It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Continuing the Story
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
We've been doing our own story in a round robin kinda sorta timey-wimey spacey-wacey plotty-lotty way over in the old Ubisoft boards. The Age and Country Hotel has been going on for I'm not sure how many years.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:32 am 

Nicho wrote:
Sorry Carl, I probably should have been more specific in my OP. But, you read my mind! I was thinking along the same lines as you, fan stories to supplement what Cyan has already provided. And yes, some kind of Cyan recognition would be great. It might create enough “legitimacy” to draw more players into the stories.

korovev wrote:
Adrael has a backstory about an association parallel to the DRC, the D’ni Research Association, to avoid using Cyan-made characters. Perhaps the authors could be interested in writing / staging an episode in MOULa, or agree to let others use the concept?

Ah korovev, now we’re really talking! Cherry-picking some of the best concepts from previous fan-story attempts would make brainstorming new ideas a lot easier. And of course, the experience of people who have done this kind of thing before makes the undertaking seem a little less intimidating.

Thank you Nicho and Korovev for citing Adrael and its story and backstory.
You’re right about one thing: the D’ni Research Association is a convenient way to stay away from Cyan characters and to open up as many worlds as you like. However, I always follow a simple rule: to keep the backstory at the possible minimum. If you read Adrael documents, you find what is needed to provide a believable background to characters, and nothing more. To say it otherwise, I started from the Tree and the Spirit, then added Irena, then her sister, then Toscanini, Demetra, Aral Dhal and the DRA organization. It looks as backward engineering, but is the same technique I use for my job (comics). I can’t say this is an universal method, but I always start with characters and follow the first and only rule of storytelling: “Things are never what they seem”, as Jim Thompson once said.

About brainstorming, it’s a free and fun activity and fun is the most important thing here, I think. Unbelievable as it seems, after so long a silence, Adrael is still being worked on, so I have just one simple request. If your brainstorming brings to an actual age-build, and the DRA is in some way involved, please let me know before starting work. I’m not reading daily this forum, but I’ll try to follow this thread, and add some contribution. In any case the best way to contact me is through adrael.com.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

I would also like to point out an old thread I read several times of what we can do by RAWA guidelines here a link listing what is possible and what not possible if you do continue the story.

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... guidelines

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:41 pm 

zeke3651 wrote:
I would also like to point out an old thread I read several times of what we can do by RAWA guidelines here a link listing what is possible and what not possible if you do continue the story.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=15890&hilit=story+guidelines

Thanks zeke, that information, along with the old Chat Logs (http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4520) would be something for a perspective storyteller to pour over :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2