It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

What did you get for coordinates?

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hihi, I just uploaded them and added them to my last post ... :)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Okay. K'veer's rotunda is 9° east of the zero meridian, 2.04 miles / 3.29 kilometers from the zero, and about 960 feet below the zero.

That's good enough to plot on the map. Thanks!

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ohh, that's wonderful that this info was useful!!! You're welcome ... :D

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

And that job is done. K'veer is probably too big, but I don't know the dimensions of the island, and I wanted enough detail to show for it to be recognizable. Its coordinates place it about two-thirds of the way from the Island to the city.

Rather than send you all the way back to the first post in the topic, I'll relink the map here.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

That's two of the lesser islands identified, illustrated and marked. Three cheers for small triumphs! :D

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:13 am 
Obduction Backer

It occurs to me that I really should have someone double checking my math, since I'm not very good at it.

I previously managed to set a map scale where the space between the concentric rings on the Great Zero mosaic is 350 shahfeetee, and I've no reason to doubt it.

That distance equals 185 pixels when I'm working with my drawing tools, and that's where my brain is shutting down and going on strike. Here's the question:

How many shahfeetee are there to a single pixel, or vice-versa?

I think that it's about 0.5 pixels to the shahfee, but since math causes my eyes to glaze over, I may be wrong. Anyone better at figuring out stuff like that?

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:02 am 
Obduction Backer

There are 0.5285714 pizels to the shahfee, and 1.891 shahfeetee to the pixel (underlining indicates recurring digits, for full accuracy.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks. I'll recheck my distances.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
Thanks. I'll recheck my distances.

If you need any help with any of the more mathematical side of things then I am more than happy to help. Numerical analysis, simulation and calculation are pretty much what I have spent the last 12 years doing :wink: .

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Here's a table I'm working up for things. It does pose some problems. Most of the locations make sense, but Kirel and Bevin are the exceptions. If I place them where their measurements call for, they end up in the lake about 9/10ths of the way to shore, and Kirel is below water level. Cyan, you let me down! :cry:

...unless they are actually located on an island instead of in the cavern wall like we've always assumed? Is there any documentation that says they are in the wall? Of course, that doesn't solve the whole "Kirel is submerged" thing.

Okay, I just placed a couple of dots on the map that show the locations of Kirel and Bevin as their distances call for. On the GZ mosaic, there's an elevation line just touching the bottom of Bevin, with Kirel farther in. Thing is, that elevation line is shown in the part colored like "water", not the gray "land".

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Please don't use K'veer's POTS coordinates for the map. Cyan removed those coordinates most likely because they realized that the coordinates were off and did not want to run into a wall with inaccuracies later on down the road. Unless you're going to explain all the other changes and inaccuracies between MOULa and POTS you shouldn't use anything from POTS for accuracy at this point in the game unless its still in MOULa.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

If you've a more accurate set of coordinates, I'll be happy to use them. Right now, those are all we have.

There are points in their favor. The position matches very well with the view of Ae'gura from the Great Hall window. It also places K'veer as one of the islands we can see on the left when looking from the neighborhood balcony.

I'll freely admit that there are problems with the KI coordinates -- Kirel and Bevin are good examples -- but with lack of any other confirmed data from a reliable source, they trump anything else.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
If you've a more accurate set of coordinates, I'll be happy to use them. Right now, those are all we have.

There are points in their favor. The position matches very well with the view of Ae'gura from the Great Hall window. It also places K'veer as one of the islands we can see on the left when looking from the neighborhood balcony.

I'll freely admit that there are problems with the KI coordinates -- Kirel and Bevin are good examples -- but with lack of any other confirmed data from a reliable source, they trump anything else.

Fine if you are going to use them please explain how the library doors work in MOULa but not in POTS. Please explain the lack of all the Guild Hood stuff in Kirel in POTS, or why you can access the private rooms there but not in MOULa. Or how about the massive changes to Er'cana and Ahnonay. Or why there's a book pedestal for the Nexus book in MOULa's hoods but a actual nexus station in the one in POTS. Or any of the other countless changes made between the two versions of Uru.

Do you get my point now? You can't just pick and choose what parts you want to use and ignore the rest, its either all okay to use or none of it is and you use only MOULa, unless you want the responsibility of explaining all the other changes between the two.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

The KI GPS is notoriously shoddy – I mean, it takes 30 datapoints just to get a rough calibration :lol:

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Latest version of the map.

1. I've re-edited the GZ mosaic to show the next lower contour from the gray colored areas.
2. I've moved Kirel and Bevin where their measured distances call for them to be, instead of where I thought they should be because they weren't on the "land".
3. The azimuth lines and compass rose I use to determine directions have been cleaned off this version to make it less cluttered.
4. A new background is being used for the water to see if it looks better.
5. I copied another section of the map to fill in the missing part at the south end of the map. It's a placeholder, so I left in the gold edging.
6. I copied and modified one of the numbered tiles to replace the missing one in the south.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next