It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:37 pm 

I'm an old fan of the Myst series, and just recently decided to attempt MOULa. But before I really delve into it, I had a couple of questions; I don't know who, specifically, could answer them.

1) I'm a new Youtuber, and I'd like to know if I need any special permission to make a Let's Play of my experiences in the game. This comes a tad bit late, as I've already posted one small video of me creating my account, but if that isn't allowed I can always take the video down. I plan to play here anyway, I just want to know if I can record in-game or not.

2) I've read up on threads mentioning the dwindling population of active players. And I've been told that there are puzzles that require more than one person to solve. Would anyone here be willing to "partner up" for those puzzles, and possibly communicate with me over Skype? If I'm able to record my playthrough, I'd like someone who doesn't mind if I record the Skype call as well. I'm in CST (GMT -6), and I'd like to coordinate meetings beforehand so I can keep a schedule.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:11 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Generally speaking, Cyan is not unduly upset by video clips of gameplay, screenshots, etc., being posted: There are numerous YouTube channels from fans that each offer dozens of videos. But it may be question of scale and if you're planning to make extensive recordings then it might be safer to contact legal(at)cyan.com to request a FCAL (Fan Created Art Licence) explaining what you intend to do.

As for the multiplayer aspects, when the need arises you can often just go into the public City and ask for assistance. The number of players isn't dwindling so badly that there's no one to help!

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:14 pm 

Making videos and posting them to YouTube is a fairly common practice. The legal details only get complicated when you are making money from them. Or a lot of them, as Mac said. If not, don’t worry about it.

Group Runs… there are posts here telling how to reach groups for those group runs. When in the Cavern look for neighborhoods with people in them to find others that may help with a run. Or check in Ae’gura to see if anyone is up for a run.

Theoretically, all those runs can be made by a single individual. I’ve never been able to pull it off.

It is easy with a group. You might consider creating an EVENT and posting it in that section of the forum.

Contact the Guild of Greeters. The members stay up on what and when things are happening. The monthly guild meetings are a good time to catch people to help with runs.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:24 am 

Thank you both for the info! I was planning to monetize the videos, but I'll hold off on doing anything more than recording until I can get that FCAL sorted.

I'm looking forward to playing!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:22 pm 

Welcome to the Cavern. Feel free to add me to your buddy list, and if you see me on game enlist my help if you need me, or just say hi. I am a Greeter with the Guild of New Greeters, and my joy in game is to help new comers.

KI #03313934

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Welcome...and I can help as well...feel free to add my avvie(s) to your buddy list

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:22 pm 

Thank you for the offers to help!

One question: How long does it take to hear back regarding to the FCAL? I sent an email out on the 16th, and I don't want to get impatient if it takes weeks for a response.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

You don't need an FCAL for a Let's Play...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:12 pm 

I'm monetizing my videos, though. That's something different from just making videos. I don't want to step on any toes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:45 pm 

RageBoxAlice wrote:
How long does it take to hear back regarding to the FCAL?
Give them a couple weeks before getting impatient :wink: Cyan Legal is "resource limited" and may have more urgent matters in hand, but if I remember next time I'm speaking to someone in the office I'll ask if they're aware of the enquiry.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:22 am 

Will do! Just wanted to know what time frame I was looking at.

Thank you for the help!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:46 am 

Well, all I can tell you is that Support (who normally issue the response on these kinds of request) haven't seen anything yet, so it's probably still in Legal's in-tray.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:06 pm 

Thank you. Until I hear back from them, I'm putting off doing anymore in the game just in case I can record and post videos of it, but I'll be patient. ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:02 pm 

So... it's been about a month since I first emailed them. Should I maybe send another? I don't want to seem pushy, but I'm really just looking for an answer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Yes. It would not hurt to send it again to [email protected] There could be a number of reasons you have not heard back, including that your email may have somehow got lost (spam folder) or accidentally deleted.
Just politely say that you sent your request a month ago and you were hoping to get an answer soon. And be sure to repeat your request somewhere in the email just in case the first one was lost.

Thanks,
Chogon