It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

There seems to be a misconception that, if you state your opinions while using an IC name, this magically renders anything you say immune from any contradiction whatsoever.

Rather than multiple-posting, please see my brief comment here...thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Once upon a time, the Guild of Writers began an in character forum experiment... I think there were approximately 6 topics created in its time. We eventually locked and archived the forum due to disuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:09 pm 

That's too bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rils wrote:
Sorry if this is an unpopular opinion, but reading over this thread, I wanted to share the opposite side of the coin. I don't mean to sound heartless, just being realistic. If none of us are posting there now, then there's clearly no point in keeping it open for no reason.

Hmm, yes and no-There hasn't been anything new over there in forever, but I don't think it is because no one cares that it is there. I think part of the reason people stopped posting IC over there is because it- in character- belongs to the DRC, and if the DRC wasn't around, the forum wasn't meant to be active. It was seen as just a shoebox for memories.

But, if the word went around that the DRC forum is the IC forum of choice for D'niverse fans, and it was cleaned up a bit to make room for new IC happenings, people would start posting there. If just reopening & polishing the DRC forum isn't a good idea, then maybe archiving it, and starting a Cyan-hosted IC forum from scratch would work just as well.

People want IC, they just need to tools to make it happen *cough*Unwritten*cough*

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:16 pm 

Eleri wrote:

People want IC, they just need to tools to make it happen *cough*Unwritten*cough*

Well there are good IC (in cavern i.e D'ni universe exists) forums like DPWR net

To my opinion Rils makes a good point. the DRC forum was there to follow the activities of the DRC and to get some insight in their thoughts and actions.. Again the DRC is not active nor is one of the IC characters like Yeesha, Zandi, Douglas Sharper or any other active in the caverns.
I think the definition IC as in cavern is a good one. Just experience the D'ni universe as real. The only role you have is being an explorer.

It's good to hear from chogon the DRC members are still able to post in their section on the DRC forum. It gives some hope and as soon as they will post it would be a good thing to re-open the IC section of the DRC forum.

Just my 2 cents :wink: . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Geert wrote:
Well there are good IC (in cavern i.e D'ni universe exists) forums like DPWR net

DPWR is read-only now: https://plus.google.com/105570876197647 ... VVHZqyQ2d4
I pretty sure there'll be a place for fanfic on the new GoArc site, not sure about places to actively roleplay. You'd have to ask Alahmnat

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

I am coming late to this thread (as usual) but I do want to add my vote to the #3 option.

I'm glad for this thread, as I'd honestly forgotten about the DRC forum. No, I hadn't forgotten about it so much as I didn't understand how I could use it (my issue, not any else's). I didn't really understand for the longest time how it worked or how I could contribute (except when part of another group). Because so many fan OOC discussions ranged from there to here, it didn't seem to me to be 'part of the story' differently than this forum is 'part of the story'. As a new teller of tales, I needed somewhere to talk to other storytellers about ideas and methods, but that didn't seem part of the DRC forum structure, either. So I didn't see a way to use it. Now that I have been telling my story (in a forum structure with a group of storytellers) I understand both the relationship and story potential of the DRC forum much better. I have also figured out how to tell the story without smashing into canon, and I finally have time to tell it for the first time since I played Myst in 1997. (It took til 2010 to get those academic degrees. Sheesh...)

Quoting Gahlen
Quote:
My understanding was that the DRC forum functioned differently: here, players have an account; there, characters/avatars have an account. Which means that whereas here I only have one account, there I could have four, and and my various characters could talk to each other. There's also an issue of character consistency: the person we refer to as RAWA here is Dr. Watson there; subsuming both under "RAWA" seems counter-intuitive. (Similar issue for Blade/Barnes, Eleri/Echo, and so on.) If genuinely fictional characters are at any point going to play a role in the Cavern again, the DRC forum would be a better place for them to post than here. (And—this just in passing—looking at the recent discussion of Teledahnian physics, I reckon a bit more fictionality might do us good: it's much easier to cope with being told one is an idiot or a fraud if the person being criticised isn't "me" but rather merely a character I play from time to time.)

Quoting Eleri
Quote:
But, if the word went around that the DRC forum is the IC forum of choice for D'niverse fans, and it was cleaned up a bit to make room for new IC happenings, people would start posting there. If just reopening & polishing the DRC forum isn't a good idea, then maybe archiving it, and starting a Cyan-hosted IC forum from scratch would work just as well.

I agree with both of you. Using the creativity section here is OK, but doesn't have quite the immersive feel I like, since my characters cannot post for themselves. IC characters would benefit from being able to talk about their Cavern experiences in a place tied to the Cavern in a somewhat formal way. They'd all be happy to wear a label that said "IC character" If not the DRC forum, then yes, another. We started doing that at CCN but we were a very small group and RL took over our lives completely.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

ghaelen wrote:
If not the DRC forum, then yes, another. We started doing that at CCN but we were a very small group and RL took over our lives completely.

I'm sort of curious where OpenUru's new IC forum might go, though it currently looks kinda lonely. Maybe it's a good excuse to for me to start replying in Garret's thread. :D

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:55 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

"Might go" as in the direction of activity? Or the actual location of the forum in the main structure?

If you are wondering where it is, it's here:
http://forums.openuru.org/viewforum.php?f=113

Or from the main forum index, follow Board index -> Open Uru Creative & Community Projects -> Writers Club >- Explorer Journeys. It's not exactly obvious, but it was the best context we could think of giving it and we didn't want to make the main index any longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
"Might go" as in the direction of activity?

Yes; I think it could be interesting. In fact, check out my response to Garret here. :D

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5