It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:35 pm 

Location: Montreal, Canada, Land of the Lumberjacks and Maple Syrup rivers.
Hello everyone! :D

I'm new here so long story short: I've played every single Myst title (aside from MOULA) and recently decided that after ignoring it for so many years maybe it was time for me to jump in MOULA...

I was wondering though before I jump in the game later this week: what is the state of the game as we speak? Is the community still active? Is the game still ''alive'' or it's pretty much a ghost town out there?

Also there is something I do not understand from playing Uru/D'ni/Shell: what is the difference between the hood (Bevin) and Ae'gura? Seems like they are both ''hubs'' for meeting people but why have 2 when Ae'gura is more than enough size-wise?

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

I wouldn't say "alive", but it is not dead, either. Depending on the time of day and day of the week the number of players can vary quite a bit. I don't visit Ae'gura much myself, but for the player events I have attended, I've been impressed with the numbers. Hoods are useful for gatherings and if I remember correctly, at one time had higher population caps than the City. A lot of Hoods have special purposes, or members with a particular interest or who are from a particular social subset of players. I usually stick with the Hood the game placed me in, so mine is usually empty.

You will find a few differences with the offline Uru, both additions to the game and differences in some parts of the gameplay. I hope you like it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:22 pm 

Welcome to Uru, Urobulus! The questions you asked have been debated on these forums, in threads such as this one viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27640 and this one viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27597

RAWA has set a list of what to expect from the game as well: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19637

The community is definitely still here, you just have to know where to look. ;) I'd wholeheartedly recommend playing through the game, and deciding for yourself if it's worth sticking around. There's potential in Uru that it hasn't had for a long time now, with the promise of new content (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27323&start=0) and some fan initiatives (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27336 , viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20448)

If you have any questions about the game's story or mechanisms, you can ask myself, anyone in the Cavern, or anyone on the forums. Our community is real helpful like that! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, it depends on your definition of "Ghost Town". There are times of day, like early evening in either North America or Europe, that there are usually groups of people around Ae'gura hanging out to chat and happy to meet and help anyone who wanders in. But Massively Multiplayer we are not at any given time. Make sure you come to the public Ae'gura through the Nexus and not your private instance that you reach through the book in your relto. This Saturday is the monthly community presentation meeting called the All Guilds Meeting (AGM) which is a good way to find out what all is happening in and out of the Cavern. Read through these forums and you will get a good idea of the kinds of people active in the community, chatty introverts by and large.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:52 pm 

A million thanks for the replies: some very good information and links! :)

I shall start my journey shortly (probably this weekend when my wife cuts me some slack :P) but was also wondering something else:

I recently fininished Uru:Complete Chronicles and was wondering if I should expect Ages in MOULA that aren't in U:CC? I know they are both different a bit on certain aspects but my search on Google didn't yield any precise results regarding Ages...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, there are some new ages in MOULa, but
[Reveal] Spoiler:
there are a few small areas that you can no longer visit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi there, Urobulus, welcome or welcome back whatsoever to this community and the cavern ... :P

I'd say you just looked or peered into the wrong direction here on these forums lol, means, you've looked and posted here in the 'Spoiler-free Discussion' section whereas you'd have better taken a look into the very helpful 'Spoilers, Hints and Tips' section, where you'll immediately find many helpful sticky posts like a fantastic MOUL walkthrough, esp. also answering your question related to the difference and use of the neighborhood and D'ni Ae'gura, and you'll see all new available ages and places differing from the Uru offline versions etc., here's the direct link ... 8)

There's also a comprehensive 'Goodie List' containing everything you can acquire in MOULa and so many other revealing and enlightening threads with answers to many questions one might have on one's journey ... Here's another great thread, which is a bit buried, so you won't find it immediately, with a summary of the most useful and covenient tools and stuff one might deem valuable in the cavern, unless you'd like to figure everything out for yourself, but then you can forget everything I've just posted lol, as all those links contain major spoilers and downright solutions ... :)

Ok, that's what came to mind when reading your inquiry, Urobulus, the search facility of this forum works great too btw ... I wish you and maybe together with your precious wife a wonderful 'new' journey and adventure ... There's much new stuff to explore besides what we knew from the offline versions, and I'd say yes, the community is still kickin', sometimes more sometimes less, just keep a look into the 'Events' section of this forum, there's almost always something brewing and/or going on ... Enjoy and have a wonderful Holiday Season ... :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:09 pm 

You guys seriously rock: thanks a lot for all the helpful answers and help! :)

MOULA is a seriously awesome universe to get lost in for hours and my only pet peeve (that's how we call it right? Sorry english is not my mother tongue lol) with the game is that it's capped at 30 FPS... Was so much better with uncapped framerate in U:CC, so much more fluid! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh, yeah, in that case you'd have to go to the shards (Gehn shard and TOC Moul shard, but that's something else and nothing for these forums here, just look into those links and find further info there, in case you're interested) ... as far as I know they've removed the framerate limitation last year besides other improvements and additions ... :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:22 pm 

From what I understood thought ''Shards'' are the same as ''private servers'' and I would be uncomfortable playing on that instead of the official server, afraid I could miss content, updates or whatever compared to the official server(s).

Well not sure I'm explaining right here but hopefully someone gets what I'm trying to say! Lol :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hehe, any updates ever being provided to the official MOULa shard are being programmed and developed by the shard admins of the above mentioned shards and other programming and coding experts, mostly silently working behind the scenes, and are tested on those shards, also additionally and foremost on one not yet mentioned, being the official Minkata Test Shard ... All these folks, of our own community, are also the ones assigned by Cyan to work on implementing fan content onto MOULa right now btw ... :)

So, you won't miss a thing when you every now and again or more often would be looking into those great Uru/Moul versions, and what improvements and enhancements you'll find there will one day maybe see the light on the official MOULa shard as it has happened already in the past, as time and money (as to Cyan's capabilities) permits ... Don't worry anything, just enjoy what's available would be my suggestion ... :D

Last edited by janaba1 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, you are missing all the fan Ages and client improvements (some of which are indeed ported to Cyan’s server) ;)

There are two kinds of shards. One derives from the client being open source; they’re not forbidden, but you might prefer to visit the respective forums. There is an upcoming one that I guess can be described as a fan-driven continuation of the story, so to speak write.
The other kind is formally a violation of I.P., but not really condemned, mostly because most of the fan Ages are being developed in a particular one. For those you really want to visit the respective forums.

I hope I’ve summarized the current situation correctly.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:15 am 

korovev wrote:
There is an upcoming one that I guess can be described as a fan-driven continuation....

I haven't seen or heard any updates about this since the beginning of September. There were frequent updates and then everything just stopped.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:25 am 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
The other kind is formally a violation of I.P., but not really condemned, mostly because most of the fan Ages are being developed in a particular one. For those you really want to visit the respective forums.

I hope I’ve summarized the current situation correctly.

This is not correct information. When you build a fan Age you apply to Cyan for an FCAL (Fan Created Artistic License) which, on approval, gives you permission from Cyan. Thus no violation of IP is occurring.

As for Intangible stuff, I posted an update back in mid November (give or take) regarding the Aquarium. Unfortunately since my last update little progress has been made from my side of things. We're all working on this stuff in our spare time and I'm currently in the process of trying to sell the house so most of my free time is being taken by that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:04 pm 

I think the "other kind" that korovev is talking about is not the Gehn kind, but the "That Place" kind. The former is fine license-wise because it is based on standard MOULa and the additions are purely fan-made, but the latter uses... something else, which is technically not legal. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the "other" kind is legal, then why are we not allowed to discuss it here?)