It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:07 pm 

I always thought that New Content is whats needed to put Myst On-line back on the map, and im curios as to what fan made ages the Community would like to see on the new open source shard, Now I would vote for my own but that just seems a bit to cheesy
and mine still lack the technical and texture stuff that a lot of the others have.

I always liked Jo'nae Hood and would love to see it on open source or even better would like to produce something like it but Im not familiar enough with Max/plazma to do anything that elaborate

So the Question I would like to ask the Myst community is

What Fan Made Age's Would You like To Explore On Open Source
I was also hoping of the Cyan employees and forum moderators can chime in with their favorites as well.

thank you
I would have made a poll question out of it but their are over a hundred to choose from and im not sure they would have let me get away with that
:roll:

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm just lurking here on the forum, waiting for SOMETHING to show up on the official Cyan shard. I really don't have the time to cruise the various unofficial sites...even after hearing good things about some of them. Come on! Open up and let us play on the Cyan-based shard. Ya know ya wanna.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Teknobubba wrote:
waiting for SOMETHING to show up on the official Cyan shard.

Never gonna happen, given the resistance we see in changing even minor build dependencies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

For a long time I kept tabs over on the Guild of Writer's forum on Jonnee's age Breldur. From what I saw it was very impressive and huge. But he seems to have abandoned the project. Haven't seen a new post from him in over a year. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:45 am 
Obduction Backer

sideshow118 wrote:
For a long time I kept tabs over on the Guild of Writer's forum on Jonnee's age Breldur.

Ditto... That was nice. (Wish I could say 'is')

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:21 pm 

I suspect most people are pretty uninformed about fan Ages, and simply don't have much idea about how to find out what's out there. Fortunately, help has arrived: janaba (I hope I'm not stealing your thunder, jana :D) had the really very good idea of putting all of the information about the Ages into two files and uploaded them to the net. If anyone's interested, you can find her announcement of them here. (And now suddenly below, I see … yay for simultaneity! :P)

For my own part, on the basis of my own aesthetic prejudices, and just from the pictures, I would like to explore Tweek's Fehnir House, Kaelis' Pub Office and Whilyam's Sholek's Temple.

One general reflection: Chogon had a point when he said, some moons ago, that a game should tell a story. I'd be keen to see new Ages added, here or to Gehn (more plausible), with some sort of narrative thread to them; not necessarily a journal, if that would stress the Writer, but perhaps a posting to the DRC forum (!) that a new Book had been discovered or something, and maybe some assessment of what we're dealing with, how safe it is, whether there is evidence of Bahro inhabitance (is that a word?) and so forth. "New content" doesn't just mean "new places to go"; there has to be a sense that the places to go have a significance, a story to tell … a story we need to feel ourselves to be part of again.

Last edited by Gahlen on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

I wouldn't think of it as a lack of interest, Karkadann, it is just, as Teknobubba indicates,
if people have a full timetable on their RL journey they cannot afford and thus refrain from
spending their short recreational spare time with roaming through various web spaces, not
exactly knowing what to expect or what would be worth looking for and where to find sth.
even worth the effort etc. ... :P

If anybody here would be interested, this week I have put together some information from
the 'Uru Fan Ages Wiki' along with one to three pictures of all available fan ages in two
PDF files to comfortably glance through, and today I've posted them on the GoW forums ...

You could read there why and how I did it along with the download link, but for all who like to
stay in this space here and nonetheless feel inspired to see and get to know what the age
builders might have come up with in all those years, which is quite impressive I can assure
you,

... please follow this link to a folder which contains two PDF files with the ages A-N and O-Z
(around 8MB each) along with the original Word doc files (around9MB each) of which I've created
those PDFs in case someone liked to edit or adjust the compilation ...

Please, be aware that the provided information for each age is actually its walkthrough,
but if you don't like to know it beforehand don't read it and just enjoy the picture gallery ... :D

Haha ... cool, Gahlen, you were posting while I was offering the same link ... Great idea, however ... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:11 pm 

Some of my favorites are Llantern, Serene, Fehnir House, Fahets, and Relativity.

That's just off the top of my head, from memory. There are many more like ERC Age, Sonavio, Jon'ae, Taygahn... that would also be deserving of consideration. Ahra Pahts is amazing in terms of sheer scale but unfortunately much of it is still empty at this time. If more of the shells were filled with good content it'd be in better position, I think.

Breldur would be a great choice except it isn't finished (and seems to have been abandoned)

I'd personally also like to see my own first age - D'ni Temple: Area One - to make it onto some CWE shards at some point.
It is detailed visually, but lacks audio (probably its single most glaring flaw). I think with some good sound added, and a bit of work getting it to CWE... it could potentially be approved for inclusion in Gehn shard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

For the sake of sorting out comptibility issues: ages importable to the offline version of Uru are not compatible with MOULa, correct? But ages that can be imported into the Gehn shard or the Mintaka shard are compatible with Cyan's offical shard. Do I have that right? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:14 pm 

True, but it may be possible to port Uru:CC fan ages to Gehn shard, with some effort and some modification.

Just as the Vothol Gallery and Tre'bivdil have successfully made that transition, other fan ages might also be possible to modify for CWE-based shards. (Gehn, Minkata, Lyros, and - with Cyan Worlds' approval - MOULa) It won't be easy and it'll take a while, which is why we will need to prioritize and narrow the field from over a hundred to a handful of 'high-priority', 'high-quality' ages that by consensus deserve to be first fan ages in line for this process.

When PyPRP2 is better debugged, BTW, it should become possible to output to CWE-based shards from Blender, not just outdated versions of 3ds max. That will open up things to a lot more members of the Guild of Writers and remove the limitations and convoluted workarounds that are currently slowing this process to a crawl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

matthornb wrote:
True, but it may be possible to port Uru:CC fan ages to Gehn shard, with some effort and some modification.

Just as the Vothol Gallery and Tre'bivdil have successfully made that transition, other fan ages might also be possible to modify for CWE-based shards. (Gehn, Minkata, Lyros, and - with Cyan Worlds' approval - MOULa) It won't be easy and it'll take a while, which is why we will need to prioritize and narrow the field from over a hundred to a handful of 'high-priority', 'high-quality' ages that by consensus deserve to be first fan ages in line for this process.

When PyPRP2 is better debugged, BTW, it should become possible to output to CWE-based shards from Blender, not just outdated versions of 3ds max. That will open up things to a lot more members of the Guild of Writers and remove the limitations and convoluted workarounds that are currently slowing this process to a crawl.

PyPRP2's developent will not continue, because of fundamental problems with it. The future has a name, though, and it is "korman". :wink:

Converting Ages manually is an extremely time-consuming process. AFAIK, Vothol was already converted when it was brought to the Gehn Shard. However, I do agree that there should be an effort of prioritization for high-quality Ages, despite hurdles - now you need to find people willing to do the work. 8) I believe Deledrius built a tool to make things easier, though: https://github.com/Deledrius/PlasmaTransfusion (requires libHSPlasma with PyHSPlasma installed).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:45 pm 

Interesting, didn't know about 'Korman' until you mentioned it.

BTW, I did a bit of checking and it looks like Korman is a Blender age creation plugin that Hoikas is now developing due to the problems you mentioned (with PyPRP2). The issues with PYPRP2, and the need for an alternative... look like yet another challenge for a fanbase that has already been struggling for years. Kudos to Tsar Hoikas for his willingness to work on this; I hope things go fairly smoothly and that he and anyone else assisting him, manage to complete it reasonably soon.

We could really use some sort of plugin (whatever the name) to get fan ages from Blender to CWE. It'd be immensely beneficial to the productivity of the Guild of Writers - and by extension good for fans playing Uru.

I had figured that the CWE conversion process was probably slow and difficult, though my lack of Python scripting skill meant that I couldn't be sure exactly how hard it was to do. But I knew it wasn't easy - if it were easy I figured we'd have more than two ages converted by now, and that's why I suggested prioritizing and picking only a few ages to focus on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

There is a list of available fan ages here. I try to keep it fresh. Earlier I updated it monthly, but unfortunately, since Dusty has closed the doors, apart from a few version updates there isn't too much to add.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

With over 100 ages to choose from, deciding on a favorite is almost impossible :shock: . "Favorite" is such a subjective term, but I think the ages that impress me the most are first, Adrael; I don't think anything else comes close to what was accomplished by the team that built that. My second favorite age is definitely Turtle Isle. IMHO, that age is just plain fun, plus it looks good.

Now, if you ask my grandson, Hayal wins every time. He's also a big fan of the slides in Hui Nexus and the dinosaur rides that ametist created.

Unfortunately, all of these ages are heavy on wiring and coding, so I don't expect to see them in the MOUL engine anytime soon. But, hey, everything has to start somewhere and at least we're moving forward again :D .

I found this old GoW promo video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZbRlCkLjn8

It took some serious talent to make that too! Pretty neat.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]