It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:57 am 

Where can I find the "single player version" of the game which includes the final puzzle to reach the Tree?

Also is there any way to grab the suit of armor from Gareesen, or video footage of the Gareesen wall-game

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:07 am 

The singleplayer version of Uru Live is called Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (paid, contains Yeesha's original hand journey), and it has two expansions, Uru: To D'ni (free, adds access to the main parts of Ae'gura and the Great Zero) and Uru: The Path of the Shell (paid, includes To D'ni, adds the Watcher's Sanctuary and the ages Er'cana and Ahnonay). All three addons are available as a bundle called Uru: Complete Chronicles, which AFAIK you can buy on Steam. Unless you're really interested in the old Uru Live trailer and a high-quality version of Zandi's radio music, you won't miss out on anything if you get Uru:CC instead of the main game and the expansions separately. (I'm also not certain if you can do certain "evil things" with the Steam version *cough Drizzle cough*, maybe someone else knows. ;))

Be aware that there are a few differences between the storyline of offline and online Uru. Yeesha's original journey is mostly the same (except for one detail at the end, I'll let you discover that for yourself). The To D'ni storyline is basically nonexistant in Uru Live, except for the Great Zero calibration. The Path of the Shell ages work very similarly to their online version (Ahnonay is slightly modified to be solvable in singleplayer), though the ending is very different and there's lots of story that you don't get in Uru Live. A few ages from Uru Live are completely missing from offline Uru, such as the neighborhood garden ages, the pod age, Minkata and Jalak.

The maintainer suit from Gahreesen can be obtained in offline Uru if you have PotS installed, though you can't get to or use the wall. For full wall climbing functionality, try out The Open Cave (TOC-MOUL) shard. It only requires the free online version of Uru.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

The song from Zandi's radio is Peter Gabriel's "Burn You Up, Burn You Down" from the "Still Growing Up" album. You can find a nice live version of it on YouTube, as well as the official recordings.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Larry, I've tried to trace the evolution of "Burn You Up, Burn You Down" without ever coming to a solid conclusion. The first published appearance I know of is on the "Hit " compilation album (yes, a new song first published on a compilation album of previous hits), but it appears that the song had been in his mind for some time before that. It also appears on the "Big Blue Ball" album, in a different arrangement.

I think the appearance on "Hit" and in Uru are more or less contemporary.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

You're right.

"Burn You Up, Burn You Down" (written by Karl Wallinger, Neil Sparkes, and Peter Gabriel) was released on "Hit" on November 3, 2003 for the first time, and then as a single on December 9, 2003, with Darkness (written by Peter Gabriel) on the b-side.

Uru: Age Beyond Myst was released on November 11, 2003. Peter Gabriel had been signed up by Ubisoft to write music for the Myst series (mainly for Myst 4: Revelation, which was an Ubisoft production) on October 8, 2003.

"Burn You Up, Burn You Down" was probably already recorded by then, so he would have given a copy of it to Ubisoft before "Hit" was released. The album got to the store shelves before the game did, so Uru wasn't its introduction, but it only missed that distinction by a matter of days.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:37 pm 

Being a huge Genesis, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel fan, as I understand it from interviews and articles I've read, Burn You Up, Burn You Down was recorded during the sessions for the Up (2002) album between 1995-2002, but did not make the final cut. Peter is very particular on how his recordings sound and the sound of that album in general. It took forever for him to finish that album. In my opinion it was not that great and would have been better had this song been there. It was then released shortly after on the Hit (2003) album. It was composed by Peter Gabriel, Neil Sparkes and Karl Wallinger. This is the version you hear on Uru: Ages Beyond Myst from Zandi's boom box and more so the end credits. It appeared on the live DVD Still Growing Up & Unwrapped (2005) which I agree is a great version. It was later remixed with slightly different instrumentation for the compilation album Big Blue Ball (2008) to sound more like the live version. I like this version better personally.

Edit: yes AlanD and larryf58 you are both correct. I would have been great it Uru got the distinction of being the first published release.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:22 am 

Thank you all for the info

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:10 pm 

coffeemancer wrote:
Where can I find the "single player version" of the game which includes the final puzzle to reach the Tree?

you can buy it on GOG.com which is a complete version (I never liked the Steam Platform) and the GOG.com's version is an "Evil-ready" version (visit the www.Guildofwriters.org). The only version available is URU:CC (Complete Chronicles). The single player version is very more enjoyable than MOUL version in my opinion.

coffeemancer wrote:
Also is there any way to grab the suit of armor from Gareesen, or video footage of the Gareesen wall-game

A video footage surely. But there are quite few ways to actually enjoy the wall game itself. One is *not to be talked on this forum* (visit the Guildofwriters.org's forums) and a second involves a MOUL based shard called TOC MOUL. But it's preferable to visit their own forum (http://forums.the-open-cave.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=331)