It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:53 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Continued Poll: Which do you Prefer for fan ages?
Poll ended at Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:53 pm
A Library Alone- Books to use! 35%  35%  [ 16 ]
A Library with Nexus cataloging- two separate locations 65%  65%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 46
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:53 pm 

Winner of the last Poll at 46%: Library. Since it's less than 50% however, I agreed to run a second poll to let the winner and the runner up hash it out.

EDIT: TO clarify, here's what I'm asking. We're trying to decide *WHAT* kind of Library Repository we should make. A single library alone, or a Library *WITH* a Nexus for quick use?

A Library Alone- Lots of Books to use!

A Library with Nexus cataloging- two separate locations.

Poll ends in 7 days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:17 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Calumon wrote:
A Library with Nexus cataloging- two separate locations.

Right. Two separate locations. It needed some clarification here because when you say a Library "with" a Nexus, it sounds like there's a Nexus within the Library itself as a second Nexus. But even a second Nexus has been all but ruled out in the main discussion. So that leaves the Nexus as referring to *the* existing Nexus in this poll.

For my views on this, please see the downloadable chatlog (links in the first paragraph) in the GoMe AGM news:
http://www.guildofmessengers.com/en/con ... tober-2012

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I voted for "A Library with Nexus cataloging- " hoping it means what I think it means: The creation of a new place where books to all the Explorer created ages will be placed and when I use one, a link to that age is added to my nexus under a tab called Explorer Ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:04 pm 
How sure are we that Cyan will add a new tab in their Nexus, if we do ask them to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:17 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

We are sure they won't. We are sure it's up to the fans to do fan content.

DLT, this might help: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 884#389884 :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:39 am 
How sure are you they'll do that? You know how protective they are of their stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:51 am 
Obduction Backer

DLordofTime wrote:
How sure are you they'll do that? You know how protective they are of their stuff.

We don't know for sure. What we can guess is that the more complete, polished and functional things are when the OS people hand it to them for review, the easier it is for them to integrate, the better the odds. It is worth trying and getting a no, than not trying at all :)

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:36 am 

Eleri wrote:
DLordofTime wrote:

We don't know for sure. What we can guess is that the more complete, polished and functional things are when the OS people hand it to them for review, the easier it is for them to integrate, the better the odds. It is worth trying and getting a no, than not trying at all :)

Right. There's really only one way to find out. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:58 am 

I voted for "A Library Alone- Books to use!"
I have made a linking book with the help of the Python files provided by GoW and its not that difficult, making more then one linking book couldn't be that much more difficult however a nexus similar to the one in MOULa seems to be rather complex
then their is the question of who will Write the code for it or rewrite the existing code

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:03 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

DLordofTime wrote:

Yes, I have some good experience. Things are looking up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
I voted for "A Library with Nexus cataloging," which is pretty much how it's done now. Every time you discover a new Age, it shows up under a special tab in the Nexus already. It shouldn't be much of a leap to add another tab.

Somewhere along the line, there's going to be a debate about whether Fan Ages should be instanced (like Yeesha's Journey), public (like Kirel) or some kind of combination (like the Hoods). I hope we can have all three, depending on what the Writer wants.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:50 pm 
Well, based on what I remember Rawa being quoted to have said about the fan content, I shall expect a 'no' from Cyan about the Nexus. I reckon the only way they'll say yes is if someone creates the addition to the Nexus without altering the current code at all, and puts in absolutely everything required of the Nexus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:33 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

DLordofTime wrote:
Well, based on what I remember Rawa being quoted to have said about the fan content, I shall expect a 'no' from Cyan about the Nexus. I reckon the only way they'll say yes is if someone creates the addition to the Nexus without altering the current code at all, and puts in absolutely everything required of the Nexus.

No need to despair. Cyan, including RAWA, has accepted my revised proposal which summarizes community reaction in the Fan Content thread and includes changes to the existing Nexus by fans using the source 3ds max models and code to add an "Explorer Ages" tab, an easel with a caveat message, and a seal designed and selected by fans. I talked at length about my summary points at this month's AGM. All we at OpenUru.org need to do is get the license done and approved so you can work on the Nexus and get it installed into MOULa.

The Builder resistance to the original proposal was successful and resulted in what I believe is a better plan. Kudos to them for standing up to be true to their values for positive change instead of accepting the first thing that came along. Cyan has been supportive and positive throughout the process in the evolution of ideas and has, in fact, never said no. With fan content, it is only us who say no to ourselves.

Reference links:
http://www.guildofmessengers.com/en/con ... tober-2012 (GoMe AGM Summary)
http://www.guildofmessengers.com/sites/ ... 12_raw.txt (Raw Chat Log)
http://www.guildofmessengers.com/sites/ ... ansed.html (Cleansed Chatlog)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:32 pm 
Well then, to the builders I say, save the Nexus until the library's done. That way, we can have something ready for Cyan sooner rather than later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:50 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

There are enough interested Builders available to do both concurrently. Your serialized method would appear to save no time whether it's A before B or B before A. You can't get to the Explorer Library - to fill your new Explorer Ages tab... in the revised Nexus... until you touch a book... in the Explorer Library - until the Nexus is done. They should come as a pair.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next