It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:51 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Every time I look at the Gehn Shard status, no one is online...

... I guess I need to remember the next time I decide to throw a party on my own shard (that I pay for) that I'm killing MOULa. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

matthornb wrote:
The bottom line is that there shouldn't be any conflict between the shards and MO:ULa.
There is value in preserving and expanding both; shards for developing (fan-made) content and MO:ULa as a venue for any future Cyan-created additions.

That is a challenge but I think we can keep both sides of this (fan shards and official servers) going and growing.

Correct, there is no conflict but the ones we make amongst ourselves.

If MOULa is in a slump, then it may recover, or it may not.

Without shards, if it dies, it stays dead.

With shards, it can continue.

It may be useful to remember, too, that it is currently summer.

rha3l wrote:
Ahlisendar wrote:
... I think people might just be busy this time of year. After all, it is summer...

I don’t think so, the city was pretty buzzing this time last year.
My theory – the population has dropped off, because the population has dropped off. Allow me to explain.
Player A goes online. None of Player A’s buddies are online so Player A decides to go do something else.
Short time later, Player A’s best friend, Player B comes online. Player B sees Player A is offline & also decides to go do something else.

Precisely. It's a pretty good law of MMOs that you need content to keep players around and logged in long enough to get the network effect of keeping their friends online as well. MOULa doesn't have that, with the exception of the player-created marker missions, which are a different sort of game from the rest of MOULa and may not attract or maintain the same group of players.

AdamJohnso wrote:

... I guess I need to remember the next time I decide to throw a party on my own shard (that I pay for) that I'm killing MOULa. :roll:

Gehn seems to get a decent number after updates, but it drops off fairly quickly. Again, without new content for players to play, providing a better play experience isn't as important.

It doesn't matter if people are playing on the Cyan shard or any other; new players will play through the existing content and move on.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:28 pm 

Deledrius wrote:
rha3l wrote:
Ahlisendar wrote:
... I think people might just be busy this time of year. After all, it is summer...

My theory – the population has dropped off, because the population has dropped off. Allow me to explain.
Player A goes online. None of Player A’s buddies are online so Player A decides to go do something else.
Short time later, Player A’s best friend, Player B comes online. Player B sees Player A is offline & also decides to go do something else.

Precisely. It's a pretty good law of MMOs that you need content to keep players around and logged in long enough to get the network effect of keeping their friends online as well. MOULa doesn't have that, with the exception of the player-created marker missions, which are a different sort of game from the rest of MOULa and may not attract or maintain the same group of players.

That's actually not what I was saying at all. There was no new content this time last year but there were still more people in cavern than I've seen recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

rha3l wrote:
Deledrius wrote:
rha3l wrote:
Ahlisendar wrote:

That's actually not what I was saying at all. There was no new content this time last year but there were still more people in cavern than I've seen recently.

I read you as saying that people aren't staying online long enough for their friends to stick around, causing a diminishing population.

I was extrapolating by saying that content, while not an exclusive method, is the primary way to encourage longer play sessions which is essential to avoiding the "missed meetings" you describe.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Is it just me, or are we slowly turning into demographers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ahlisendar wrote:

We'd have to run a poll to be sure. ;)

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Honestly, I think it's impressive how often the city DOES have people. And how often it's above 10 people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ahlisendar wrote:

Hehe, Ahlisendar, this wouldn't be the first time 'in our history' that Uru
provided ground and reason for demographic research and speculation ... 8)

Last edited by janaba1 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:45 pm 

Deledrius wrote:
rha3l wrote:
Deledrius wrote:
rha3l wrote:
Ahlisendar wrote:

I read you as saying that people aren't staying online long enough for their friends to stick around, causing a diminishing population.

I was extrapolating by saying that content, while not an exclusive method, is the primary way to encourage longer play sessions which is essential to avoiding the "missed meetings" you describe.

Yeah & I don't agree with that, because there isn't any less content now than there was last year, but the population was greater this time last year. The A, B & C players I used as an example wouldn’t be newbies, they’d be the cavern regulars, the players who have played the entire game all through more times than they can count and still keep coming back on a daily basis, just to enjoy the cavern community. If that community diminishes, then so does the regular player’s reason for continuing on in MOULa, and so it diminishes further. That’s the point I was trying to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Deledrius wrote:
rha3l wrote:
Ahlisendar wrote:

Exactly. To be serious, I believe the real answer lies somewhere in between these suggestions, but more so on the side of people just being busy. I know from myself that that's why I can't make it in as often as I used to. So yea, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Come late August, I expect things will pick back up again. :)

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:

... I guess I need to remember the next time I decide to throw a party on my own shard (that I pay for) that I'm killing MOULa.

LOL..I need help dropping a pellet to get to K'veer and eventually MYST Island

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

rha3l wrote:
Deledrius wrote:

Yeah & I don't agree with that, because there isn't any less content now than there was last year, but the population was greater this time last year. The A, B & C players I used as an example wouldn’t be newbies, they’d be the cavern regulars, the players who have played the entire game all through more times than they can count and still keep coming back on a daily basis, just to enjoy the cavern community. If that community diminishes, then so does the regular player’s reason for continuing on in MOULa, and so it diminishes further. That’s the point I was trying to make.

My apologies, I didn't mean to mischaracterize your post in my agreement. I suppose we disagree on our assessment of the causes.

One of the things I like about Uru, as much as it tends to cause misunderstandings too, is the amazingly crazy diversity of interests. There's something for nearly everyone. :)

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:09 am 
Obduction Backer

Deledrius wrote:
There's something for nearly everyone.

Kudos!! :P

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:46 am 
Obduction Backer

I have to say I'm impressed by the lack of "shards are killing MOUL" talk in this discussion. I wish things were more like this thread back in the old days. If people were this open minded back then Uru may have stood a better chance.

But like what some of the others above said, you need evolution and content to survive. Other companies know this trick and use it with success. Take a look at any game genre that has content produced by it's own company as well as it's fan base, most likely they have no problems. This way the community can produce their own content to share, and the company can work on their own thing without having to worry about constantly releasing updates. And if your work is excellent it sometimes becomes an official part of the game, like what we're finally seeing with bug fixes. Where do some these bug fixes and additions come from? The fans! Then all Cyan has to do is look over the code and approve it. Done. :)

So no, shards are not the problem here. The problem is the inability to have an open mind. And from what I have seen it looks like that's getting a little better. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:44 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Wow, just when I thought I had learned how to read Tomala, I am stumped at finding the sarcasm.

:wink:

I looked at the numbers and DLordofTime's logins graph in the CAVCON thread. And although there have been very gradual seasonal declines, I'm seeing a very smooth line with no exceptional valley, or hint of one. The line seems to constantly flirt and tease the 10,000 mark, but never quite commits. Ain't that typical of a flirt.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next