It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:44 pm 

Hi all!

Sorry to tushie like in like this but I sure have missed everyone, been busy, busy.

This morning on Twitter, I was flipping through and cursed myself for not keeping a closer eye on things. To my dismay I found myself reading about some recent drama, (that we are NOT going to bring up, Chogon's orders) and after a visit to the Guild of Messengers website (Go Messengers!) and a trip over to the Heritage Night site (woot woot, liked that), and since it's an Olympic year, I just got involuntarily led down memory lane.

A long time ago, I was talking to a dear friend of mine and sure enough, he looked at me and said, "Uru, and by extension the Myst Universe as a whole, is a sort of Excellence Filter. If you can survive all of the puzzles then go through what we have: open, closed, then opened again, then closed, then opened once again and so on; and still have a sense of humor to joyfully exclaim 'It's not a bug, it's a feature!', that's strength that is only found when you have stuck with it as long as we have. What we've been through has washed away those whose faith waned, it strengthened and rewarded the tenacity of those who did not give up, and along the way, it's brought out the worst in a few, but the very best in so many more. Those that remain are the ones who have been made better and stronger, more excellent, for the experience."

I liked that, it was sweet. So it's inspired my new blog post today (I basically took my TJMOC and moved it to a blog format) and it led me to hunt up some old, as in waaaaay back, photos that some I just laughed my fanny off.

So here I am, old shoebox out, filled with old photos, a couple of medals and a glass coffee cup from the first D'ni Games, reel to reel tapes of old podcasts over at TCT, bags of Cool Cleft Flavor D'nitos and sure enough, look at what I found!!! The RAWA Signal!!! It's back! Wheeeee! (OMG, someone copy and save that sucker for posterity...)

Na-na-na-na
Na-na-na-na

Rah-waaaa!

(He's so awesome)
(He's so awesome)

RAH-WAAAAAAA!!

Forgive my silliness...I don't mean to invoke him unnecessarily other than to say hi and I was relaying to someone the other day that I've learned the swear words in three languages (you know you always learn the swear words first...) but I have yet to find a good old fashioned D'ni curse to level on my boyfriend's head equivalent to "I hope a bahro comes and poops in your coffee." (Yes, boyfriend. Husband is now ex-husband going on 4 years.)

I learned "eat rocks" from a previous post someone was kind enough to put up, but I mean I need one heck of a hum-dinger that would really put prissy ol' Veovis in ten different kinds of knots he was so insulted. I mean one that would even make Nara melt. And no swears inferring that someone is a uh, well, of Jon Snow's disposition from Game of Thrones either, it's too easy to go there, although that would be a good start.

I was also looking for an old, old, dinosaur old, ticket I wrote way, WAAAY back in the day called "Let's Talk Teledahn." I have someone I want to show it to, so I was wondering if anyone could grab a Cyantist and see if they've still got that one hanging up on a wall somewhere? It's one that was a learning curve because it was my very first ticket and I think I saved up 42 bugs or something ridiculous like that, and shoved them ALL into one story-form ticket. It was an epic ticket and funny as all get out, but I did get back a note that said:

Quote:
Thanks so much for the entertaining ticket. However, next time, please limit your bugs to one per ticket.

Oh did I feel like an idiot lost at the world's coolest MENSA convention that day. Noob move, yes, but at least I learned from it, which is what we do best around here.

But after that whole "Let's talk Teledahn" thing, I made sure to still exercise my sense of humor while ticketing only ONE bug per ticket. In my digging this morning, I did find a graphic that I sent with a ticket for Kadish...check it out...

I nearly fell out of my chair when I found that one. That's vintage, from the GameTap thing in 2006, along with my userKI from back then too. Holy cow I'm a pack rat!

I found another photo where my KI tells me that I'm in "Relto Relto", the day my KI turned into a small cartoon Roman hollering "Pizza Pizza". Which as I recall had me spending the entire day every time I looked at a relto book, do an in-voice impersonation of the Little Caesars ads going "Pizza Pizza" which I believe people were ready to throw me off of my relto WITHOUT my linking book hollering, "See ya, See ya" as I plummeted to my death.

I found a photo of Sudre balancing on an upside down cone, like that's new...I think it's his natural state. LOL

I found the old postcard of me and Bahro Joe in Kemo...

Lordy, so much stuff!

But walking down memory lane sure did make me miss you guys. I still quote my signature bar all the time. There is something so funny about imagining yourself as a hamster in an Ahnonay hamster wheel, Uru always ever-changing around us, opening, closing, opening, closing, opening again, yet always staying the same with the same wonderful folks.

Hugs! Love you guys!

OOOH! You know what, I forgot something... If you're not in advertising for a living just skip this part.

[spoiler]

[rant]

This has been chafing my hide like a bahro looking at Escher in his bahro-skin jacket the very second I saw it pop up on the television and I hollered words you just don't say in Cavern...

I'm not a prideful person, I'd give anyone from our Cavern family the shirt off my back. I really do love my cavern blood with all my heart but I'm madder than a hornet at whomever in our community works for Goodman, Silverstein and Partners and took my "runs deep" thing...man, that's for CAVERN blood, not for some gas guzzling smog monster (says the girl with a Prius). That just locks up my mind, how the heck does a car, a brand or anything in the automotive industry 'run deep' without a dang snorkel sticking up out of the hood? What, did you think the D'Olympics (what everyone knows now as the D'ni Games) just flew into Cavern out of thin air? Do you think I was in bed for a week with sciatica so bad I laid there and cried after three months of planning and close on to 72 straight hours with almost no sleep for that whole thing because I love pain, only to watch my dear friend who I did it all for die just a few months later? You think I come up with ideas right, left, and center for these people who I love with all my heart for some selfish reason? LORDY! For shame! Not to be prideful, but I could have given you a thousand tag lines for a Chevy without even breaking a sweat. I'm only an Ad/PR major at UNLV freshly inducted into Phi Kappa Phi and Kappa Tau Alpha! I could have given you all of the ideas you wanted for free just for the sole reason we're Cavern family, you didn't have to outright steal my "Cavern Blood Runs Deep" line, that was for our family, not to make money from.

See, cavern blood running deep makes sense. A cavern is a hole in the ground that in most people's heads goes DOWN, deep into the earth *ahem, Uru = Deep City*. If you wanted to stress how American family tradition was rooted in the Chevy brand, all you had to do, if you're as inspired as I am by the Myst Universe, saying, "Tradition, from the ground up" in reference to the Great Tree of Possibilities, you know the tree that binds us all together as one, that allows the Art to link the ages through our linking books? That's as grass roots as it gets and you could have shown fifty ways to Sunday how Chevy builds their cars and trucks from the ground up for the American family or shown a family tree with each member passing down, buying new or heck I don't care, shove a Chevy of some sort in there to show how it links the family together! OOOOOOH! If I could tear a switch from Terokh Jeruth and chase you around Minkata I would! I've got 1000 ideas a day, and you had to come and steal the one that is the most sacred to me because it ties me to all of these wonderful people.

Yahvo give me strength! Man oh man, next time, don't poach! Just come ask! That way your agency doesn't look like a pack of doodah's when you lose the account to Omnicom going, "um, well, it does mean something..." yeah it does, in URU and the rest of the Myst Universe! Just ask the lady who wrote the line that you saw on her story entry on the MystMovie site before it got taken down! There's a darn fine reason why I chose that line. I didn't steal it, I started using it in There after the first closure back in '04 when those chuckleheads were giving us such a hard time to reinforce my belief in our values and our ties across worlds.

Sheesh! Shame on you. You don't steal from family. CAVERN BLOOD runs deep.

And for those of you who just had to look anyway, I'm sorry you had to see me lose my temper. I'm real sorry, but whomever stole that deserved every lick of that.
[/rant]
[/spoiler]

KI: 839389

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Great collection of memories, Sh'aeri. I had no idea I'd be one of the old timers around here, but they'll have to carry away me kicking and screaming.

Lots of great memories out there for me as well! Lurking on RivenGuild, watching all the hidden RealMyst stuff being figured out by all the smart people, being allowed into Prologue with the great unwashed (yep that included me with my iffy internet connection).

Then after the the (first) great disappointment, found a home with many great friends on the Ubi$*%^ Uru forums with the Mystery of the Bahro Caves and the Experimental Program threads, courtesy of our small but trepid leader, Professor Thietris. Here's a group picture from the Institution (thanks to Elkae):
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I was thrilled when we were back online with Until Uru,with its Kagi Keys and a Giant Gnarly Disclaimer. With all the UU shards, parties, events, it was an exciting time. Here was a party in my neighbor JadesDream's Eder Kemo with friends from Tapestry and Slackers. That's me on the left, Leele, Eleri, Jades, Grizz, Louly, BAD, Rik and Jeff. Footprint took the photo.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I have my Tapestry forum avatar from the Great Food Fight:

I had been hopeful that MOUL (Gametap) would be successful, but am happy that we have MOULa and have had a busy Guild of Writers with many wonderful fan created ages (including my favorite, Relativity) and efforts to improve Uru through Open Source. Unfortunately many avid explorers, friends and fans of Uru have lost interest and moved on to other things. I'm still hopeful for the future, but I don't find my way into the cavern near often enough, but real life can be demanding.

Thanks for all the memories!

[spoiler]Sh'aeri, thanks for the Cavern Blood Runs Deep slogan. I like it. Besides, just wait 6 months and Chevy will try another slogan.[/spoiler]

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:44 am 
Obduction Backer

I dunno if Rex Havoc still frequents these parts, but I still have and cherish my medal from the D'mala era D'ni Games. I have it hanging alongside the medals me and my friends won at a local Rock Band Olympics event.

I remember just edging out another explorer for the gold in the Kemo Sprints... I believe it was Leonor? My heart was pounding at the end as if I had done the sprint for real, I was so excited! Definitely one of my favorite memories from Uru.

Post subject: Good to hear from you!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hello Sh'aeri.

It is great to hear from you again. I do not claim to be an old timer or a regular for that matter, but I do try to keep tabs on things in URU form time to time. And despite the predicament that URU, and Cyan as a whole, appears to be stuck in the mud, the recent drama, that we are not going to bring up, may be the only thing that has the potential to get it unstuck, despite all of the drama. At least there appears to be movement...albeit negative. Let's just hope everyone involved get things worked out amicably.

Anyway, I do miss your TCT Talks. They were always informative and whimsical and at least in my mind showed that there were signs of life in the URU community. With the loss of presence of the Greeters and individual projects like TCT, the magic and allure of URU continues to wane, but that's just me. It could be that I am just stuck in the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Holy blast-from-the-past, Batman. Uh...RAWA. I found my medal. I didn't win anything, I got mine for volunteering to help get competitors where they needed to be. Fun thread and good memories.

I found a pic of Twilite and I modelling the Tapestry Shard D'Olympic uniforms.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah, Shaeri -

It's wonderful to hear from you again! Like those who have posted above, my Uru memories go back to the beginning... actually before the beginning, when all those mystic posts and websites were dropping hints that something extraordinary was going on in the New Mexico desert. I wish I could say I still had my email from Zandi, but that was several computers and email accounts ago.

I've posted a few tidbits below:

Me wearing my Mysterium 2006 shirt:

We actually had TCT shirts in-cavern for a while:

There were crowds:

There were those who have since left us:

And there was the day the door shut:

Yes indeed, what a long, strange trip it's been.

Hugs,

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:53 am 
Obduction Backer

Hello, Sh'aeri. Welcome back!
Wow, chuckles! I haven't seen those KI-pics in years! Deius has it in one - talk about "blast from the past"!!!
Quote:
Mystery of the Bahro Caves
For me this is still the stand-out thread on any forum (though professor Thietris in Jade's underwear drawer (Veronica's Secret!) is a close second).

My memories go back to the Prologue "Clerical Error". It's been a long road but I am still on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:45 pm 

I have but one thing to say to this.

Here, Sh'aeri. Have a chocolate orange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

MMMMM..... Chocolate orange!

By the way, Dalken, you probably remember the group pic on the staircase, posted above... you and I are sitting together toward the bottom of the ramp, wearing our Mysterium shirts.

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi, Sh'aeri and everyone,
I'm still around, too. Too lazy to dig up pics, but it's great to relive the memories that you guys are posting. Uru and all its iterations have been a great experience. I'll always treasure meeting all of you and lag-jumping around in the city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:40 am 

Mowog wrote:
MMMMM..... Chocolate orange!

By the way, Dalken, you probably remember the group pic on the staircase, posted above... you and I are sitting together toward the bottom of the ramp, wearing our Mysterium shirts.

Mowog

I do, in fact! Good times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:45 am 

Oh Mysterium 2006... good memories indeed Mowog! Well I couldn't find any of my old photos but I did find this little gem! A visit from Yeesha in Kveer, our exodus!

[spoiler]Image
[/spoiler]

~Tyion~

~Yeesha~

Last edited by Ty on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Someone say Mysterium 06? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:47 am 

Woot! Woot! for Mysterium 06!! :D :D

~Yeesha~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Some footage from Mysterium 2006 part 1 (37 MB ) and Mysterium 2006 part 2 (12 MB)

Enjoy!

(FLV player needed)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next