It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:05 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:56 am 

I think Tai makes a good point: we’ve seen a couple of cases recently here where the OOC/IC divide has become a source of a certain amount of acrimony, and it’s possible, even likely, that taking all that over to a dedicated forum where characters, rather than players, post would avoid some unnecessary stress. Setting up a usergroup at the DRC forum would doubtless be less of an issue than running it: new accounts need to be verified, discussions moderated, etc. My question would be: even on the assumption that interest will probably not be overwhelming, do we currently have moderator/admin capacity for this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah all,

This thread has been very informative! Speaking as one of the dedicated IC posters in the Creativity section, I hadn't realized that the DRC forum was "still alive" technically speaking. Personally, I really like the notion of having all our Creativity IC threads over there in the company of some of its classic explorer threads...

Perhaps we could get Mac to make a big gnarly(TM) sticky with a big gnarly(TM) link to that part of the DRC forum? And post it right at the top of the Creativity thread with some instructions and disclaimers??

This would have the advantage of providing a somewhat "official" actual web link between the two sites, which would make the DRC forums more accessible from here. Although keeping the sites separate in the foggy past (when the DRC was still alive and its members were amongst us) made sense, keeping them strictly separate now is hurting both sites, I think. Having a stickied link from here to there would be a step toward resolving that and help a great deal in keeping both sites alive and well (I hope)...

BTW, I want to be clear that I'm not suggesting that the two sites be merged in any way. (Lotsa work and the DRC stuff really should be separate from the MOULa stuff.) I'm only suggesting that it should be easier to find one while visiting the other and that a bridge of sorts would accomplish that.

It's not clear whether it's a done deal on Cyan's part about archiving the DRC forums. But I'm hoping that Chogon started this thread because they wanted to know if we agreed with their thoughts. My 2 cents, anyhow...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:50 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

There isn't a "done deal", but I think Chogon, probably rightly, observed that there wasn't much activity there and wasn't going to spend effort setting up an "Explorers" group on DRC site if no-one was going to use it. As his OP says, that's still on the table if there's a tangible need being expressed.

Just like the Explorers group here, there'd be a bit of work initially for Chogon (I presume) to set up the group and for the ResEngs on the DRC site to approve the initial influx (assuming there would be an influx :wink: ) of new/returning users, but after that it'd probably just tick over much like here.

It'd be neat if we could simply move threads from here to the DRCsite, but they're completely seperate forums so that's not possible (unless someone could do some database wizardry but that's beyond any realm of practicality, I expect). The big sticky Ainia suggests would be a practical thing to do, but I get the feeling that many people don't always read stickies: They don't really flash up "Read Me!" the way a thread with new posts on it does.

Referring back to Chogon's OP again, no matter what happens, even if the DRC site remains read only for the majority of us, any future DRC posts will still be made on the DRC site forums.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

TY for the clarity Mac_Fife...

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
As his OP says, that's still on the table if there's a tangible need being expressed.

Am I the only person who thinks that, maybe, the DRC forum doesn't need to be reopened? Reopening something just because you can doesn't really make a lot of sense. :) I'm with you all though when it comes to IC discussions; they're pretty cool if you ask me.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:13 am 
It would be better to move IC discussions there and leave OoC discussions here, so that no confusion arises between the two.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
It'd be neat if we could simply move threads from here to the DRCsite, but they're completely seperate forums so that's not possible (unless someone could do some database wizardry but that's beyond any realm of practicality, I expect).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote:
It'd be neat if we could simply move threads from here to the DRCsite, but they're completely seperate forums so that's not possible (unless someone could do some database wizardry but that's beyond any realm of practicality, I expect).

Too much effort. It IS possible but it would take a LOT of work to move just one thread from one forum to another.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:26 am 

Tomala wrote:
Too much effort. It IS possible but it would take a LOT of work to move just one thread from one forum to another.

Why should you? As long as the DRC are non-existant why not have an IC section on this forum. Never understood why this forum is a strictly OOC forum. As soon the DRC would be back in the picture I would appreciate to have the DRC forum opened up again.
As long there is no DRC i am happy with read only.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Geert wrote:
Tomala wrote:

Why should you? As long as the DRC are non-existant why not have an IC section on this forum. Never understood why this forum is a strictly OOC forum. As soon the DRC would be back in the picture I would appreciate to have the DRC forum opened up again.
As long there is no DRC i am happy with read only.

That could work. I already suggested that in the Teledahn thread. Now that I have it'll probably be looked upon as a bad idea. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:45 am 

My understanding was that the DRC forum functioned differently: here, players have an account; there, characters/avatars have an account. Which means that whereas here I only have one account, there I could have four, and and my various characters could talk to each other. There's also an issue of character consistency: the person we refer to as RAWA here is Dr. Watson there; subsuming both under "RAWA" seems counter-intuitive. (Similar issue for Blade/Barnes, Eleri/Echo, and so on.) If genuinely fictional characters are at any point going to play a role in the Cavern again, the DRC forum would be a better place for them to post than here. (And—this just in passing—looking at the recent discussion of Teledahnian physics, I reckon a bit more fictionality might do us good: it's much easier to cope with being told one is an idiot or a fraud if the person being criticised isn't "me" but rather merely a character I play from time to time.)

Post subject: DRC forum status?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah again,

Thanks for the info Gahlen (and thanks for the KI message--I sent you a PM here about it).

I'd like to make a formal request for posting access to the DRC site forums (though I realize that Chogon and Cyan in general may already have made up their minds otherwise). I really would love to have a place to post my IC threads where they won't get waylaid by OOC commentary. This happens on a regular basis here (understandably, since we have no formal policy about that). But it's frustrating and very disruptive to the IC role playing (and the storytelling process in general).

Pretty please??

My thought is to post a heads-up thread here with a link to my DRC thread, which would provide access for explorers who are unaware of the DRC forums and/or who don't have an account there.

Anyway, I believe the conflict we have been seeing here lately is in a large part due to the incompatibility between IC and OOC and the general lack of awareness of posters about these two perspectives. Mixing the two in discussion threads is oftentimes akin to throwing gasoline onto a flame. Very unpleasant for everyone and oftentimes irreparably destructive.

I really would like to see a viable solution implemented so that we all can get back to exploring the Cavern and Ages in whichever way suits us (and without stepping on each others' toes). This (at least at first glance) seems to be one of the simpler means to address this (though I realize it may be far from simple for Chogon et al.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:57 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Gahlen wrote:
My understanding was that the DRC forum functioned differently: here, players have an account; there, characters/avatars have an account. Which means that whereas here I only have one account, there I could have four, and and my various characters could talk to each other. [...]
Yes. To create an IC forum here that permits posting by Avatar names would require that the "one account per user" rule here would have to be rescinded - that's not simply a case of saying that the rule is changed, since the forum software is currently configured to reject account registrations if they're obviously from an existing user. That can be worked round or turned off, but in fairness it'd probably be about the same amount of effort as installing an Explorer group on the DRC site. From a user perspective, many people already have Avatar accounts on the DRC site (as Gahlen illustrates) so I'd think it'd be simpler for them to use the accounts they already have there rather than create new ones here. It's not such a big deal for people who only ever post as a primary avatar that has a name that matches their forum account, but some people used to (it doesn't seem to happen so much these days) create avatars for which they have constructed a back story and biography, much like those of the DRC characters.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:12 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Hi folks,

Please see this news on OpenUru.org about a new forum we're offering for IC use.

http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=812

I would still like to see the DRC forums open using Zardoz's option #3 (Create new usergroup, and have Cyan (reseng) approval govern joining this group). The IC forum on OU is not meant as a replacement for the DRC forums, nor did Cyan ask for it. OU is an OOC site. But recent events and a personal request just made us reconsider how to offer something for you within our framework. Creating an IC forum within the Writers Club forum that Hitana founded seemed a nice fit. I'm hoping it sparks more creative storytelling and literary efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:11 pm 

DLordofTime wrote:
It would be better to move IC discussions there and leave OoC discussions here, so that no confusion arises between the two.

I totally understand the sentimentality of the DRC forums, as I spent several years of my life posting there daily. I also understand the convenience of separating IC and OOC conversations. However, consider this - until Chogon brought it up, none of us were posting over there. Except maybe a handful of people like JWP updating years-old threads. Myself, I can't even remember the last time I logged in there. If it wasn't a big deal before Chogon mentioned it, why is it a big deal now?

Yes, there's a lot of archived info, memories, and shared good times. But if the resources aren't there to maintain it, and more importantly hardly anyone is using it for it's intended purpose, I say let it die a natural death.

Ainia said it perfectly - "I hadn't realized the DRC forum was still alive". It's not. It's a shoebox filled with memories of a golden age that we don't want to let go, but have no real use for either other than to pull out every couple of years, dust off and remember some good times, before we put it away again to collect more dust. It's "Grandma's Old Trunk in the Attic", nothing more at this point.

If it has served it's purpose, and the resources can be better spent elsewhere, c'est la vie. Archive the site somewhere handy for reference, open an IC section of these forums, and call it good.

Sorry if this is an unpopular opinion, but reading over this thread, I wanted to share the opposite side of the coin. I don't mean to sound heartless, just being realistic. If none of us are posting there now, then there's clearly no point in keeping it open for no reason.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next