It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:00 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah all,

I have a friend who I'd like to introduce to Uru. However I'm not very up-to-date on the state of online Uru and I'm wondering, should I advise them to player Myst Online or offline Uru (including expansions)?

I'm mainly concerned that in the online version there may be bugs in some ages or that the story might be hard to follow because of the multitude of paths to take. The offline version might be more stable, and by applying the expansions one-by-one, the story can be explored more gradually. On the other hand the online version includes some areas that are not in the offline version, and, of course, other people.

What would you say? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

A couple things to consider: in the online version you can’t (normally) open that door in the Watcher Pub. On the other hand, with the offline version you’d miss all the fan-organized activities :!:

You might also want to check this post on the differences (or a longer, spoilery one), and maybe this one with notes for new players from other MMOGs.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I would suggest they play the offline version first to get the basic story and feel of the game. Then, if they're interested in more, play the online game to get the additional ages.

If they're interested in the story, you can direct them to the following for more information:

The Story So Far by geekmonger

RECAP: The Restoration So Far... (1987 to May 2007) by vidkid

The Heritage Documents, Volume 1: Memoirs by Carl Palmner, DimensionTravelerCalum, Malphok
(documents the cavern from Prologue to Exodus)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Many links in geekmonger’s post are 404; here are the correct ones:

Synopsis of the Myst Saga
D'ni Timeline
Myst
realMyst
realMyst M.E.
Riven
Uru: Complete Chronicles
Myst V: End of Ages

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:03 pm 

Marein wrote:
Shorah all,

I have a friend who I'd like to introduce to Uru. However I'm not very up-to-date on the state of online Uru and I'm wondering, should I advise them to player Myst Online or offline Uru (including expansions)?

I'm mainly concerned that in the online version there may be bugs in some ages or that the story might be hard to follow because of the multitude of paths to take. The offline version might be more stable, and by applying the expansions one-by-one, the story can be explored more gradually. On the other hand the online version includes some areas that are not in the offline version, and, of course, other people.

What would you say? Thanks!
IMHO, the story line is going to be hard to follow regardless which URU your friend chooses. ;)

I don't know if URU can be purchased separately as URU: Ages Beyond Myst, To D'ni and Path of the Shell anymore. But I do know that URU: Complete Chronicles can be purchased as disk or download.

It's more likely that URU:CC will have bugs than MOULa, because URU:CC is so old.

MOULa is free (but with recommended donations) whereas disk or downloaded URU has a cost (but is inexpensive).

Your friend can create her MOULa account now and jump right into the game! There are many there who'd love to help a newbie.

But if she prefers solitude, then she may prefer URU:CC, which does not require any assistance from other players.

In the long term, I recommend that she play both, in part because the full Path of the Shell is not available in MOULa. I also recommend that she play Myst V: End of Ages (disk or download) because the volcano and Great Shaft portions of it expand what's accessible in URU.

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)
CT Hostess Susa'n KI#9122427 (member Cavern Tour's Hood)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:24 pm 

Why not play MOULa with your friend :)?

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Hey all, thanks for the tips :) I haven't decided yet on what to suggest but I'll take it all into consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Long story short (slight spoilers): Ages Beyond Myst (the main story) is virtually identical between the two versions, save for how you arrive in the Cleft (starting there in the offline version as oppoesd to linking there in the online one).

To D'ni is a bit different, since the KI works vastly differently in offline Uru (because the offline version is normally singleplayer, having a chat/messaging system is kind of pointless).

Path of the Shell is the most different. For offline, if you *really* wanted to you could solve it in about 15 minutes without ever touching Ahnonay or Er'Cana, since the solution is static. If I recall correctly, the online version requires a second person to solve one or two of the puzzles, and the journey cloths function differently (more or less 'bookmarks' in offline vs actually needing to find all of them in online).

If you're worried about multiple storylines, the books on the Relto shelf are grouped by which pack they're with, so you can easily stay on the same expansion. (If I'm wrong about something in that regard, feel free to let me know, I haven't played the main story of the offline version in a few years, save for yesterday testing if PotS could be done right away)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]