It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:53 pm 

larryf58 wrote:
ChloeRhodes wrote:
Funny I never thought that you linked via a stone at either the top or the bottom of the wall. I considered the linking there to be through the suit, much like the one described within Book of D'ni. That the newer light weight suits made prior to the fall of D'ni, still had the same linking mechanism within them to aid in quick escapes, and the buttons at the top of the wall and the bottom of it simply activated the measure within the suit. That the suit hadn't passed testing before The Fall and thats why it was tested on the Wall prior to deployment rather than the other ones, and then of course the Fall happened

There's a button you touch at the bottom to get out, and just reaching the top links you on the Wall itself. No stones. The actual mechanism is unexplained.

It seems to be a combination of the suit and the Wall that links the wearer, although the DRC doesn't seem to be sure;
Michael Simpson wrote:
Once somebody got to the top, the suit, and some kind of panel in the wall (we assume) initiated a link. Bam, the Maintainer found themselves in the Maintainer Nexus. Yahoo, winner. Once there, Maintainer raised his arms in the air and cheered to himself and linked back to the Control Room for game number two. (That's how I picture it.) It's worth noting that the Nexus removed the suit from the Maintainers as well. We don't know how really, but we know it does. Since we're admitting what we don’t know: that link through the wall and suit thing is somewhat of a mystery.

MO:ULagain KI: #00042189 (unused) • #01521023
The cavern is Image, Minkata is Image
@rivenimagebot@CavernCondition

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

ChloeRhodes wrote:
korovev wrote:
Tweek wrote:
Generally experimentation with the Art was a no-no, the D'ni held steadfast in their rules regarding Writing (obviously some development over the years would happen..new ink formulas for example). It was however done by people (illicit Ages) and by the Guilds to a degree (Gahreesen wall has a mechanism at the top to Link a person without a Book and on the ground is a round stone which also Links a person). Some of the experimentations have been quite outlandish for the D'ni (which some will hopefully discover in the future). But a lot of these experiments would have been kept secret due to the penalties that came with messing with the Art.

Just to clarify, I mean progress in the Skill itself, not in technology or society. “Some development over” 10.000 years didn’t even manage to produce smaller or multipanel Books. It looks like the Writers were not researchers, but priests of a more or less immutable Art.

And that makes the hypothesis of a secret group doing classified research somewhat more likely, for example to have a fallback in case the bahro got free or another Ronay splinter showed up with hostile intentions. Though one could wonder what they were doing during the Fall, considering how it was relatively easy for A’Gaeris to get anywhere near something rather critical like the air vents :?

It should also be noted that what we canonically know about the D’ni comes from what was left after the survivors relocated to Releeshahn; it would make sense that they took any critical knowledge and item related to the Art, or D’ni society in general, with them. In that case, if any breakthrough was made in recent times, we wouldn’t know about it (Yeesha meddlings aside).

Funny the topic that this should be brought up (secret society within D'ni that broke the rules of linking) This was actually a storyline I had planned for my future content years ago. This was before the whole Intangible and DIRT: Uru Live projects, and was just when I was developing content for POTS.

Spoilers in case I ever get a chance to release any of it:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Part of the content, was going to be a hood, as well as several ages and a secret location within D'ni itself. The basic story was that this group, The Writers of Illumination...wait tangent here - actually one of the T-Shirt's included with clothing update to MOULa, because at some point I do plan on getting back to this stuff and wanted to plant some of the seeds of that content early - okay back to it, this group, the WOI, was a secret society within D'ni. The group was comprised of some of the wealthiest and talented members of each of the five main guilds, as well as some from the lesser guilds. They met in secret because they believed that the rules regarding the Art and experimentation with it were causing the Art to stagnate, which led to "cookie cutter" ages like the garden binge era etc. They believed so long as the guilds continued teaching unproven theories as pious fact that eventually the Art's movement forward would eventually stop all together. They believed that rules like inter-age linking, writing man made structures and even time travel could be broken, but went the opposite way of Yeesha/Bahro and tried to mix the Art of Writing with science and tech. Part of the mystery of the group was how long they stayed in activity, they existed since at least from Ahlsendar's reign right up until a few years before the Fall, at least thats what I've revealed so far. The idea being that because of their connections within the Guilds and within D'ni society as a whole, over the years the group used those connections to stay hidden for all this time even when their ranks have changed over their long existence. think the Illuminati of D'ni, hence the name.

Hehe Chloe :)

I was kind of sad to learn that trap books don't really exist. I'd had visions of them being illegal to the public at large and used only by the Maintainers as prison Ages. And that as a result, a number of D'ni cults formed around illegal trap books, obsessed with the notion that in going into that mid-link place of non-existence, they were becoming one with Yahvo.

I could definitely see this kind of splinter group forming if they had been real. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh, great. That immediately threw me into thoughts of a D'ni equivalent to Zen.

"The greatest state of mental being is no mind. Picture yourself in the midst of linking, but never arriving at your destination. That feeling of a period between existence and nonexistence is the goal of our meditation. Be the void."

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:20 am 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
Escher gained it by flaying a Bahro for its tattoos and wearing the hide over his shoulder. For that to work, he had to keep the Bahro alive during and after the procedure. It seems that the tattoos only work if the original host is still kicking.

Tweek wrote:
Yeah the markings come from the Spiral Age as a rite of passage kind of thing, last I heard they were scars not tattoos though (kind of like tribes in Africa).

Okay, I know I've been out of the loop for a while, but what? What's the source for this stuff, I need to get caught up here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:39 am 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
Escher gained it by flaying a Bahro for its tattoos and wearing the hide over his shoulder.

Myst V, pretty obvious in game. :)

larryf58 wrote:
For that to work, he had to keep the Bahro alive during and after the procedure. It seems that the tattoos only work if the original host is still kicking.

Reasonable theory based upon Myst V (see the Noloben lab drawings showing Bahro cadavers and monkey-scarification pattern) and in-cavern Bahro civil war events (Nekisaloth, the Bahro pelt owner and how he must be transported around by sympathetic Bahro).

Tweek wrote:
Yeah the markings come from the Spiral Age as a rite of passage kind of thing, last I heard they were scars not tattoos though (kind of like tribes in Africa).

Most likely inside knowledge of a certain former Cyantist. :P

[Reveal] Spoiler: Bahro scarification image collection by ireenquench

RAWA has stated that the Bahro are not born with these symbols.

vidkid7 wrote:
Okay, I know I've been out of the loop for a while, but what? What's the source for this stuff, I need to get caught up here.

Hope this helps! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

vidkid7 wrote:

Most of what we are talking about is research gruntwork; we pulled that info out of the game the hard way.

The existence of the Spiral Age, the home world of the Bahro, became known when Cyan finally released more of its preproduction art to the Myst fan community.

Tweek has insider info because he's working with the Intangibles team, fan programmers who are finishing up the planned Ages Cyan didn't get to. We only get small hints though, because he's not allowed to talk about much or share the material Cyan gave him.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6