It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:08 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I was thinking along the lines of a built in Software Development Kit, like many games use these days. It's cheaper and just as effective.

Quote:
Exactly this. Successful modding communities (to name two off hand examples specifically) Like with the Elder Scrolls games and the Half Life games all have external programs that use the Game resources for building new things. Currently: Skyrim has it's "Creation Kit" and the Source engine has the Hammer map editor. But even then, Portal 2 has an in-game level editor, which, while not as advanced as hammer, is a wonderful start for beginning level designers for Portal 2.

Sounds great and I agree to some point...the issue is the game is/was/is again not ready for this...check out the Guild of Writers website

http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewforum.php?f=7

and this barely touches into it..

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:56 am 
Obduction Backer

TOOO wrote:
The problem here is that Uru Live is an E10+ game, which would require a mind-boggling screening process to make sure only material appropriate for this rating (and story) gets through.

That's the purpose behind contests and other means of placing content into a game, in the end it's up to the company to decide what they want on their official server. But as far as building ages for other public servers, that would be up to the users/server owners (again just like any other game community). Don't like it? Don't download it! I don't see why that's so hard to understand around here.

I've always loved both official and custom content for games. In fact I'm the type of person that likes to review custom projects people do because I often think they get overshadowed in certain games. There is some great talent out there just as well as the exact opposite. I would have loved to have done reviews for multiplayer ages.

But, this is merely wishful thinking. The ball was dropped a long time ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:04 am 

I'm reminded of little big planet here. Most of the content, suitable for kids, is user created. MM marks the best of the best with a stamp of approval; levels are sortable by rating, #play throughs etc. It's a very neat model that would work very well for URU as well.

A built in level editor is not a simple thing to make, and it would require a lot of investment to get there. Also, it would require level makers to have all the skills needed in designing a level. To compare with LBP, some of the levels have brilliant ideas but look like crap, while others are simply animated paintings - very good looking but inherently empty. I fear that the same would happen here. Would it not be better to combine these skills and make things together?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:29 pm 

Absolutely. Which is why, as an artist, I'm now trying to work with Karkadann and other scripters.

My first age was one of those 'beautiful paintings' that didn't do much.

The ball - a functional, usable pipeline for player-created content - was dropped by Cyan Worlds a long time ago, but it seems that we still have at least some chance to pick it back up. It won't be easy, of course, but it might be possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:10 pm 

TOOO wrote:
I didn't even discover Uru Live until 2006, so my knowledge of "The Early Days" is second-hand at best, so please feel free to correct me.

My understanding is that Cyan's idea of "promoting" the Cavern (way back in '03) was to have an actor dress up like Jeff Zandi and make the rounds of conventions, speaking to people and describing the Cavern as if it was a real place. If so, then those of us who couldn't attend conventions (for $ome $trange rea$on...) were left in the dark.

Furthermore, I understand that soon after there was some kind of contest/scavenger hunt to find seven "artifacts" which would, in turn light up a billboard with Yeesha's "hand" symbol on it. When all the artifacts were discovered, Uru Live began online.

If this story is true, then this has to be the strangest way to promote an MMO I've ever seen. There weren't any ads in gaming magazines, websites, print or broadcast media? Nothing? If not, then how did Cyan expect to reach the general public? It's no wonder Myst Online has had such a hard time - and GameTap did little more to promote it.

This is why the Cavern is empty - no-one knows it's here!

Actually, there really is a Jeff Zandi. The guy at the Airstream by the Cleft is this guy. He's a friend of Rand's if i recall correctly. Here's his website: http://www.pojo.com/magic/Featured%20Writers/Zandi/index.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:13 pm 
matthornb wrote:
Absolutely. Which is why, as an artist, I'm now trying to work with Karkadann and other scripters.

My first age was one of those 'beautiful paintings' that didn't do much.

The ball - a functional, usable pipeline for player-created content - was dropped by Cyan Worlds a long time ago, but it seems that we still have at least some chance to pick it back up. It won't be easy, of course, but it might be possible.

We are such butter-fingers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:43 pm 

Magic the Gathering... I KNEW that Zandi name was familiar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:43 pm 

Yeah, the 'ball' analogy only goes so far. :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5