It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:14 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What do you want in an Fan age repository?
Poll ended at Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 am
A Nexus- A list of Names and places to select quickly 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
A Library- A bunch of physical books that I want to use! 73%  73%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 41
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:39 am 

Title says it all- what do you want in a fan age repository? Poll inspired in the Fan Age thread, ends in 5 days.

So here's the deal: you all get to help decide what we want to put forward for testing on Minkata, and then later here, for an Age repository in URU.

Nexus-- Would be either a brand new Nexus or a new page cluster in the existing nexus.

Library-- A physical age that is designed to hold the linking books to various ages.

Both-- A Nexus tab in the existing nexus that updates with new ages as you use them from the Library.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:46 am 

I'd just like to say that I think this poll is a bad idea, and here's why :
Whichever option wins, there will inevitably more people who didn't vote for the winning option, than those who did.
So whichever option "wins", it still won't have the majority support of those who voted.

There will never be a situation where everyone is happy and everyone agrees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Alien wrote:

That would be true of any solution. This is the least of the many evils since we have hard numbers to look at rather than just a lot of anecdotes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:16 am 

Alien wrote:
Whichever option wins, there will inevitably more people who didn't vote for the winning option, than those who did.
So whichever option "wins", it still won't have the majority support of those who voted.

That appears not quite to be true. When I saw the poll first, five people had voted: three for the library and one for each of the other two options. If the other two options had been combined into "those who didn't vote for the library-option", they still would not have outnumbered those who did.

It is the case, however, that a poll such as this won't be representative of the community as a whole. In August there were almost 4000 unique logins into the Cavern. There are 23 pages of people registered to the "Explorers" group on the forum (comes to something like 1000 players, a fair number of whom won't have logged into the Cavern in August, so the overlap is only partial). The issue is therefore more a question of expectations and interpretations: the numbers will be hard, yes, but they will only indicate the relative preferences of a vanishingly small group. As long as no one further down the line points to this as a mandate for anything, however, that seems to me to be unproblematic.

Last edited by Gahlen on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Okay, I voted.

Disclaimer: as long as whatever is built doesn't cast derogatory implications on open source content, I'll be happy with whatever is built :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:38 am 

AdamJohnso wrote:
Alien wrote:

That would be true of any solution. This is the least of the many evils since we have hard numbers to look at rather than just a lot of anecdotes.

Suggestion, then:

If one of the 3 options wins by greater than 50% of all votes submitted, we know it has the clear majority of support. However, IF the 'winner' still wins by less than 50%, i.e. "more people didn't vote for the winning option" then we eliminate the LEAST favored option, and have a new poll -- a "run off"--- selecting between just the top two.

No, not everyone will be happy.. BUT at least we'll have determined which of these 3 is a true majority preference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:06 am 

friar William of Ockham wrote:
"If you have two equally likely solutions to a problem, choose the simplest."

Sounds good to me

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:38 am 
HarveyMidnight wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:
Alien wrote:

Suggestion, then:

If one of the 3 options wins by greater than 50% of all votes submitted, we know it has the clear majority of support. However, IF the 'winner' still wins by less than 50%, i.e. "more people didn't vote for the winning option" then we eliminate the LEAST favored option, and have a new poll -- a "run off"--- selecting between just the top two.

No, not everyone will be happy.. BUT at least we'll have determined which of these 3 is a true majority preference.

If I recall correctly, someone somewhere (I think in some government) thought that this idea is better than the current democratic system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:00 am 

DLordofTime wrote:

If I recall correctly, someone somewhere (I think in some government) thought that this idea is better than the current democratic system.

Not sure what your point is... in the current democratic system, runoff elections are done all the time-- at least in my state. Usually in the party primaries... If there's more than two candidates, and the winner doesn't get 50 percent or more of the vote, then the top two will face off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:12 pm 

Alien wrote:

Still, pretty much everybody has vote - it's not the fault of those who do vote that others don't. Anyway, isn't it AGM this weekend? Might be wise to point people to this poll in order to get more votes.
Alien wrote:

Yeah, that pretty much sounds like democracy :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Calumon wrote:
Both-- A Nexus tab in the existing nexus that updates with new ages as you use them from the Library.

My choice.

Why?
Because there can be a
"new tab in the existing Nexus", OR a "new page cluster in the existing Nexus", OR a "brand new Nexus"
for all fan ages;
AND
a public "physical age that is designed to hold the [multiplayers puzzle ages](*) linking books"...

* if there are some.
Elseif, only "Nexus"... :arrow: My proposal in the 6th message of this page: openuru.org forums (spoilers).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:54 pm 

Alien wrote:
I'd just like to say that I think this poll is a bad idea, and here's why :

Oh no, I"m not pretending that there *IS* a situation where everyone will be happy. And as someone mentioned above, this *IS* a limited sample size. We're not going to get *everyone* to vote on this, and I don't expect that.

This poll is just to gain a general view of what the community, in general, wants to see from the developers.

Quote:

I think this is a good idea. If the poll results come out with a winner in *under* 50%, I'll make a run-off poll... And speaking of the AGM, I'm going to see about expanding the poll's run time to cover the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:45 pm 

'Both', while ideal for players, seems the most difficult to implement.

The fastest and easiest to set up - the path of least resistance initially - might be a library with linking books.

It does require more work on the 3d-art side - work I've agreed to do - but less scripting is involved than either of the other choices.

That also happens to be the most popular option, with just over 50% of the votes at present time.

Also, do keep in mind that a library with linking books, could later be extended with a (conventional) nexus or nexus category. My vote, personally, is to have the library completed by the end of 2012, while also retaining the option of extending it with a searchable, organizable nexus later on, as more books accumulate.

So my vote is option 2, so we can have something set up soon, with option 3 as a plan for later, when we have enough fan ages in MOULa that sorting them becomes an issue.

This idea, (2 then 3) should hopefully satisfy most everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:42 pm 

I think this poll is a good idea, it's better then arguing back and forth on the verius different points. At least this way when we decide on how to present fan created content we know we are supporting SOME majority of people.(although I think we need a good portion of people voting for this to be meaningful)

I don't think everyone will agree with everything we the fans produce as fan content because every fan has there own idea about what makes URU good(and in what ways it could be improved).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

I would say BOTH, but I still stand by thinking they should be in separate age files from each other. A library age and a link from there to a nexus age (and probably a link back to the library from the Nexus). Sure doing both takes longer than one, but if they are designed as separate places, then you can have one part of it up (say the library) even while the other part is in production (the nexus).

Until the more program demanding Nexus is done, people just need to go the "long way" through the library each time, not that it would take much longer than going through a hood to an Eder, we wouldn't have that much books to start with anyway.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next