It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:35 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

What do you want in an Fan age repository?
Poll ended at Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 am
A Nexus- A list of Names and places to select quickly 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
A Library- A bunch of physical books that I want to use! 73%  73%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 41
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

ChloeRhodes wrote:
This will create problems with Cyan's nexus however because ALL of the ages from the Library will then be included within Nexus under your private links tab. And they'll show up in your KI. Which means you'll be able to send invites to the fan ages, thus addeding more info to the AgesICanVisit folder of the vault as well.

And what’s bad about that? Isn’t that exactly what we want?

I know opinions on this are divided, but for my part this (personal instance that shows up in the KI and Nexus, people can be invited to, etc.) is how I would like the majority of fan ages to behave. All except those whose author has a specific storyline reason for wanting them instanced differently.

(Leaving aside the issue that we don’t really have a lot of options for having them instanced differently anyway, without extending linking rules, under the constraint that they must appear in the fan age library. Tre’bivdil as a hood sub-age makes perfect sense, but wouldn’t be possible if it was mandated to be in the library too. Hood child ages would be possible I guess, if I understand D'Lanor’s document correctly, but they’re a mess that I’d rather see phased out. Would public instances be possible?)

Am I guessing right that the issue you’re alluding to is that Cyan might not want fan ages to appear even in the private links section of the standard Nexus? If so, I would try to talk them out of that. It only happens after you’ve entered the age for the first time through the fan library/fan nexus and have hopefully taken note of the disclaimer there, and I would consider it a pretty bad break of continuity. If they really insist on it, I would consider it up to them to explicitly filter out these ages in their Nexus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:12 pm 

Regarding the earlier argument, let's try not to become hostile when discussing this.

Yes, it's true that I expressed a personal preference for (2) as a starting point, with (3) as an option to consider later on, and while (2) and (3) seem to be the most popular options in the poll right now, I never intended to prevent others from voicing opinions that differ from mine.

As for the question about expansion; I'll make a very large amount of space for books to begin with, enough for about a hundred books, so it is unlikely that we will need to expand it anytime soon, but if we do end up running low on space for more linking books to quality fan ages - which would be a great problem to have! - I will be in a position to expand it to new sections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:27 pm 

ChloeRhodes wrote:
]This will create problems with Cyan's nexus however because ALL of the ages from the Library will then be included within Nexus under your private links tab. And they'll show up in your KI. Which means you'll be able to send invites to the fan ages, thus addeding more info to the AgesICanVisit folder of the vault as well.

Speaking for myself here, as I have no idea what the future holds once we get to the testing stage, I'd think that if we programmed the fan ages to appear in their *own* tab in *any* Nexus (be it Cyan's or a New one), they won't appear under Private Links in Cyan's Nexus, as they'll have their own section and be programmed to go to that section only. And if they *do* appear in Private Links tab, it'll be figured out how to work around in testing on Minkata Shard.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4