It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:04 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:01 pm 

I tried SL when MOUL closed down last time, and found that I just couldn't get on with it at all.

I have been going back into MOULa since it reopened and find that there is hardly anyone around most of the time I am online, therefore I cannot progress on my game any more as I need help to get anywhere else.
It's a bit offputting as I find that I am myself not going on as much as I would like to because of this

old Ki # 10234810

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

If you would name a time and meeting place, I'd be glad to help. Feel free to "buddy" my Ki number found in my signature.

You will probably get several other volunteers in this forum after me.

David Tierce

This post inspected by: Maintainer #165
MOULa-Ki: 15763576
GEHN-Ki: 00022090
DI-Ki: 00145074

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Try me also.

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:48 pm 

dtierce wrote:
If you would name a time and meeting place, I'd be glad to help. Feel free to "buddy" my Ki number found in my signature.

You will probably get several other volunteers in this forum after me.

David Tierce

Thank you David, have added you to my buddie list :)
and you too Charura

old Ki # 10234810

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Was there tonight..(my time)...when are you on normally bettyblue22? I'm USA EDT

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:27 pm 

Charura wrote:
Was there tonight..(my time)...when are you on normally bettyblue22? I'm USA EDT

my times online vary as I work a lot of split shifts, but usually it is around 10pm gmt and after.
then other times it all depends on when I have my break inbetween shifts

old Ki # 10234810

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:21 pm 

This thread has been both enlightening and disheartening. I guess it's not really my place to be too critical with my 2nd post on this forum, but I joined in order to, you know, join. So I think my opinion matters, if only because it's from the perspective of a new arrival.

First a little history.

I came a tad late to the URU party but not too long after its release. I was a very enthousiastic Myst fan. I was (and am) drawn in particular to Myst for its puzzles and its... meditative... atmosphere - I associate Myst with research, note taking, observation, solitude. Just sitting there and thinking, or maybe only admiring the view.

I remember thinking that Myst was probably the most unlikely candidate for an MMO, and I was curious to find out 'how they did it'. By the time I played through URU's offline part I was ready to subscribe and boy was I disappointed that the online game had already been shut down :(

I have this clear memory of walking through this deserted city, everything gloomy and dark, and having nothing to do... There was this deserted cafe, just rubble really, and somewhere else there was this broken game table that gave this tantalizing hint of how this cavern must have been when filled with people. Everywhere my path was barred by DRC blockades and back then it felt like all I needed was to solve another puzzle to gain access to something new in that cave. But there was nothing. I had this overwhelming sense of loss and melancholy.

I assumed that this was what they made it look since the online part was no more, but that originally it was a vibrant and well lit city, bustling with people and activity. Since I never was there to see it I probably imagined more than it was.

Ok so far the history lesson. I recently (september) found out that Myst Online was back and free to play. Enough time had gone by that I forgot most of the puzzle's details (and it turned out, some had changed a bit from the version that I played back then, such as Ahnonay) so I've been enjoying myself over the past weeks figuring it all out again.

I filled pages with notes, and even solved a new Age called Minkata that I never saw before. All through my plays I rarely saw someone in Ae'gura. Well sometimes a single person just sitting somewhere, which was basically my only clue that yes, I'm playing online and not offline as before. Other than that, the cavern is just as dark and empty as before and just as limited in scope...

And didn't I descend the great shaft back then, puzzling my way from the volcano to the cave?

You understand all of this was quite confusing to me. Since I've come back to URU I've been under the impression that there are only very few peopl online, nothing is being developed and everything is slowly dying again...

The first post in this thread speaks of two alternate 'shards'. apparently they are more active than 'the' Cyan shard. I guess I have some catching up to do... But yes I can confirm that at least one new arrival has had exactly the experience sketched in that post - I was about to leave again thinking that beyond the old puzzles there wasn't really much to come back for.

The reason I found my way to this forum is because I felt I should help change this. There should be more new ages, I thought, and rather than just pine for them I could help make them. I wanted to be part of the solution. Now I discover that I'm not so unique in that desire. Well duh, of course I wouldn't be!

But I should have been confronted with this information right from the start.

Which brings me to another thing that in my opinion exacerbates things: all these different instances. Without fully realizing it I have visited many versions of the same area (bevin) and in some there ware way more people than in others. Splintering the population when there aren't really many to begin with doesn't help, I think.

Also, am I the only one who gets kinda depressed by the gloom in the cavern? Everything looks deserted and dead in the cave and that is very discouraging. Things should be brighter and there should be more explorable areas with simple interactive things to do (like eg. the great zero). This algae pellet thing that I read about, why can;t we pretend it was successful and just START that day-night cycle in the cave?

Anyway, I needed to get that off my chest ;)

I wonder if my original expectations of what Myst MMO was going to be ever really existed? I never expected it to be about multiplayer puzzling. I rather figured that it'd be some online RPG game in the myst universe. Like, you'd be able to play all sorts of ordinary D'ni people with jobs that the other myst games only mentioned. Plus there would be this neat principle of traveling through books. some Ages would be like the myst games, deserted puzzle worlds, and others would be more like we're used to from other MMO's. I guess I was wrong about that?

What IS the vision for Myst Online?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:51 pm 
I joined the Cavern some time ago now, and I had much the same experience. I joined a Bevin, got my KI, visited the City. Barely saw anyone. Any time there were a decent number of people, they'd vanish off on a 'door run'. Back then, I had no idea what they were. Since there were no people to talk to, I went off and solved the Ages. I came back, and still found few people. I guess I was in a time zone that made it easier to see people. There still weren't many. So I went back, and solved the rest. Even managed to complete Eder Tsogahl all by myself. I had no idea that it was a multiplayer Age. I tried Delin and couldn't... Eventually, I worked out when people were in the Cavern, and timed my visits so I could be there. I just stood there mostly, and listened to them talking. Not the most welcoming atmosphere ever. Friendly, though. Everyone here likes newcomers. Eventually, I took part in a door run. The first somewhat social event I was at in the Cavern. Enoyed it so much I even hosted one. Still, with the exception of massive events that people have run, the Cavern's stayed very empty, and the only way to deliberately meet someone is to arrange it days beforehand. Very disheartening. And, by then, there were no Ages left to complete. Nothing new to learn. All I could do was make new avvies and do it all again. But there was nothing new.

Hopefully, this will change very soon. There is work being made on an Age designed to hold books to fan Ages. New content will be added to Moula in the near future. For once since Moul ended and Moula started (as far as I am aware), there will be something new to see. Moula isn't dead so long as someone, somewhere, is making something destined for the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
I didn't even discover Uru Live until 2006, so my knowledge of "The Early Days" is second-hand at best, so please feel free to correct me.

My understanding is that Cyan's idea of "promoting" the Cavern (way back in '03) was to have an actor dress up like Jeff Zandi and make the rounds of conventions, speaking to people and describing the Cavern as if it was a real place. If so, then those of us who couldn't attend conventions (for $ome $trange rea$on...) were left in the dark.

Furthermore, I understand that soon after there was some kind of contest/scavenger hunt to find seven "artifacts" which would, in turn light up a billboard with Yeesha's "hand" symbol on it. When all the artifacts were discovered, Uru Live began online.

If this story is true, then this has to be the strangest way to promote an MMO I've ever seen. There weren't any ads in gaming magazines, websites, print or broadcast media? Nothing? If not, then how did Cyan expect to reach the general public? It's no wonder Myst Online has had such a hard time - and GameTap did little more to promote it.

This is why the Cavern is empty - no-one knows it's here!

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:09 pm 
Makes sense. And those who do stumble across it get the game, and promptly leave it, for who knows what reasons. I'm thinking lack of new content is a big one. Perhaps also that taste in video games has moved somewhat away from the style that Myst represents. I mean, head down to anywhere that sells video games, and you'll find more games that aren't like Myst than which bear any sort of resemblance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:59 am 
Obduction Backer

DLordOFTime wrote:
And those who do stumble across it get the game, and promptly leave it, for who knows what reasons. I'm thinking lack of new content is a big one.

This game would have benefited had it been given the proper tools long ago so that people could make their own creations. But in the end the purists who felt threatened by anything not Cyan got their way, and I'm sure that made them very happy. Granted, Cyan is accepting fan fixes now and a couple of other things. But at this point I feel they were late to the party. I watch what places like Gehn Shard can accomplish and wish stuff like this could have been implemented sooner and officially (implementation of custom ages). It works for other games and it could have really worked for this one.

Did you know that in other game communities they sometimes have level making contests? The winner gets the prize of having their level become an official part of the game. Sometimes even with it's own storyline. More productive than stained glass IMO (as pretty as it is).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Tomala wrote:
This game would have benefited had it been given the proper tools long ago so that people could make their own creations.

How many people could afford $3,000.00 and then have the smarts to use the program? Or even now that the game is open-source..You still need that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Charura wrote:
Tomala wrote:
This game would have benefited had it been given the proper tools long ago so that people could make their own creations.

How many people could afford $3,000.00 and then have the smarts to use the program? Or even now that the game is open-source..You still need that!

I was thinking along the lines of a built in Software Development Kit, like many games use these days. ;) It's cheaper and just as effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:54 am 

Tomala wrote:
I was thinking along the lines of a built in Software Development Kit, like many games use these days. ;) It's cheaper and just as effective.

Exactly this. Successful modding communities (to name two off hand examples specifically) Like with the Elder Scrolls games and the Half Life games all have external programs that use the Game resources for building new things. Currently: Skyrim has it's "Creation Kit" and the Source engine has the Hammer map editor. But even then, Portal 2 has an in-game level editor, which, while not as advanced as hammer, is a wonderful start for beginning level designers for Portal 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
The problem here is that Uru Live is an E10+ game, which would require a mind-boggling screening process to make sure only material appropriate for this rating (and story) gets through.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next