It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:09 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:31 pm 

Good evening

A little background info
A few years ago I got a login id for MOULa however I was not able to connect because of the size of the file that you need to download. I connect to the internet via 3G. In South Africa we do not have unlimited data downloads. Up until last year I only had 2.5GB normal and 2.5GB nightowl with which I had to update two versxions of Windows, five versions of Linux and anti virus so i could not afford the download.

The situation now
In December last year my ISP increased my cap to 10GB normal and 10GB nightowl which allowed me to finally download the file and connect to MOULa. needless to say I was ecstatic. I battled for a week in Windows 7 to download the patch update via urulauncher.exe (I have a post on this). I finally connected and had a great time visiting all the old familiar places that I was used to in the offline version.

On my first outing I met a nice fellow player called Malim. He was very helpful. I had a rather frustrating time trying to workout how to write messages and use the Ki. I am starting to figure it out.

The main thing that has really impressed me was that the connection uses hardly any cap. I the first thing I did was to finally go through Kadish's Gallery doors to the canyon. It frustrated me no end that I could not do it in the D'ni expansion pack.

I have a few disappointments. I was rather disappointed that there were no new areas in Ae'gura that I could explore. I am rather frustrated with the fact that I cannot finish Ahnonay without help which is very frustrating. This is a big issue for me because when I connect to MOULa in the evenings here in South Africa there is usually hardly anyone around. I have been to the Greeters hood a number of times and found it empty. I have found folks in the city who where having a chat, so I did not want to interrupt them or join the chat because that would be rude. I did a search on the net and found that I cannot complete it on my own. So I am at a loss at to what to do. I do not know what is the best time to connect. I have noticed differences between MOULa and UBM and the expansion packs. :D

Overall my experience is a good one. I have met s few interesting people and seen some people in odd places. In one of my visits to the city I saw a person sitting in mid air like Yoda the Jedi master. I have been wondering ho the player managed that.

Regards
Philip

MOULa KI#645770
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Very glad you were able to make it to the cavern at last, Philip! And also very glad that your experience, for the most part, is positive.

Needing help with Ahnonay can be troublsome, yes. However, I think you'll find that no one will be offended if you politely interrupt and ask for some assistance! We've all been there ourselves. I dont personally make it to the cavern often just because the busyness of my life just gets in the way. Perhaps someday we'll bump into o e another!

MOULa 2.0 KI - 01544785

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

I had a similar experience to you when I first joined and had to approach someone and ask for help. But you will find that almost anyone you meet in the city, on the plaza or talking to others in a group, will have been through the same experience too, and they will understand you asking for help. You should find someone to help fairly easily.

One tip that may help: turn autoshout on (type /autoshout on on your KI). That will make your chat visible for a much wider area, and you may receive a reply from someone you can't see.

Your helper should know what needs to be done, if you don't: have you worked out what you need them to do for you? You will need to add them to your buddy list on your KI, so look that up if you don't already know it.

Checking the international timezone map, I see that SA is UTC+2, so that makes you 1 hour ahead of the UK and the same time as France and Germany. There should be a few european explorers around at the times you can log in. Americans with jobs will join 5 - 8 hours later. Weekends will give better overlap.

If you're having a lot of difficulty, arrange a meeting with someone on the forum here :) If I get into the cavern in the next few days (after 8pm UK time) I'll look out for you.

Did you see the person sitting in mid air close to the big rock tower on the plaza (some call it the tree, others the stalagmite) ? There is a way to get up there, loosely known as skydiving, using the invisible features of the graphics substructure. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:40 pm 

Hi Rhee

Yes it would be nice to bump into one another one day. I( have seen quite a few folks with some very interesting head gear. The other evening I linked into the music hood right in the middle of their discussion. I got out of their way rather quickly. I see you have yr location under yr name. I have been battling to add mine. When I click on the fields nothing happens. How do you do it.

What is the weather like in Canada at the moment? A colleague of mine is attending a conference in vancouver next month. I know it is a fair way from you. He was told to bring winter clothes. Well our winter clothes are not exactly the same as ours. Me personally I start getting cold at 15 degrees centigrade.

Regards
Philip

MOULa KI#645770
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:49 pm 

Hi AlanD :D

In Ahnonay I know what I need to do. I have touched the journey cloth in the control room. From what I have found on the net I need someone to link into water Ahnonay while I am sitting in the control room to use the linking book on the pedestal to activate the lever next to the door in the control room.

The Yoda guy was about a third of the way between the map and the stalactite. There was also a guy standing on the map board. In the offline game I tried walking up the ropes but I kept falling off. I also wondered how he got up there. MOULa seems to have lots of hidden things to discover. I am enjoying it so far, although I am not finding Minkata much fun.

Regards
Philip

MOULa KI#645770
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

But Minkata is fun :D

I realise I'm in a minority here, but Minkata is mostly a mapping/geometry problem, the sort of thing I love.

Uru was designed, in part, to encourage the users behind each avatar to talk and work together, hence the need for a group to get together to solve some of the puzzles. It really is a lot of fun that way.

Standing on the map board is one of the easier "skydiving" tricks, and as you've guessed involves walking up the guyrope behind it. Careful alignment is needed so as not to fall off the rope :)

Ahnonay is also a geometry problem, in part. A group of two or three can work out what's happening in Ahnonay a lot quicker - to solve it alone is hard work and needs a lot of linking back and forth.

Add your location in the "User Control Panel" - see the top of this page.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:16 pm 

Welcome to the Cavern, Philip!

Do not be shy about saying "Hello" (or "Shorah," in D'ni) when you see explorers chatting. Most will include you in the conversation.

In addition, most explorers are happy to help if you ask for it.

I hope to see you soon!
Susa'n

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)
CT Hostess Susa'n KI#9122427 (member Cavern Tour's Hood)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Susa'n wrote:
Welcome to the Cavern, Philip!

Do not be shy about saying "Hello" (or "Shorah," in D'ni) when you see explorers chatting. Most will include you in the conversation.

In addition, most explorers are happy to help if you ask for it.

I hope to see you soon!
Susa'n

Minor language correction. Shorah in D'ni has multiple meanings. Peace, Hello and Goodbye.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

The weather in my part of Canada is FINALLY starting to seem springlike. Still below freezing by a few degrees each night but the days are warming up a bit, expecting 9 degrees Celsius tomorrow! Vancouver is indeed a long distance from me, at least two days of driving all day long! I would expect it is somewhat milder there than here, being on the coast. I would recommend that your friend brings a sweater or two as well as a jacket that can block a bit of wind!

As for adding your location, you do that through your user profile. The easiest way to access it is by clicking on your message box link (next to the Logout link at the top of yhe page). Then click Profile on the left hand side of the page, and then enter any information you wish to share, then be sure to click Submit or nothing will be saved!

Anyway, I hope you manage to make some new connections and get the assistance you need for Ahnonay. And no doubt folks will be happy to show you how they can levitate so effortlessly! All you have to do is ask.

MOULa 2.0 KI - 01544785

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:45 pm 

Hi AlanD

I have managed to find three of the caves. My problem is getting back to the start circle in night Mintaka. Geometry was my weakest subject. Finding the caves was more luck than anything else. I wandered around like a pigeon.

Regards
Philip
:)

MOULa KI#645770
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:54 pm 

Hi AlanD

Sorry I forgot to add my comment on Ahnonay. I know there is plenty of linking. I am trying to work out how to move the fourth sphere in place on my own. Without the switch in the tower as in PotS it is extremely difficult. I have selected the journey cloth in Water Ahnonay's maintenance bay. If I go to the cathedral from Water and then to the maintenance bay via the journey cloth I wind up in Crystal Ahnonay's maintenance bay. I have been going around in circles. It is making me dizzy. :( :(

Regards
Philip

MOULa KI#645770
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah philipgr,

Regarding Minkata, it's possible to find all the kivas and yellow flag purely by alignment with Age objects. I spent a great deal of time figuring this out because I found Yeesha's navigation puzzles much too frustrating. I'd reasoned that this Age was originally Written as a Guild of Cartographers teaching Age, so there would be an inherent means to navigate (and I discovered I was correct about this :))

If you want to play with this on your own, please go right ahead. Or if you want to use my annotated map (original maps by tachzusamm and belford), then here it is:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Serious spoiler ahead!!

[Reveal] Spoiler: Explanation
The red lines show alignments that can be done visually when in the Age; the blue lines show alignments that exist but that cannot be done visually.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:39 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

philipgr wrote:
I am trying to work out how to move the fourth sphere in place on my own. Without the switch in the tower as in PotS it is extremely difficult.
Maybe that tells you something then ;). Ahnonay was always intended to be part of the original Uru Live and that puzzle is now how it was originally planned to be: In PoTS, the puzzle was adapted for reasons you're now discovering.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia, I know we've talked about those alignments before, but that's the first time I've seen them together on one map. That's a classic piece of cartographic research, and the method of aligning objects without any reference to a compass is a very ancient navigation technique, one I first came across in Alfred Watkin's "The Old Straight Track". Which is about ley lines, but not geomancy, he regards them as long-distance tracks marked by visual alignment of successive landscape features, used by pre-literate man. John Michell took Watkin's trackways and mixed in a large dollop of woo.

Are you sure you don't want to revive the guild of cartographers? :D

I remember Minkata as being for the Guild of Surveyors, and also wondering why, as it seems much more suited to cartographers, as you say.

Philip, you've gone as far as you can in Ahnonay without some help.

I'm quite convinced that the age was meant to be played by a group (or at least two people) from the start, not by one person struggling until they can get no further. More people help with the clearance tasks, and being able to look at what is happening from two or more locations when you make the big changes take place makes it much easier to work out how the whole thing hangs together, and makes the solution easier to work out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:29 pm 

I'm looking at the BIG Spoiler of Ainia and... I... I'm not too sure what big giveaway it is :?

It seems that flags are aligned with kivas but getting lost to find a flag to be able to find a kiva is not a solution in my opinion.

I'll give you a spoiler myself:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Just like vessels on the seas at NIGHT, they use LIGHThouses to spot their destinations (aka KIVAS)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next