It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
This seems to me one of the weakest parts of the story: Yeesha and Calam allegedly made more progress than the whole Guild of Writers in 10,000 years. Either the Guild had no research departments and no interest in developing the Art itself, or they did made progress but kept it ‘off the records’.

They did make progress. However, they also knew they were playing with a cosmic equivalent of nitro glycerin, and acted accordingly. The D'ni had a very strict set of laws and guidelines in place to prevent disasters from happening as much as they could. Writing an Age wrong could wipe out entire inhabited planets, so they took it very seriously indeed.

Then came the Fall, and the surviving D'ni were scattered and trapped in various Ages out of fear of the plague. Gehn, who had only received a few basic years of education in the Guild of Book Makers, decided to teach himself the Skill. He later began instructing his son, Atrus, and a selected few people on Riven (Katran was the most talented of those). This meant that the family of Atrus learned the Art by studying the gahrohehvtee in existing books, and then applying them experimentally. They taught themselves to write by trial and error.

That was both good and bad. It meant that they were unaware of the laws the D'ni worked under, but it also meant that they didn't have the benefit of over 10,000 years experience at the task. When Yeesha met Calam, he was horrified by the lackadaisical approach she had to the Art. She, on the other hand, was disdainful of the hidebound way he clung to the rules he kept quoting. They fought like cats and dogs. Eventually, they began to see the value of each other's approaches, and learned from each other. Yeesha began to appreciate the depth of knowledge Calam's training had given him, and he started loosening up, seeing how her fresh ideas could be game changers.

Together, they began working out techniques that the D'ni never would have tried. Not because they couldn't; because they would have considered them insanely reckless.

The D'ni did things carefully, but they did experiment. For example, when a type of tough fabricated stone called deretheni was invented and the Maintainers began using it to make heavily armored environmental suits, the Writers guild loosened the rules a little so the guildsmen could get creative.

So, D'ni did advance the Art over the course of the empire, but their progress was slow, cautious, and measured. They never experimented unless they were reasonably certain that it would not end in catastrophe.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

tommyap wrote:
We have used stone tools for hundreds of thousands of years prior to using metal.
Neolitic structures found on all but two continents show (or better yet proof) that neolitic man was a lot smarter than we tend to give them credit for.

Except Writing is not like making a hammer; it’s more like building a nuclear reactor. The Ronay technology level doesn’t look like that of the Neolithic, it seems more-or-less comparable to our own. Technological advancements have been relatively slow until about the XIX century, then they speeded up. If we assume a similar trend in D’ni development, then the difference in advancements (as far as the Art goes) from Garternay to D’ni isn’t as marked as (I personally) would expect it to be.

larryf58 wrote:
They did make progress. However, they also knew they were playing with a cosmic equivalent of nitro glycerin, and acted accordingly. The D'ni had a very strict set of laws and guidelines in place to prevent disasters from happening as much as they could. Writing an Age wrong could wipe out entire inhabited planets, so they took it very seriously indeed.

Sure, they were cautious, but they also had a very long time to test the limits within those rules. Besides, the problem with very dangerous stuff is that they usually backfire easily when mishandled; you don’t learn how to handle a demon core by trial-and-error, unless you consider Acute Radiation Syndrome a funny side effect. Gehn, Atrus, Katran, Yeesha, all learned to Write mostly by trial-and-error with apparently nothing worse than a sunburn (for them, at least).

Come to think of it: do we actually have an idea of the state of the art... of the Art at the time of the Fall?

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
Come to think of it: do we actually have an idea of the state of the art... of the Art at the time of the Fall?

Yep. Kadish Tolesa was written not very long before the Fall, and so was Ahnonay. Those are both examples of the kind of creativity that a D'ni master of Writing could accomplish, since that was what Kadish was before he retired and became the PT Barnum of D'ni.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree in regards to the Great Shaft. Every version of it I've seen (from DIRT to Uru) shows there were no supports, it's only EoA that has them.

Now originally that could have been explained with the whole EoA being 50 years after Uru as "Humans fixed up the Shaft over the years and the DRC added the supports". However this falls apart when it was retconned.

Yes the D'ni fixed up the shaft after the initial tremors that almost cost Veovis his life and resulted in them stopping the work. However you then have to take into account 200 years of subsequent earthquakes which would count for the small amount of damage seen in Uru.

Further more the lack of supports is rather in keeping with the D'ni grandiose building achievements (like Kerath's Arch and others) where the structure was established and honed to perfection by their engineering skills. I would also offer the Book of Atrus as evidence of the lack of supports, but it would be flawed given the description on the novel is very different to how it is in Uru.

In regards to the Art. Larry pretty much hit it spot on. Generally experimentation with the Art was a no-no, the D'ni held steadfast in their rules regarding Writing (obviously some development over the years would happen..new ink formulas for example). It was however done by people (illicit Ages) and by the Guilds to a degree (Gahreesen wall has a mechanism at the top to Link a person without a Book and on the ground is a round stone which also Links a person). Some of the experimentations have been quite outlandish for the D'ni (which some will hopefully discover in the future). But a lot of these experiments would have been kept secret due to the penalties that came with messing with the Art.

In regard to Yeesha and Calam... Well Yeesha was the byproduct of Atrus and Katran raising a child right. Atrus was a very accomplished Writer and Katran...well she was like Picasso to Atrus' Monet. Whilst she was talented she was creative over scientific she already bent the rules that Atrus (like the majority of D'ni) held as absolutes. Yeesha inherited both of these writing styles and combined with what she learned from Calam a D'ni Writer was able to really push the limits. As she learned from Calam he learned from her and as a result I don't think it's at all unlikely they made a ridiculous amount of progress where the Art is concerned.

Throw in the Bahro and their take on the Art to the mix and baby...you've got a stew..

Kadish Tolesa and Ahnonay are troublesome examples to use. Kadish Tolesa is a prime example of Kadish's flawed Writing style and Ahnonay (given it appears to be a Torus Age) was most likely an illicit Age.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tweek wrote:
Yes the D'ni fixed up the shaft after the initial tremors that almost cost Veovis his life and resulted in them stopping the work. However you then have to take into account 200 years of subsequent earthquakes which would count for the small amount of damage seen in Uru.

There are two flaws in that. First is the lack of rubble at the bottom. The DRC wouldn't have had removing that as a priority as long as they had a clear path through it. They did use the shaft when D'ni was discovered, and to bring in their supplies, so a path was essential. But to clean it so thoroughly that no trace of debris remain? Next, there's no sign of how the DRC got down it past the damage, and there are no DRC lights in it other than the lamps in Watson's eder tomahn. If it was the version the DRC used to get in and out of the caverns, there should be signs of it and Watson couldn't have hidden there. Someone passing by would have noticed.

Quote:
In regard to Yeesha and Calam... ...As she learned from Calam he learned from her and as a result I don't think it's at all unlikely they made a ridiculous amount of progress where the Art is concerned.

Creating a linking book that went with you instead of being left behind was an accomplishment the D'ni could only have dreamed of. Being able to add pages to a linking book and not cause it to lose connection to the Age was beyond what they could have dreamed of.

Quote:
Kadish Tolesa and Ahnonay are troublesome examples to use. Kadish Tolesa is a prime example of Kadish's flawed Writing style and Ahnonay (given it appears to be a Torus Age) was most likely an illicit Age.

Tolesa? Flawed? Not in any way I've noticed, so please elucidate. Tolesa was approved by the Maintainer's guild. That's proven because it has one of their marks. That approval wouldn't have been given to a flawed Age.

There are no signs of Maintainers marks in either Ahnonay or the Cathedral, but it was awfully public for an illicit Age. He conducted tours in it.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
Tweek wrote:

There are two flaws in that. First is the lack of rubble at the bottom. The DRC wouldn't have had removing that as a priority as long as they had a clear path through it. They did use the shaft when D'ni was discovered, and to bring in their supplies, so a path was essential. But to clean it so thoroughly that no trace of debris remain? Next, there's no sign of how the DRC got down it past the damage, and there are no DRC lights in it other than the lamps in Watson's eder tomahn. If it was the version the DRC used to get in and out of the caverns, there should be signs of it and Watson couldn't have hidden there. Someone passing by would have noticed.

Rubble would have landed on the center disc that you need to move up and down to turn the air flow on. Removing this rubble would have been a priority for several reasons. 1. extra weight could throw the weight balance off for the movement to work. 2. rubble sitting on the center disc could then be dislodged upon raising the disc allowing for damage to the machinery below or causing the disc to get stuck.

Secondly, the chunks missing are to stop people walking up it. Originally the Shaft allowed for walking half way down (to the Eder Tomahn) and then the rest of the trip would be in a lift. Which was how the DRC got down. This was later changed when the journey from the surface down was pretty much removed.

Quote:
Quote:
In regard to Yeesha and Calam... ...As she learned from Calam he learned from her and as a result I don't think it's at all unlikely they made a ridiculous amount of progress where the Art is concerned.

Creating a linking book that went with you instead of being left behind was an accomplishment the D'ni could only have dreamed of. Being able to add pages to a linking book and not cause it to lose connection to the Age was beyond what they could have dreamed of.

I agree, but I wondering in regards to the Linking Book being left behind wasn't just a simple addition of a clip to the Book. Then it falls under the "one step" rule. But I'm sure in 10,000 years or so someone must have tried that and failed so it is likely there is more to it than that.

Quote:
Quote:

Tolesa? Flawed? Not in any way I've noticed, so please elucidate. Tolesa was approved by the Maintainer's guild. That's proven because it has one of their marks. That approval wouldn't have been given to a flawed Age.

There are no signs of Maintainers marks in either Ahnonay or the Cathedral, but it was awfully public for an illicit Age. He conducted tours in it.

Yes, Kadish was a better engineer than he was a Writer. Kadish Tolesa was flawed the trees shot up and swallowed the estate breaking it up into the form we see now (hence all the broken arches and what not). There certainly is a maintainer mark within the Age, however there is no indication when it was put there. It could have been before the trees broke everything up or it could have been later and the Maintainers felt that whilst the Age had some quirks it was stable enough.

Indeed Ahnonay was public (in the sense of those he allowed to visit the Age), but keep in mind visitors did not see Ahnonay as it actually is they only saw the illusions he had set up in the spheres.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
Tweek, I'm not trying to imply that every little difference between the various K'veers and Great Shafts is fraught with meaning. However, I do feel that "artistic license" doesn't work with some of the differences that (in my mind) are quite deliberate on Cyan's part.

The most important of these differences is with the damaged and undamaged states of the Great Shaft itself, particularly since BoT describes the event which caused this damage. So in my mind, we are seeing in Uru the Shaft at a time in its past when it was still under construction, before the great earthquake that wrought such havok on the Shaft and nearly killed Veovis. And in EoA, we are seeing the Great Shaft at some point after it was repaired and then abandoned by the D'ni; and where we can see some of the scars still left by the earthquake that the D'ni chose to leave unrepaired but used the elevators to mitigate.
Tweek wrote:
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree in regards to the Great Shaft. Every version of it I've seen (from DIRT to Uru) shows there were no supports, it's only EoA that has them.

This. As probably the one person here who has done the most research over the years into the Great Shaft (arguably more than Tweek given the nature of our passions when it comes to Uru/Myst), and has seen it in almost all its states, in each of the games, has worked with the official assets for the Great Shaft, and the unofficial ones (AKA prior to the Intangibles my work on DIRT: Uru Live) I've seen that there have been at the very least five versions of the Shaft. One for DIRT, two for Uru/POTS (one which didn't even have Watson's Tomahn and the one we have now. One for MOUL/MOULa (That included the minor changes to it for that (Calendar Star, KI Machine) and finally the one for Myst V.

Only Myst V had the support struts and the two elevators. DIRT, the first version of it didn't have any, but the issue of walking down the great shaft, relatively small at the time, as an in game mechanic was brought up as boring to the player...so they put in an elevator. Eventually someone else complained about the relatively small size of the shaft in the first version of it did it get expanded to the bigger size it is today, when that happened they added the second elevator into it for Myst V, around the time that they merged in the version of the shaft we have now, to the one from Myst V and had the elevator stop at the Eder Tomahns. Originally the one elevator took you from the top of the shaft all the way to the bottom with no stops.

Also Myst V has Eder Tohmans that were added in specifically so that the Direbo book could be placed somewhere. Along with some other subtle changes between versions, all of these were done for artistic reasons rather than story/lore reasons with one exception and that isn't present within any of the official versions.

As Tweek also pointed out, the damage that is present there is present across the versions of the shaft, some with greater/lesser degrees but in no version is the Shaft undamaged with walkways unbroken or cracks in the flooring not present.

Tweek wrote:
In regards to the Art. Larry pretty much hit it spot on. Generally experimentation with the Art was a no-no, the D'ni held steadfast in their rules regarding Writing (obviously some development over the years would happen..new ink formulas for example). It was however done by people (illicit Ages) and by the Guilds to a degree (Gahreesen wall has a mechanism at the top to Link a person without a Book and on the ground is a round stone which also Links a person). Some of the experimentations have been quite outlandish for the D'ni (which some will hopefully discover in the future). But a lot of these experiments would have been kept secret due to the penalties that came with messing with the Art.

Funny I never thought that you linked via a stone at either the top or the bottom of the wall. I considered the linking there to be through the suit, much like the one described within Book of D'ni. That the newer light weight suits made prior to the fall of D'ni, still had the same linking mechanism within them to aid in quick escapes, and the buttons at the top of the wall and the bottom of it simply activated the measure within the suit. That the suit hadn't passed testing before The Fall and thats why it was tested on the Wall prior to deployment rather than the other ones, and then of course the Fall happened

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's right, I got my versions mixed up thanks Chloe :) Too many versions of the Shaft >.<

Yeah I had pondered that idea too, but then I took into account the state of the suit and the gloves. As a slim-lined suit designed for those best of the best maintainers, having a book in the palm seems counterproductive when trying to hang on to things/climb. Of course it's entirely possible the book is in the sleeve and the top of the wall and the stone sends some sort of electrical signal that triggers the Link.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tweek wrote:
Generally experimentation with the Art was a no-no, the D'ni held steadfast in their rules regarding Writing (obviously some development over the years would happen..new ink formulas for example). It was however done by people (illicit Ages) and by the Guilds to a degree (Gahreesen wall has a mechanism at the top to Link a person without a Book and on the ground is a round stone which also Links a person). Some of the experimentations have been quite outlandish for the D'ni (which some will hopefully discover in the future). But a lot of these experiments would have been kept secret due to the penalties that came with messing with the Art.

Just to clarify, I mean progress in the Skill itself, not in technology or society. “Some development over” 10.000 years didn’t even manage to produce smaller or multipanel Books. It looks like the Writers were not researchers, but priests of a more or less immutable Art.

And that makes the hypothesis of a secret group doing classified research somewhat more likely, for example to have a fallback in case the bahro got free or another Ronay splinter showed up with hostile intentions. Though one could wonder what they were doing during the Fall, considering how it was relatively easy for A’Gaeris to get anywhere near something rather critical like the air vents :?

It should also be noted that what we canonically know about the D’ni comes from what was left after the survivors relocated to Releeshahn; it would make sense that they took any critical knowledge and item related to the Art, or D’ni society in general, with them. In that case, if any breakthrough was made in recent times, we wouldn’t know about it (Yeesha meddlings aside).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:54 pm 

Tweek wrote:
larryf58 wrote:
Tweek wrote:

Yes, Kadish was a better engineer than he was a Writer. Kadish Tolesa was flawed the trees shot up and swallowed the estate breaking it up into the form we see now (hence all the broken arches and what not). There certainly is a maintainer mark within the Age, however there is no indication when it was put there. It could have been before the trees broke everything up or it could have been later and the Maintainers felt that whilst the Age had some quirks it was stable enough.

Indeed Ahnonay was public (in the sense of those he allowed to visit the Age), but keep in mind visitors did not see Ahnonay as it actually is they only saw the illusions he had set up in the spheres.

Though one must wonder how Kadish managed to keep the Maintainers off his back regarding Ahnonay. Surely someone claiming to be able to travel through time would have the Maintainers down on them like a ton of bricks. (And Ahnonay was obviously never inspected by them, or they would have realised what the Age was fairly soon. A Maintainers' Mark would have given it away because of the coordinates, and it would be fairly easy to tell anyway otherwise (how did he fool anyone with the images of the other islands? Were they all half-blind?))

Somewhat unrelated sidenote: Did Kadish build Ahnonay himself?

MO:ULagain KI: #00042189 (unused) • #01521023
The cavern is Image, Minkata is Image
@rivenimagebot@CavernCondition

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Carolyn wrote:
Somewhat unrelated sidenote: Did Kadish build Ahnonay himself?

Probably not. He had workers; Er'cana didn't run itself. It's likely that he had construction teams on retainer that were paid to keep their mouths shut. One of the things RAWA has told us over the years is that you cannot write an Age with buildings included, something Atrus found out when he tried writing Stoneship. It tends to go badly. So Ahnonay and Tolesa pretty much would have had to have their buildings added afterward.

Er'cana was an exception; Kadish didn't write it, he bought it from the Guild of Caterers and modified the facilities for his purposes.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

ChloeRhodes wrote:
Funny I never thought that you linked via a stone at either the top or the bottom of the wall. I considered the linking there to be through the suit, much like the one described within Book of D'ni. That the newer light weight suits made prior to the fall of D'ni, still had the same linking mechanism within them to aid in quick escapes, and the buttons at the top of the wall and the bottom of it simply activated the measure within the suit. That the suit hadn't passed testing before The Fall and thats why it was tested on the Wall prior to deployment rather than the other ones, and then of course the Fall happened

There's a button you touch at the bottom to get out, and just reaching the top links you on the Wall itself. No stones. The actual mechanism is unexplained.

The environment suits used inside the Wall chamber were never intended for general issue. They were specialty suits for that chamber alone, and were mostly unarmored. The suit you see hanging in the dressing room on the purple side was the duty armor actually issued for general use.

The Wall chamber itself was a training room to get the squads assigned there used to working in adverse conditions, and the room could simulate practically anything short of the interior of an erupting volcano. If you look around it, you can see a lot of scorching and wear and tear from the harsh conditions they had to go through. The suit was fully enclosed because they might find themselves in a cloud of chlorine gas one day, or being bathed in fire the next.

The machinery for the room dressed you in the suit and moved you into it simultaneously, with an economy Batman would have envied. When you linked out to the special Maintainer's Nexus, the linking process removed the suit and returned it to wherever it was kept. You were back in your regular clothing by the time you finished the link.

The duty armor had more armored sections on it but was not environmentally sealed. It was meant for daily wear, and was armored because the Maintainers were the police force for all of the Ages outside D'ni itself. For initial surveys where they couldn't be sure what they'd link into, they used the heavy armored tank-like suits you see in both dressing rooms and up in the prison control room.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Hehe, I go to work and look what happens while I'm away! :lol: Some great conversations here!!

@janaba1, yes, I agree; one of the things that draws me to the cavern is how Cyan has crafted a world and story where science and spirituality are not at war but instead are different words for pretty much the same thing. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:57 am 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
Tweek wrote:
Generally experimentation with the Art was a no-no, the D'ni held steadfast in their rules regarding Writing (obviously some development over the years would happen..new ink formulas for example). It was however done by people (illicit Ages) and by the Guilds to a degree (Gahreesen wall has a mechanism at the top to Link a person without a Book and on the ground is a round stone which also Links a person). Some of the experimentations have been quite outlandish for the D'ni (which some will hopefully discover in the future). But a lot of these experiments would have been kept secret due to the penalties that came with messing with the Art.

Just to clarify, I mean progress in the Skill itself, not in technology or society. “Some development over” 10.000 years didn’t even manage to produce smaller or multipanel Books. It looks like the Writers were not researchers, but priests of a more or less immutable Art.

And that makes the hypothesis of a secret group doing classified research somewhat more likely, for example to have a fallback in case the bahro got free or another Ronay splinter showed up with hostile intentions. Though one could wonder what they were doing during the Fall, considering how it was relatively easy for A’Gaeris to get anywhere near something rather critical like the air vents :?

It should also be noted that what we canonically know about the D’ni comes from what was left after the survivors relocated to Releeshahn; it would make sense that they took any critical knowledge and item related to the Art, or D’ni society in general, with them. In that case, if any breakthrough was made in recent times, we wouldn’t know about it (Yeesha meddlings aside).

Funny the topic that this should be brought up (secret society within D'ni that broke the rules of linking) This was actually a storyline I had planned for my future content years ago. This was before the whole Intangible and DIRT: Uru Live projects, and was just when I was developing content for POTS.

Spoilers in case I ever get a chance to release any of it:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Part of the content, was going to be a hood, as well as several ages and a secret location within D'ni itself. The basic story was that this group, The Writers of Illumination...wait tangent here - actually one of the T-Shirt's included with clothing update to MOULa, because at some point I do plan on getting back to this stuff and wanted to plant some of the seeds of that content early - okay back to it, this group, the WOI, was a secret society within D'ni. The group was comprised of some of the wealthiest and talented members of each of the five main guilds, as well as some from the lesser guilds. They met in secret because they believed that the rules regarding the Art and experimentation with it were causing the Art to stagnate, which led to "cookie cutter" ages like the garden binge era etc. They believed so long as the guilds continued teaching unproven theories as pious fact that eventually the Art's movement forward would eventually stop all together. They believed that rules like inter-age linking, writing man made structures and even time travel could be broken, but went the opposite way of Yeesha/Bahro and tried to mix the Art of Writing with science and tech. Part of the mystery of the group was how long they stayed in activity, they existed since at least from Ahlsendar's reign right up until a few years before the Fall, at least thats what I've revealed so far. The idea being that because of their connections within the Guilds and within D'ni society as a whole, over the years the group used those connections to stay hidden for all this time even when their ranks have changed over their long existence. think the Illuminati of D'ni, hence the name.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The Illuminated are watching us :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next