It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Hey all.

I guess you could say an ending has finally been written. I've just turned off my server. with it, Chiso dies... or does it?

I've spoken to a member of the community who I trust to keep it at least online. Deledrius.

Not sure when or how it'll return, but I've given him the data he'll need to get her back online as it was on my server.

So long, take care, and.. who knows where the future leads. =)

UPDATE: the site is now live on Deledrius' server, using the same URL (for now). URL is: http://chiso.uruslasthope.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Even though I understand that there are practical reasons we cannot keep servers online forever, I'm so glad that this valuable and invaluable archival resource hasn't vaporized.

Many thanks to Kae - for assembling this historical material, and to Del - for continuing to make it available to all of us!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
Many thanks to Kae - for assembling this historical material, and to Del - for continuing to make it available to all of us!
Agreed.

I know we can't keep everything Myst/Uru forever, but comprehensive collections like this one are worth maintaining. So, thank you Kae and Deledrius.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for taking the effort to preserve this material.

This may sound weird, but... consider uploading the whole batch to the Internet Archive. (https://archive.org/create/) That's what they're for.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:57 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes. Thank you very much! So much information painstakingly gathered by previous explorers has been lost over the years that every bit saved is a boon to the community. This site is very helpful for all kinds of research. You are akin to the monastic scribes, preserving knowledge for later generations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:28 pm 

Hate to bring up an old topic but it seems Chiso is dead again :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:53 pm 

I sent a message over, it might be due to the recent migration of the GoW server....

(/salute)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Not dead, and not (technically) moved! The site is still available at the alternate location: Chiso

When I took over hosting, I also aliased the site as a subdomain on Zero Factorial, and it's been available in both places ever since. Alas, neither of us were able to afford renewing the uruslasthope domain. I would have set up a redirect, but I was hoping until the last moment to be financially able to purchase the domain and not need to change it at all. Sorry about that. :cry:

I've also been working on a site update that uses proper standards so the site will be trivially crawlable by utilities like archive.org, insuring the site against future catastrophe. This update includes many usability enhancements as well. It's been nearly complete for some time, but other priorities have prevented launch. Stay tuned!

Update (2016-01-27 12:55pm PST): The domain has been re-purchased and should be restored to working order.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

As I said, you can upload stuff to Archive.org directly rather than waiting for its web crawler to find it. The collection would then be visible as a collection rather than a set of wayback-machine pages.

You don't have to do it that way. I'm just saying that you can.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:16 pm 

Also the "Download All" button doesn't seem to work

KI #12987306

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]