It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:18 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How bad is this on a scale of 1 to 5?
1 - I don't think I can continue 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
2 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
3 - Mixed feelings 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
4 19%  19%  [ 18 ]
5 - It doesn't bother me 56%  56%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 94
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Wow. This is truly amazing. I just found out about this today. I know I've not been around much the past year, but I know I was in the game close to the time of the crash. I need to get back in and see all my old friends again. Isn't some of our stuff stored in our Uru files on our computers?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Rik wrote:
Wow. This is truly amazing. I just found out about this today. I know I've not been around much the past year, but I know I was in the game close to the time of the crash. I need to get back in and see all my old friends again. Isn't some of our stuff stored in our Uru files on our computers?

Yes, your KI pics, chatlogs and Avatar photos are stored locally. Everything else is toast... :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:21 pm 

Ainia wrote:
Yes, your KI pics...

Slight correction, a COPY of your Ki Pics is stored locally, the originals would be on the server and would be destoryed after the vault wipe.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:48 pm 

Uru is an adventure that beckons you to return, and I signed in for my yearly play through only to discover everything was gone, for a moment I was like huh? Then it dawned on me, this urge I had to play again took on even more meaning now that I could recreate Race like I was in Moul and uru:abm&cc, and shards. I had to be Race. In Moula as someone took my signature name now I am me again.

For its time Uru was truly advanced graphics and sound wise, even my PC with the required ATI card wasn't enough, and 10 years later it still looks current. Especially with the multisampling and texture upscaling that my card can do, plus other upgrades Uru felt new again and that made the journey even more exciting!!

Upon entering the city I met several great people and even managed to arrange a few door runs! So what's left is Ahnonay and the Pods! It's great to see so many explorers have remained in the cavern, surely a testament to the games durability. Hopefully player made ages will make their way in or Cyan will let some of the talented creators out there continue on for them to rebuild Uru!

MOULa-Current KI# 1895294

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:50 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Ah, a happy outcome from the reset - being able to recover a long lost "identity" :)

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:37 am 
Obduction Backer

Welcome Back Race!!!

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:37 am 

Not good. Not good at all. I just logged in after a break of a couple of months to find that everything I worked so hard for with several avatars over several years, has all gone. If it is true that there is no going back, and none of the stuff we built up can be recovered, then I am desperately disappointed and don't think I want to carry on. Just like others, I built up a lot on in-cavern friendships and just like the previous incarnations when URU shut down, I will lose touch with most of them. I was one of thousands who made cash donations to keep URU running. I don't think this is a nice or fair way to say 'Thank You' to me or the others. I have been a loyal visitor and supporter of URU for many years and saw it closed down at least twice, or was it three times, and came back when it re-opened and rebuilt. Not sure I can do it again. Is there anything we can do? Surely the servers have backups with our details so they could be put back? Is there anyone we can talk to, or any point in trying, to have our avatars reinstated?
Oh, and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:26 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Adam, you probably need to read a couple of related threads:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=27478
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=27429

Suffice to say that if it had been possible to recover the data from the backups then it would have been done. As it is, all that could reasonably be restored were the accounts themselves.

Many people are actually finding it fun to have to re-do the game: Your old friends are still there, and you may make new ones as you go through the door runs, etc., again. It's not all bad.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Mac_Fife wrote:
Your old friends are still there...
*waves at Adam_Reith*

We've lost the cavern before, Adam and survived to return again and again. At least this time, it wasn't a business decision, but something no one could have predicted or control. Chogon did everything he could to try to salvage whatever he could. Unfortunately, all he could save were our accounts, but at least that was a good place from which to start over.

For me, I saw it as an opportunity to enjoy playing through the game once more. I hope you will, too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:25 pm 

Charura wrote:
Welcome Back Race!!!

Charura!!!!!! Hey there!!! :)

MOULa-Current KI# 1895294

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow, look at all the whining over spilled milk (or as I like to say... absolutely nothing) in this thread. #firstworldproblems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

*waves at Adam*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:24 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
Wow, look at all the whining over spilled milk (or as I like to say... absolutely nothing) in this thread. #firstworldproblems

That's not nice. I was reading those posts to this music and I got so, emotional... :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:00 pm 

Adam_Reith wrote:
ust like others, I built up a lot on in-cavern friendships and just like the previous incarnations when URU shut down, I will lose touch with most of them. .

But if those friendships were meaningful to you, surely you would want to make the effort to keep in touch? Were they friends with EACH other as well as with you? Surely, if you found one or two of them, they could then send you the Ki addresses for the others.

It seems to me it would take at most a couple days - to a week, to reconnect with them either HERE or in the Cavern.

No offense, but it sounds rather callous to just break off a long list of friendships, only because you can't be bothered to spend a few days getting their contact info.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:21 am 

For what it's worth, I quite like the idea of running around and doing everything again, perhaps even with other people (particularly the older Ages, which I inevitably would always end up doing on my own). It's been a good five or so years since I've been on, so maybe that colours my perception a little.

I've gone and redone Gahreesan and Teledahn over the last couple of days - harder than it was last time, mainly because I couldn't remember where all the cloths were. Funny, though, how much you just remember intuitively, even though it's probably been MORE than five years since I've done the old Ages.

It's also been fun reading up on the Cataclysm (DB failure) of September. I don't know, it just reminds me so much of the original vibe of UU (when I first paid attention to Uru) and D'mala (when I first started), that constant feeling that everything could collapse in a minute, people discussing it, dreaming, planning, arguing (I especially loved reading the low KI # discussion-turned-argument. The more things change, the more they stay the same, right? :D

It's also been good seeing the mix of old and new faces. There are folks here and in the cavern I remember from the Until Uru days, and a lot of people who I don't. It kind of makes the prospect of doing everything again once more refreshing yet comforting - the possibility exists of doing things with old friends, but I can also still potentially meet new people/ subject them to Delin runs for my personal benefit and amusement.

Old MOUL KI: 13986530
MOULa KI: 02058741

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next