity ...

If you like, you can read the whole of Dr. Watson's speech here ... You can also read a
short summary of his speech of his most essential statements along with one of those
interesting discussions from back then of what to do about that 'Find a Way, make a Home'
situation and requirement ... :)

With Cyan Worlds by now not being able to continue keeping MOULa alive or even to provide
new content it was a wise decision to open the way to an 'Uru Live Open Source' which I believe
saved it from its complete demise, which is of course due to our awesome community standing
together no matter what and trying hard to keep everything interesting and inspiring, but to a great
extent to our Guilds, and in this case I only name our Guild of Writers, the H'Uru team as well as
the OpenUru team with their shards and testing grounds for MOULa which are working 24/7 for
improvements and enhancements etc. while Cyan gets all the money and they get all the blame haha ...
This is ironic, isn't it? ... I'm glad that many changed their perspective already ... 8)

Yeah, that's how I see it, but Uru's history speaks for itself ... Besides that, as I've mentioned
above, Lyros and matthornb see it all quite realistic and positive and I agree with them ... :D

Last edited by janaba1 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:29 pm 

Shards are pretty much what kept URU alive until Gametap. Now with open source, they are the perfect grounds to test new bug fixes and ways to add content without upsetting or temporarily shutting down MOULa aside from a quick package of well-tested updates every once in awhile. So basically, they don't hurt MOULa. If anything, they help it immensely by improving the main game with minimal work needed from Cyan (who can't spare much right now).

Yes, these shards will have their own events and various things to lure explorers to them. Doesn't mean they're going to permanently pull away people from Cyan's MOULa because, regardless of the popularity of shards, MOULa is where the majority of the fans still go. There's just not much going on right now because it's summer and people are out and about.

If you feel things are too slow, do something positive to lure them back in for a time. A party, a book reading, a CAVCON fundraiser, whatever you wish. As was shown with Gehn Shard's Cleft Party last night, people WILL flock to an event if you give it the proper planning, advertising and word of mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
It's not just the shards that are siphoning off players - we're losing players to Second Life (which, ironically, has several sims dedicated to Uru), There and other games. There is a very large Uru community elsewhere that is simply looking for Something To Do.

I'm glad Lyrositor has big plans for Uru, because we're really starved for new content. Personally, I'd like to see some kind of bulletin board in Ae'gura, similar to the one in the City of Dimensions in TOC. Yes, people can come to the forums for new information, but there are a lot of threads to wade through just to find any glimmer of hope. During the GameTap years, there were always KI-mails from the DRC to look forward to - and I know that occasionally people (like Lyrositor) come through Ae'gura offering to put people on their KI-newsletter, which helps.

I think it was Alien who told me that one of the biggest problems in retaining new players is the fact that Uru has such a steep learning curve. But I've talked to newbies whose biggest question is, "What's the point of all this?" There's a lot of background to Uru, and the information is scattered throughout the Internet. (For a game that's supposedly "dying", there are an awful lot of sites dedicated to it!) There's really no one place to send them for all the answers. The best we have is Rel.to, but even a lot of veteran players of unaware of this site. (On top of that, it apparently hasn't been updated since February!)

Information (and yes, publicity) is the key to bringing back veterans and retaining new players. But we need a better way to get that information out.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:35 am 
Obduction Backer

TOOO wrote:
It's not just the shards that are siphoning off players - we're losing players to Second Life (which, ironically, has several sims dedicated to Uru), There and other games. There is a very large Uru community elsewhere that is simply looking for Something To Do.

Then it's time to start boycotting not just shards, but other games as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Tomala wrote:
TOOO wrote:

Ah, because you know what they say: Outsiders cannot run digital distribution. :)

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Trekluver wrote:
Tomala wrote:
TOOO wrote:

Ah, because you know what they say: Outsiders cannot run digital distribution. :)

Exactly! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:09 am 

I asked about the purpose of shards beyond testing to other GoMe members several months ago. Marten, our "semi-retired but still around here somewhere, who is overly wise, but also highly knowledgeable" old GoMe GM said this:

[quote=Marten] But just because a shard is there doesn't mean it NEEDS to be populated 24/7. Think of the shards as nightclubs. There's nobody there most of the day and you have to time your visits to when the action is. On Deep Island's predecessor, there were story event evenings connected to the unveiling of new Ages; I'm not sure if that tradition has continued onto DI but you could ask the right people. The Gehn launch party would have been a great recent opportunity to visit there. And on Minkata, the stress test weekend was a fine time to bump into folks. [/quote]

I think this helped me quite a bit. Perhaps it will help you, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:21 am 

Thing is, I remember a time when on a weekend over 20 people were in the city even though the Fun House was open (and I'm talking about when it was all new and exciting). These days you must be grateful if there are enough people on Saturday nights for a door run. Not sure if shards draw off too many people (as these people usually return to MOULa on a regular basis because they have friend there). Sure, on occasions there might be some effect. But I doubt that it's the root of the problem. I think, there are simply not enough people left linking to MOULa anymore. Question is, as has been asked once in a while, how to get new people interested in the cavern?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, I doubt it's shards that are causing the problem. Rather, I think people might just be busy this time of year. After all, it is summer, so teachers are off work and on vacation, and business will inevitably pick up because, well, it's summer.
As well, I think a lot of people who play MO:ULa are college students, so they'll probably be on vacation or working at a summer job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Regarding backstory, Mystlore seems like a good place to start updating. The main page itself doesn't link to anywhere. How about changing it to point to different sections: Ages, The Art, Games, Novels, Characters, etc. It would be wonderful if we could gather up all the information in one single place. I think Lyrositor had some plans about a new wiki, but there haven't been news about that in a while.

Now, "What is the purpose of this?" is a very good question and many people just need a nudge towards continuing to play the game and the sites that contain more info. Maybe it would be a good idea for Cyan to put a note or give a KImail to players when they join (this could be coded fairly easily I suppose) that goes like this:

"Shorah,

You are here because you are one of the Called. One of the many explorers who felt drawn to D'ni and its Ages. The D'ni were an advanced civilisation who had the ability to write books that enabled them to travel to other worlds. Upon their planet's death 10,000 years ago some of them came to Earth and thrived for thousands of years until their collapse in the 1800s.

In 1988, the cavern was rediscovered and restoration efforts began in 1998, the results of which you might see around the city and the Ages. The restoraton effort went on for about 10 years, when funding disappeared and we were left with no choice but to abandon the Cavern. With help from our explorers, we were able to reopen it for everyone to enjoy.

If you feel lost, don't give up yet. During your journey and exploration you will find many of your questions answered, but with answers come even more questions. Along with our notes which we hope will be useful are internet resources dedicated to everything D'ni: guildofgreeters.com, mystlore.com or dpwr.net, if you want to dig deeper into D'ni's history.

Enjoy your exploration,
DRC / Dr. Watson / Cyan."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:48 pm 

Ahlisendar wrote:
... I think people might just be busy this time of year. After all, it is summer...

I don’t think so, the city was pretty buzzing this time last year.
My theory – the population has dropped off, because the population has dropped off. Allow me to explain.
Player A goes online. None of Player A’s buddies are online so Player A decides to go do something else.
Short time later, Player A’s best friend, Player B comes online. Player B sees Player A is offline & also decides to go do something else.
Then, good friend of Player A and Player B, Player C comes online. Player C goes into the city & sits on the map waiting & hoping Player A or Player B will show up. Player C greets a couple of newbies & maybe answers a question or two, but spends the rest of the time sitting getting bored wondering where all his/her friends have got to. No one ever shows up & Player C gets really bored & so decides not to sit in the cavern waiting again & to go do something else next time.
And so it goes on. People don’t hang around because there’s no one to hang around with, get bored & go in search of something more fun. The population drops off because the population has dropped off. It’s a vicious circle & I don’t know what you can do about it once it’s started, apart from sit on the map, getting bored wondering where everyone has gone lol.
Anyway, that’s just my theory.
I do have an alternative hypothesis – the population has dropped off because I’m not around so much anymore :D …but, I rather think the former is the more likely of the two. lol.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next