It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What do you want in an Fan age repository?
Poll ended at Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 am
A Nexus- A list of Names and places to select quickly 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
A Library- A bunch of physical books that I want to use! 73%  73%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 41
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Whether he was personally attacked or not is irrelevant; his comment reflects an idea some of the devs attempted to instill in everyone - that if you don't possess their talents, your opinion is invalid. My response was not just to Sideshow, but aimed at everyone who may have taken their posts to heart.

If this is true, then it brings to light that some people in this community completely misunderstood everything the devs and builders have said. The devs and builders are viewing this through their knowledge of the very real technical, legal and resource limitations of what can be done. These limitations are not opinions, they are facts that we all have to live with. Since the general community does not have this knowledge, they do need to discuss any ideas they have with the devs and builders before assuming that something can be done.

Since the three options in the poll were chosen by the devs and builders themselves, it seems safe to assume that all options are viable and can be done.

Really, it's just common sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:41 pm 

Nev'yn wrote:
Emor, Tai, DLT, et al...

Can we *please* focus on the end goal on this one, and not get bogged down by the semantics of language? I personally do not wish to see this thread locked needlessly.

This is one of those times we need productive progress, not provocation.

Exactly. This thread was made for the *polling option only*, which would show productive progress for this project. Maybe I should have said that in the opening post?

Ruth wrote:
Since the three options in the poll were chosen by the devs and builders themselves, it seems safe to assume that all options are viable and can be done.

The three options are two extremes and a middle ground. The poll was meant to show where the community's interests lied so that way we weren't building something nobody wanted to use, at least, that was the intent I picked up when a poll was requested. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:48 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I am glad to see Nev'yn wasn't ignored.

Ruth, your post sends the message that it is the responsibility of others to understand you rather than your responsibility to help others understand. It also says that those who don't understand the issue do not have common sense. It might help to shift the focus so that you assume the responsibility and accountability for yourself. That would be less threatening and more welcoming as a teacher and representative. That goes for anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
My apologies, Calumon. It wasn't my intention to derail your thread and I'm terribly sorry that happened. I simply wanted to make sure no one was too intimidated to vote so that you would get a good number of votes from a cross section of the community. And, thank you for your post, JWPlatt. Well said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:30 pm 
I tried to help Emor see what Tai'lahr meant. I certainly understood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:50 pm 

"We may not arrive at our port within a calculable period, but we would preserve the true course."
-Henry David Thoreau, "Walden"

Thank you everyone, in bringing this discussion "back on track", and in helping us to chart a path towards the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
I am glad to see Nev'yn wasn't ignored.

Ruth, your post sends the message that it is the responsibility of others to understand you rather than your responsibility to help others understand. It also says that those who don't understand the issue do not have common sense. It might help to shift the focus so that you assume the responsibility and accountability for yourself. That would be less threatening and more welcoming as a teacher and representative. That goes for anyone.

Thank you. As I'm unaware of being either a teacher or a representative of anything or anyone other than myself, I will refrain from further comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:10 am 

Hey, we are all just kumquats here....

Vote, let folk express themselves without censure of their opinion. If you want to add your comments to your idea, add them, it is just icing on the cake. Everyone should be able to express themselves freely without fear of someone 'dissing' them. It is merely a grouping of ideas and opinions expressed within the poll. No offense taken, all ideas/views welcomed. Discussion can come later in other threads.

Makes me sad some would feel fearful of expressing opinions for fear of those who love to tear everyone else's ideas apart. The validation to that is sadly we do have an element that just loves to do that... Time to stop bad behaviors and just let folk express themselves and go from there.

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:10 am 

Ruth wrote:
I will refrain from further comments.

I do hope you are not allowing yourself to be bullied away by the ones who seem to be the most vehemently against it. I for one respect your arguments, don't step down because of what I perceive as blatant bullying.

On topic: so, folks have expressed themselves, the poll is going to be over with in 4 days, the votes are being tallied. Is it clear who is going to do what from here? Is there more to be decided on than whether the place is going to feature books, lists or both? For example, what type of doghouse/fan Nexus/extended Cyan Nexus/shaft Nexus can we expect, or is it unanimously decided that matthornb and his design is going to be "it"?
Or am I way too early to ask these questions, of so, what steps are going to be decided on in the meantime? Is this the right place for discussions like these, or should it be taken to the OU or GoW forums?

In other words, what's next?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Dudemom, N'evyn, DLordofTime, JWPlatt, Calumon -

My last post here on the topic of Sideshow188's message, in an effort to clarify what appears to be continued misunderstanding.

Of course we all hate to see bullying of any kind occurring.
Of course no one wants to see people intimidated from posting their opinions.
Of course we all want "to offer a show of support for anyone who was too intimidated to post".

But that's not what was done here.
Sideshow118 made a simple and very kind comment, prefaced by the remark "I was hesitant to vote because I felt that as someone who knows squat about coding, building and implementing something of this scale (or any scale!) I was too uninformed to have a valid opinion one way or the other."

Sideshow never indicated that this reticence was caused by anything in these forums. However, rather than simply encouraging Sideshow, anger and blame was promptly heaped on the shoulders of unnamed "posters in the Fan Content thread (who) have made people like you feel this way".

I'd love to have a discussion regarding the specific - but uncited - posts in which Tai'lahr claims "some of the devs attempted to instill in everyone - (the idea) that if you don't possess their talents, your opinion is invalid"...but in a separate thread.
Intimidation and censorship should be identified and countered...but as Paradise says above, it can work both ways.

Done...thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes done ..

Several posts here were reported because they are Off Topic.
Yes ... they are Off Topic, but we do not like to remove or split them and we hope they also can be constructive.
But for now ... please all "back on track".

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:27 am 

[offtopic]Wow.....just wow. I wonder if it was a good idea to keep my yap shut. I voted the day after the poll started, and decide to comment now. :P [/offtopic]

It's seems that my vote is the prevailing one; library. I hardly use the Nexus for anything beyond moving between the city and hood links, and of course it allows for additional creativity and authenticity in making the covers for the linking books.

[EDIT] By contrast a Nexus application to the fan ages is little more than, depending on how one approaches this, the adding of a page and the use of which is the same as any other Nexus link. I actually find the Nexus a bit depressing; an enclosed room within (my interpretation) a gigantic machine conveying links...has someone every been trapped inside the Nexus? :? Seems spooky even. If one plans to create a new fan age Nexus I'd prefer it to be nothing like the Nexus we have, something pleasant and less dank. But that's me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:55 pm 

Has any one considered the complexities of the nexus compared to adding a few linking books, traditionally the more complex something is the more their is to go wrong.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:34 pm 
I thought Cyan's conditions prevented us from saying, 'Let's use Cyan's Nexus!'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:45 pm 

DLordofTime wrote:
I thought Cyan's conditions prevented us from saying, 'Let's use Cyan's Nexus!'

The Nexus Option isn't specifically *That*, as I wrote earlier it could be "A new nexus, or modification of the existing one." I'll need to re-read the post by Chogon, but I don't believe that the actual conditions prevent us from adding a new cluster to the existing nexus, just that cyan would *prefer* a separate one.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next