It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:50 am

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What do you want in an Fan age repository?
Poll ended at Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 am
A Nexus- A list of Names and places to select quickly 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
A Library- A bunch of physical books that I want to use! 73%  73%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 41
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:55 pm
Posts: 182
Location: Lost in the world of Myst
I think their should be both here's why. I think we can all agree that some of the ages people have made are not top quality (most of them are either experiments or for tests) because of this i don't think we should expect cyan to filter through all of the ages in order to give us the "top quality" ones. My solution: A rating system in the nexus. People can "up-vote" or "down-vote" an age in order to naturally filter through the ages. Now the library would contain the ages that are the best. This could be update every month or week or day. Because of this it allows the anti-nexus people to have a library containing all the ages the people have deemed top quality and the pro-nexus people would have a nexus containing all the ages that people have created.

_________________
Image
My Cartoons

James 1:19
"... Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:31 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Sweden
I want whatever works for those that wiould do the voluntary work and is negotiable with Cyan.
And that is all I ever want.

_________________
--- I know what I like and I like what I know ---


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Land of Confusion
Matthornb would it be possible to add a few locked doors to the library for possible expansion?

_________________
When You have eliminated all other possibilities What ever is left must be the solution

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:02 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 1:00 am
Posts: 538
I was hesitant to vote because I felt that as someone who knows squat about coding, building and implementing something of this scale (or any scale!) I was too uninformed to have a valid opinion one way or the other. But now that Matthornb has expressed his preference for option 2, that will be my vote as well. I agree with Rudolfson and others who think we should place practicality above personal preference. Whatever is easiest to bring to fruition among these options is fine by me. The fact that things have progressed even this far is kind of thrilling.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:42 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:14 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
sideshow118 wrote:
I was hesitant to vote because I felt that as someone who knows squat about coding, building and implementing something of this scale (or any scale!) I was too uninformed to have a valid opinion one way or the other.

It's a shame that some of the posters in the Fan Content thread have made people like you feel this way. You have as much right to express your opinion here as anyone else whether those people want to hear it or not. Don't let them shout you down! :evil:

_________________
Explorers Memorial * In Memoriam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:06 pm 
sideshow118 wrote:
I was hesitant to vote because I felt that as someone who knows squat about coding, building and implementing something of this scale (or any scale!) I was too uninformed to have a valid opinion one way or the other. But now that Matthornb has expressed his preference for option 2, that will be my vote as well. I agree with Rudolfson and others who think we should place practicality above personal preference. Whatever is easiest to bring to fruition among these options is fine by me. The fact that things have progressed even this far is kind of thrilling.


You do know that the voting's anonymous?


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:38 pm
Posts: 1673
Karkadann wrote:
Matthornb would it be possible to add a few locked doors to the library for possible expansion?


If you look back at the Sevkor concept art posts, doors are mentioned, along with copy-able tunnels for future expansion. :)

EDIT: Also, Even if the "Both" somehow made a miraculous recovery, at this point in the polling, let me just remind everyone of what I said in the Fan Age thread, that "the nexus functions do *NOT* need to be finished at the same time as the Library" and "can be added in once we've gotten the Library finished."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:20 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:15 am
Posts: 587
Tai'lahr wrote:
sideshow118 wrote:
I was hesitant to vote because I felt that as someone who knows squat about coding, building and implementing something of this scale (or any scale!) I was too uninformed to have a valid opinion one way or the other.

It's a shame that some of the posters in the Fan Content thread have made people like you feel this way. You have as much right to express your opinion here as anyone else whether those people want to hear it or not. Don't let them shout you down! :evil:

Sideshow118 did not indicate that her/his feelings were in any way influenced by any of "the posters in the Fan Content thread".

Sideshow 118 made exactly one posting to the Fan Content thread, on page 7: a very enthusiastic and encouraging message that received no negative response whatsoever.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:44 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:29 am
Posts: 520
Calumon wrote:
EDIT: Also, Even if the "Both" somehow made a miraculous recovery, at this point in the polling, let me just remind everyone of what I said in the Fan Age thread, that "the nexus functions do *NOT* need to be finished at the same time as the Library" and "can be added in once we've gotten the Library finished."


Personally, I think if the Library is going to have a Nexus like functionality it should be developed and released as the same time as the library. I'll explain why, this might get technical so bare with me:

In Plasma, there's six different types of linking rules. BasicLink. OriginalBook OwnedBook. VisitBook. SubAgeBook and ChildAgeBook. Each of these are handled slightly differently. And each of these are handled by the Server differently. For a run down I'd suggest checking out Instancing explained through Linking Rules before reading further.

So why is it necessary to have a Nexus style system in place in the library prior to release, well because of how things are handled by the vault. Currently, the only ages this will really affect are ages you can visit (IE someone elses ages) and your own ages. Unless we create a new instance of an age each time we use it, or make the books subagebooks of the library, all the books that are placed in the library will have to be added to the AgesICanOwn folder in the vault. Or else each time you visit the age, it will be reset to it's original state. This will create problems with Cyan's nexus however because ALL of the ages from the Library will then be included within Nexus under your private links tab. And they'll show up in your KI. Which means you'll be able to send invites to the fan ages, thus addeding more info to the AgesICanVisit folder of the vault as well.

However I see two ways of solving this: Way 1, we create a new style of linking rule in plasma just for fan ages, and thus also a new folder within the vault for these ages. OriginalFanBook perhaps and FanBooksIOwn. Thus Cyan's nexus won't read the fan ages from these folders, however our library will.

OR. We ask Cyan how they wish to deal with the ages appearing in their Nexus, cause like it or not, unless you use the SubAgeBook rule or the BasicLink rule, these ages will appear within their Nexus and in the KI, and once they do they can then be used as visitable ages by others.

_________________
MOULAgain KI: 024104

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:27 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:14 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:
sideshow118 wrote:
I was hesitant to vote because I felt that as someone who knows squat about coding, building and implementing something of this scale (or any scale!) I was too uninformed to have a valid opinion one way or the other.

It's a shame that some of the posters in the Fan Content thread have made people like you feel this way. You have as much right to express your opinion here as anyone else whether those people want to hear it or not. Don't let them shout you down! :evil:

Sideshow118 did not indicate that her/his feelings were in any way influenced by any of "the posters in the Fan Content thread".

Sideshow 118 made exactly one posting to the Fan Content thread, on page 7: a very enthusiastic and encouraging message that received no negative response whatsoever.

Whether he was personally attacked or not is irrelevant; his comment reflects an idea some of the devs attempted to instill in everyone - that if you don't possess their talents, your opinion is invalid. My response was not just to Sideshow, but aimed at everyone who may have taken their posts to heart.

_________________
Explorers Memorial * In Memoriam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:39 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:15 am
Posts: 587
Tai'lahr wrote:
Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:
sideshow118 wrote:
I was hesitant to vote because I felt that as someone who knows squat about coding, building and implementing something of this scale (or any scale!) I was too uninformed to have a valid opinion one way or the other.

It's a shame that some of the posters in the Fan Content thread have made people like you feel this way. You have as much right to express your opinion here as anyone else whether those people want to hear it or not. Don't let them shout you down! :evil:

Sideshow118 did not indicate that her/his feelings were in any way influenced by any of "the posters in the Fan Content thread".

Sideshow 118 made exactly one posting to the Fan Content thread, on page 7: a very enthusiastic and encouraging message that received no negative response whatsoever.

Whether he was personally attacked or not is irrelevant; his comment reflects an idea some of the devs attempted to instill in everyone - that if you don't possess their talents, your opinion is invalid. My response was not just to Sideshow, but aimed at everyone who may have taken their posts to heart.

When you claim Sideshow's reticence to post was directly caused by commentary in the "Fan Content" thread - exactly the point of your initial comment - then by definition it cannot be irrelevant.
And unless you can cite the posts to which you refer, I'd say you're just stirring the pot here, to the point of going off-topic.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 pm 
Try re-reading Tai'lahr's posts with the 'you's as plural.


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:01 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:14 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
When you claim Sideshow's reticence to post was directly caused by commentary in the "Fan Content" thread - exactly the point of your initial comment - then by definition it cannot be irrelevant.
And unless you can cite the posts to which you refer, I'd say you're just stirring the pot here, to the point of going off-topic.

I did not make that claim, nor even make that assumption. I merely saw the post as an opportunity to speak to people who may have felt that way. I said, "It's a shame that some of the posters in the Fan Content thread have made people like you feel this way." I simply wanted to offer a show of support for anyone who was too intimidated to post. Apparently that bothered you enough to begin a discussion that is completely off topic. So, who's stirring the pot?

_________________
Explorers Memorial * In Memoriam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:22 pm
Posts: 560
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Emor, Tai, DLT, et al...

Can we *please* focus on the end goal on this one, and not get bogged down by the semantics of language? I personally do not wish to see this thread locked needlessly.

This is one of those times we need productive progress, not provocation.

_________________
KI# 00071084 | "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander
Image
(Note: Any comments or opinions, taken whole or in part, are mine and do not reflect the stance of GoMe.)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:15 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:15 am
Posts: 587
Tai'lahr wrote:
Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
When you claim Sideshow's reticence to post was directly caused by commentary in the "Fan Content" thread - exactly the point of your initial comment - then by definition it cannot be irrelevant......

I did not make that claim, nor even make that assumption. ... I said, "It's a shame that some of the posters in the Fan Content thread have made people like you feel this way." ... Apparently that bothered you enough to begin a discussion that is completely off topic. So, who's stirring the pot?
Yes, it does bother me when someone tries to stir up emotions by trying to establish an assumed connection between an explorer's reticence to post and some unspecified commentary in another thread.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], SEMrush [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: