It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:45 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: DRC Site forum change
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Since there has been no discussions on the DRC Site forum for over a year except for spammers and people talking about spammers, I have made it read-only for regular members (the DRC can still post in the DRC Discussions area).

If regular members want to use the DRC Site forum for discussions or there is any DRC activity then we can add something like the Explorers usergroup on the DRC site.

Thanks,
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

There have been a few discussions in the Share Your Journey subforum in the past year, but yes, it is pretty dead.

So maybe you could also unlock the DRC Liaison Election Discussions subforum (it's still there, just hidden)?

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:43 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I post Dr. Watson's pellet data monthly (well, okay, theoretically monthly - I get behind sometimes, er, okay, okay, usually) on the DRC Site in Share Your Journey (Lake Project Pellet Data Readings). So I would appreciate being part of a group that can post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:30 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
I post Dr. Watson's pellet data monthly (well, okay, theoretically monthly - I get behind sometimes, er, okay, okay, usually) on the DRC Site in Share Your Journey (Lake Project Pellet Data Readings). So I would appreciate being part of a group that can post.

IMO this should be moved to a more visible location. Nobody looks at the drcsite forums except us old guys anymore. If it's really important and useful data, it should be posted somewhere the majority of fans know to look for it. If it's not important or useful, let's not keep spending Cyan and JW time on keeping it updated.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Awww, I hate it when reality sets in. :(

Would it be a lot of trouble and expense to set up and maintain a usergroup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:38 am 
Obduction Backer

I kinda wish it DID have a reason to be there and active. I know you guys have other things and all, but the little discussions on that forum gave the DRC members some life. Even though at the same time it was kinda weird because (as they even noted) a public forum is not the place for those sort of private communications.

Just wish more had come of it, even during MOUL. And now, it's gone. :(

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sadly, the DRC forum hasn't really been relevant since the first Uru Live... You know, back when there was a real story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
That makes me wonder: would it be possible to have some kind of sorta "mini-story" between the various members of the DRC on the forums? It wouldn't have to be an out-and-out drama, just something to let us know that the DRC are discussing and planning, even if only IC?

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:03 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Tai'lahr wrote:
Would it be a lot of trouble and expense to set up and maintain a usergroup?
Probably not, but the question that I think Chogon is leaving us with is "Is it worth the effort? Would anyone actually use it?"
I (and the other moderators) have tried to direct anyone wanting to have an IC discussion towards the DRCsite forums, but as has been pointed out "People don't like talking to an empty room", so it becomes a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

AdamJohnso wrote:
Sadly, the DRC forum hasn't really been relevant since the first Uru Live... You know, back when there was a real story.
I don't know about that. In some sense yeah, but it seemed to have relevance in the period between Gametap MO:UL and MO:ULa, where many "characters" like Tweek, J.D.Barnes, Professor Clarke, Marcus Wheeler, Vincent Kingsley, et al continued to RP an underground existence and provided a form of continuity in the void. It played a big part in the opening of MO:ULa, but that's history now and it's been quiet there ever since.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:44 pm 

I think the reference of the first URU live is the prologue. That time the DRC info was really relevant and was also used by the DRC members, It's really nice to have that info still available.

It is a pity that the DRC is gone and the DRC forum as an IC forum died when gametap MOUL started. Never have seen a post of Cate Alexander (the replacement of DrWatson) I think it is a good decision to close the DRC forum as there are no active DRCmembers anymore.

Oh Boy how time flies and the story realy faded into realy "something else tm"..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
I (and the other moderators) have tried to direct anyone wanting to have an IC discussion towards the DRCsite forums, but as has been pointed out "People don't like talking to an empty room", so it becomes a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Bah! I can remember a time when an IC thread here would be deleted and the poster informed that the DRC site was the only appropriate place for it. Even as recently as the re-opening, one of mine was deleted here. What happened to those rules?

This new generation of explorers that's been busy filling up the Creativity section here could be over there keeping that site alive and interesting. I d'no about others, but I would have been more likely to participate in those threads if they had been where they were supposed to be on the DRC site because I was trained to be strictly OOC here and IC over there. What happened to those rules?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote:

Bah! I can remember a time when an IC thread here would be deleted and the poster informed that the DRC site was the only appropriate place for it. Even as recently as the re-opening, one of mine was deleted here. What happened to those rules?

This new generation of explorers that's been busy filling up the Creativity section here could be over there keeping that site alive and interesting. I d'no about others, but I would have been more likely to participate in those threads if they had been where they were supposed to be on the DRC site because I was trained to be strictly OOC here and IC over there. What happened to those rules?

You mean there is some form of consistency around here? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:42 pm 

I really would like to have the ability to post there...I'd honestly forgotten about both forums for awhile, but would LOVE to get things going there and IC. Just putting my 10¢ in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:01 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Tai'lahr wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote:

There's nothing in the rules now or in the previous form of rules that was posted by Greydragon that says these should be OOC only forums, although there is a RAWA post on the DRCsite forums saying that D'ni is to be treated as "real" on the IC sections there. I know some fans made some insistence that the UruLive forums (as they were then known) should be strictly OOC (I guess so that the IC stuff stayed in one place) but it never seemed to be captured in a "rule", more a convention that people were mostly content to adhere to.

I wouldn't go "blaming" the "new generation of explorers" though - For the most part, the DRCsite forums dropped out of use once MO:ULa came online and the offline RP that had been keeping it going faded away, so newer folks who wanted to start an IC topic found the place already deserted. When challenged on starting IC threads here, most people's response has been along the lines of "But if it goes on the DRC site no-one will see it. What do I need to do to keep it here, where my friends already are?"

The Creativity section creates a bit of an anomaly and over time it's gotten harder to discriminate between what's an IC thread and what's a creative work. The one thing that did make a difference was posting as one of your IC characters: The DRC site allowed you to create accounts for each avatar, so you could in effect have a thread where you could be "talking to yourself", while here you'd need to post as yourself recounting the journals of the IC characters. A bit clumsy but it makes it come across more as work of fiction rather than being "real" as it would have been on the DRC site.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Whitch2 wrote:
This is also to notify members that threads of a mostly IC or roleplaying nature currently active on the MO:UL forums will be closed and moved over to the Off Topic forum, where they will remain for reference purposes.

PLEASE READ – IC/Roleplaying vc. OOC - a post by Moderator Whitch2 on Apr 04, 2007

Tomala wrote:
You mean there is some form of consistency around here? :)

Yes, people are consistently let down.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next