It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tweek wrote:
Point being, not everything needs an IC spin (and for some reason people love to IC bugs in the most absurd fashion).

This. Please above all This.

I understand the need for the IC people to stay IC. But there comes a time when we need to recognize that not everything NEEDS to be IC. This wasn't a staged event, this wasn't a planned thing like the Great Scream etc. This was a database failure. We don't need to project this IC, and we shouldn't. To take this to the absolute extreme, imagine that every time the server goes down we need to come up with some IC event to explain why we couldn't get into the cavern. That is the absurdity of taking a bug/failure in the system and making a IC explanation around it.

If you ask me, I think when the server restarts we should just get in, get our KIs, resolve everything like we normally would, and just move on and pretend IC, that nothing happened. If you want, on a personal level, to explain why your KI pics or Marker quests or what have you are not there, then your ki was damaged and you required a new one. I don't see the need to have the DRC step in, the group thats IC not in charge anymore anyway, and declare anything, or make any kind of statement. The story hasn't progressed anymore since GT other than the DRC saying that they're ok with Explorers remaining in the cavern, etc. I don't see the need to have them come out and explain every "bug" with an IC explanation. Thats how we got stuff like "People in Bahro suits" when we all know that a bahro's knees bend backwards.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Kero wrote:
Chogon wrote:
Internally, I have been calling it MOULaaa (as in MOUL again and again). But that is just my working title.

Since this is but one more "hiccup" in the ongoing saga that is URU why not MOULaHa (as in MOUL again 'Hic' again)? :wink: :lol:

I dunno. It makes it sound like an evil laugh: MOULahahahahahaha...

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:48 am 

So every 'vault wipe' and the name changes? I mean a name change makes sense for the gap between MOUL and MOULa(2010 - 2014) but do we realy need anouther name change? If so why not call it MOUL-14 and MOULa(2010-2014) will be known as just 'MOULa'. (no mater the name chosen I will clefiy at Heritage Nights).

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, with the announcement that more player created content is going to make its way onto the servers, I'm fond of going back to the idea of calling it OSMO- Open Source Myst Online. :)

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:32 pm 

TOOO wrote:
Kero wrote:
Chogon wrote:
Internally, I have been calling it MOULaaa (as in MOUL again and again). But that is just my working title.

Since this is but one more "hiccup" in the ongoing saga that is URU why not MOULaHa (as in MOUL again 'Hic' again)? :wink: :lol:

I dunno. It makes it sound like an evil laugh: MOULahahahahahaha...

hmmm.....you could be right there TOOO. But when I was writing it I was thinking more along the line of 'AHa' - as in Eureka! 8) Much nicer don't you think? :wink: :lol:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:24 pm 

Thanks for starting the thread Tai - but it looks like Vid's still got you beat, length wise. :wink: :lol:

See you all in the Cavern...... :mrgreen:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:44 pm 

Cavern is open... lots of happy people, old-timers and newcomers alike, wandering around and doing door runs and gathering in Tokotah Plaza. Thank you, Cyan people!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:48 am 
Obduction Backer

be there in a bit... it is 'upgrading' my PhysX version.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:44 am 

Thank you Cyan for all the work ! Old players are back in and with something to do : do it all over again , do it faster, better and laugh harder ! lets be kinder, happier and enjoy , this is an opportunity what ever the number or name is !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:52 pm 

Figures...I'm not around for ages, and I finally pop in on the very day when the Vault goes kablooey. :lol: Well at least now I get to wander around and see just how much I've forgotten.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:32 pm 

Agreed with Chloe. I'm not making an IC thing out of this. Although, it does give me a handy excuse to silently retcon some of my stuff away (mostly some SR stuff).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

I really like the IC stories that come out of situations like this. I try to read them if/when I can. I took the IC ball and ran with it this time, because it pulled me back into the overall story. My early New Year's Resolution is to keep up with it - for as long as I can I'm going to use this catastrophe to my benefit. Too bad the DRC forums aren't open for posting (or they weren't for me when I logged in), I would have had something to contribute for a change. Oh well, always late to the party. Maybe now I'll use the blog more effectively.

The story of the Cavern is a story, after all, and this is part of that history - as are we all. I am a 'character' even as I am myself. We are all creating the story as we go. All the drama, squabbling, successes, failures - the whole sheebang is part of our historical record. It is one now as rich as any in "real" history books. I like having been a small part of that, even when I stomp and curse and cry because my Relto hut is now a temporary prefab and all my testing equipment, notes, and communications are lost because the substructure of a tunnel in the cavern collapsed and took all the residential areas down with it. All that survived was a cement bench and a circle of stones. Sigh.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4