It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:47 pm 

Sorry for asking a totally newbie question: but I'm a long time Mac user and therefore have only ever played all the Myst games that came out on dual OS discs and iOS; URU was never available for Mac so I never played it.
I recently made my 'old' iMac into a triple boot (Mac/Windows/Linux) so now i finally have the opportunity to play PC games.
Also: my local library still had a CDrom of "Uru Ages beyond Myst" on the shelf! So I borrowed it in february 2015, but the disc simply doesn't work at all, it is way too old and scratched and comes up with super weird errors that I won't be getting into now.

My question is: does URU online contain parts of the offline "Ages beyond Myst" game?
Does it also contain Path of the shell?
If so: wouldn't it be weird if you're doing stuff and you don't know what storyline it 'belongs' to?
I'm all confused :-)

Also: I am not much of a social gamer, I prefer to sulk and sit alone and go crazy from all the puzzles and pull my hair out while no one's watching, so I hope that in the online version it is totally possible to solve puzzles on ones own?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:05 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

The online version is similar to the offline version, but not identical and the To D'ni and Path of the Shell expansions are included in the online game but again are not identical to their offline counterparts. There are also a number of ages that not in the offline games at all, although some are quite small.

The online game was designed to be multiplayer and so tries to encourage collaboration amongst players, so while most of the puzzles can be completed alone, as in the offline game, there are few that expect you to find one or more partners. I understand your point of view in wanting to keep to yourself (I'm really a pretty shy and retiring sort of guy normally too, and shared your feelings when I first came here) but you'll find that folks here are pretty friendly and helpful. But take your time to get comfortable and you'll find it easier to mix with folks in the game in due course. Then, when you're ready, get help with those multiplayer puzzles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:08 pm 

If I remember correctly, URU is all in the online game. Path of the Shell is partly there. Maybe some one else will answer that remembers better than I. I still have all my single player discs. I should have looked before I started trying to answer your question.
Most of the game can be played alone. It is pretty neat to see people where there were none. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:59 pm 

Hi, thank you for your excellent answers.
When I logged in and for the first time saw another person there I freaked out
:-D
i feel rude and antisocial because I don't talk to people in the virtual realm and I just keep on running, but yes: right now all I wanna do is walk around and try to figure out what this weird place is all about.

I'm sad I cannot play the weirdly behaving URU disc from my library so it's good to hear that much of it can be found in MOUL.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Jolarti, it happened to some of us too. dont worry (i spent 5 yrs in the offline game so...)

we'll help :D

Membre du quartier Mystpedia - KI 9392
Alts : EG Jan (gone) / Sleeper Jan KI (coming soon)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:24 am 

:wink: Hopefully we'll get the chance to spend 5 years in this online game,
that would be nice since I'm greatly disappointed that most of the Myst CD's and DVD's that I own can no longer be played on new systems (i'm spending much more time on trying to make them run, instead of actual gameplay).

I've found these old but really excellent spoiler-free game reviews:
http://eblong.com/zarf/gamerev/uru-live.html

but i wonder about this part:
"You have to pay attention to where you step. You'll inch along a narrow board, leap a yard-wide gap, run for a door which is grinding shut. If you are terrible at all kinds of reflex games, this may bother you."
that doesn't sound very Mystlike to me, is the gameplay on MOUL really like this?
So far I've found a few ladders that act weird on me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:49 am 
Obduction Backer

we had the 5 years anniversary a month ago :D

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=27698
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=27714

Membre du quartier Mystpedia - KI 9392
Alts : EG Jan (gone) / Sleeper Jan KI (coming soon)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:36 pm 

There are some much bigger leaps than a yard! But you can't "die", so there's no harm in falling down the odd crevasse. However, it's not really a hand-eye coordination type of game at all, although there are one or two places where you'll need to work out what needs done and then do it quickly. They're exceptions and for the most part you can just take your time.

One thing to watch though, if you want to solve the puzzles on your own: At times you will need to pass through "public" areas and occasionally people may inadvertently reveal spoilers. There's not a lot you can do about that, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:52 pm 

Ah OK!
In my real world eyes I seem to have developed an automatic adblocker, maybe it will work for spoilers too,
thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:35 pm 

Although you're not a "social gamer" you might like to think about dropping in on an AGM (All Guilds Meeting) which are held on the first Saturday of each month in Kirel - so there's one coming up. These are public meetings where individuals and groups that "do stuff" for Uru (organise events, fix bugs, etc.) talk about what they're doing, usually with a short Q&A afterwards. See this thread for a better idea: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=27174

You don't have to get involved - you can just sit in and listen (which is what most people do anyway) and you don't need to hang around for the whole thing if you don't feel like it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:47 pm 

Okay, will do soon. I don't know yet how KI time relates to my local time in the Netherlands.
I have much to learn...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:24 pm 

KI time is US Mountain Time so 13:00 KI will be 21:00 CET (although note that the US changes to daylight saving on March 8th which will reduce the difference by one hour for about three weeks).