It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:11 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:32 am 

I was just thinking, there are silly things people could do every now & then, might toss a few more dollars toward Cyan, for use in Uru....

In the first place, does Cyan outright own the copyright on the Uru soundtrack? It's not currently being sold on Amazon or iTunes.. maybe they could get it re-released? They do an 'expanded' release that adds a few more tracks, taken from that hour-plus of in-game music that isn't on the official soundtrack.

BUT.. I was also thinking the fans could take part in a bit of a contest... Cyan could put together a fan-created remix cd--- To enter the contest, you just make your own personal remix or cover of one of the songs from the Uru soundtrack and email it as an MP3 or OGG file, to Cyan... Cyan & co pick their favorite version of each track, and put together a remix album--- sell this album on the site, on Amazon, on iTunes & all proceeds go into the Uru kitty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Both these ideas are fantastic, but might require too much time and investment from Cyan right now to actually be feasible as money-making endeavors. In that regard, the remix version soundtrack idea is good because it shifts a lot of the effort-load onto the fans, which might make it more feasible, but it's also constraining on who can take part in helping produce. Making the Uru soundtrack available via iTunes would probably take the least amount of effort for Cyan (assuming they still have the files from when they made the physical CD.) Creating an expanded version would take some more effort on the part of the music people, depending on what file quality they have; what works when played in a game may not be what's best for an OST. That said, I would still purchase the end results of either of those ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
you just make your own personal remix or cover of one of the songs from the Uru soundtrack

Funny you should mention that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Cyan is still selling the Uru (and Myst V) soundtrack(s).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:22 am 

Ahlisendar wrote:
Quote:
you just make your own personal remix or cover of one of the songs from the Uru soundtrack

Funny you should mention that...

Hmmm...What do you mean? I'm relatively new 'round here...

AdamJohnso wrote:
Cyan is still selling the Uru (and Myst V) soundtrack(s).

True... but not as downloads. Right now, it's $20 a piece., $35 for both... plus shipping--fair enough price, IF you make the concerted look and actually find them for sale on the Cyan website, rather than just a link to a POST (from 2011) about them.

(they are here, by the way:

http://www.cyanworlds.com/products/soundtracks.php

)

A direct download from iTunes or Amazon would be a lot easier for a prospective customer to find, and thus possibly bring in a lot more orders. These days, most people don't look further than Amazon or iTunes for music... someone looking on Amazon now for the Uru soundtrack, would find it out of print--- 1 used copy being sold for $89.99.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:06 am 
Obduction Backer

"But that requires time and money!" -- it ain't gonna happen. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:31 pm 

AdamJohnso wrote:
"But that requires time and money!"

I don't know that it requires so much of either...

Look at this:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/stall ... mpt=uo%3D4

"Stallion Cornell" is not a professional musician... he's a writer with a political blog and an odd sense of humor. If he can put for sale on iTunes, an album of silly songs he's written in his spare time-- just as a lark-- I can't imagine it's much of an expensive or time-consuming process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ohhh, Harvey lol ... I suppose Adam's statement was meant ironically ... Just look around and
back as far as you like, you'll always encounter those and similar statements as excuse for not
even trying to go beyond those perceived limitations etc. ... It works almost automatically, just
propose something, it's like pushing a button, as you did for example, and you get to hear those
same 'Mantras' or 'programmed responses' again and again lol ... :P

Thank you, HarveyMidnight and everyone, however, for the efforts to try to move and change something ...
They are great and lovely guys actually, those at Cyan I mean ... maybe ... Yeah ... God bless you all ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

HarveyMidnight wrote:
"Stallion Cornell" is not a professional musician... he's a writer with a political blog and an odd sense of humor. If he can put for sale on iTunes, an album of silly songs he's written in his spare time-- just as a lark-- I can't imagine it's much of an expensive or time-consuming process.

Right, but he's not Cyan, which is taking such a conservative approach right now that we might as well be moving backwards around here. Remember, be sure to send all Riven bugs to [email protected] ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:50 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
HarveyMidnight wrote:

Right, but he's not Cyan, which is taking such a conservative approach right now that we might as well be moving backwards around here. Remember, be sure to send all Riven bugs to [email protected] ;)

I still want that to be my email address.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:34 pm 

Most fundraising ideas that have been suggested in the past have been shot down either by Cyan Worlds' unresponsiveness, or fan complaints that 'this idea would taint the Myst franchise!' and sometimes a combination of both.

MO:ULa has been running for over 2 years now with no viable large-scale fundraising strategy implemented so far (at least, none big enough to result in Cavcon 5 and new official content in-game)

I think for now we'll stick with the donation model as it is the only one that has actually been approved and implemented.

But yeah, this ongoing lack of forward momentum is a bit frustrating and depressing.

My personal strategy for now is to contribute primarily by making fan ages. I think that's more in reach than new official content at this time.

Maybe if a few really amazing fan ages are created, that'll generate interest from the public and spur growth?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]