It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:22 am 

Talashar wrote:
belford wrote:
Quote:
I was referring to the "real" events (IC speaking) on which both the games and the books were based.

I don't think you can pin that down to a single "real" IC history.

Originally the books were "the real events" on which the first two games were based. Then the storyline was updated for Uru (e.g., putting the Great Shaft in America) which turned the books somewhat fictional.

The novels were always somewhat fictional, due in large part to being written by David Wingrove rather than directly by people at Cyan. Hence errors like Kerath's Arch being near the cavern wall rather than Ae'gura, the D'ni writing system being logographic rather than alphabetic, and the cavern being in the Middle East. Of course the explanation that Catherine's unseen journals are the original from which both novels and games are adapted is convenient for both mistakes and retcons...

But I also adhere to the idea that both Atrus and Yeesha lived to see the releases of the Myst novels and games. Neither of them would allow TOO much of a change from the actual characterization of their family members... even if some events were changed.

Sure, you could make the claim that "trap books" don't exist, no STRANGER ever came to Myst nor to Riven-- but no way would Atrus be comfortable being branded as an absentee father who neglected his sons until they became greedy, arrogant & violent... unless that characterization was based on the "truth". So, while events of the games might be "fictional"--- I can't believe they'd stray too far from an accurate representation of the people involved, at least.

I imagine, then, that Gehn probably really did try to kill Atrus when he was much younger, and that Atrus eventually DID use a phony linking book to trap Gehn in a prison Age rather than leave him in Riven to die when it collapsed.... etc.

And also.. I'm not sure I believe this idea that the canon changed with each game release. Can anyone name things from Myst 3, 4 or 5, which actually CONTRADICT any of the canon from Myst, Riven, or the novels?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Harvey et al. :)

To add a bit of fodder to the history/canon discussion here, you may find RAWA's forum post interesting. Also, The Watson Letters might prove a good resource too.

Have fun!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Okay, to clarify, I didn't actually say that the games were based on the books. I was referring to the "real" events (IC speaking) on which both the games and the books were based. I probably shouldn't have referenced the books at all, but they do give a more in-depth picture of the story and timeline.

I will confess that I haven't played Riven in years, so I didn't realize that, in it, Gehn had referred to the events taking place years before. Therefore, I stand corrected.

However, ICly, I still believe that Cyan was inspired to create Riven based on the events that happened before Myst. :P

That's a really interesting idea, however I think if you follow it through the conclusion is not that the game Riven and The Book of Atrus depict the same story, but that the events of Riven were completely fabricated for the sake of making a game to cover themes and locations of The Book of Atrus.

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea: It neatly explains away the trap book thing, it makes it somewhat more plausible that The Stranger would meet up with Atrus later on for Exile etc., it sidesteps the issue of Catherine's carelessness in travelling to Riven without a realistic way back, regardless of what Sirius or Achenar might have told her.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
As I understand it (IC-speaking), the games (and I think the books, too) are based on Catherine's journals - which maybe someday the DRC will show to us. Yeah, right.

Should we launch the RAWA signal?

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
As I understand it (IC-speaking), the games (and I think the books, too) are based on Catherine's journals - which maybe someday the DRC will show to us. Yeah, right.

Should we launch the RAWA signal?

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:58 pm 

To understand the RAWA post referred one must see it for what it is. He is writing in defence after MR. Millers post. I tend to believe Robyn is right because it rings true.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Rudolfson wrote:
To understand the RAWA post referred one must see it for what it is. He is writing in defence after MR. Millers post. I tend to believe Robyn is right because it rings true.

Are you referring to this conversation?

Robyn's views on Myst and canon were interesting and quite surprising for many of us, particularly since he hadn't chatted with the MOUL community before about Myst.

However, that particular conversation took place about 18 months after the RAWA post I'd mentioned above. At the time, RAWA as well seemed surprised at how differently the two Miller brothers seemed to see the story. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:25 pm 

Oh i'm so sorry! these opinions have been aired since 'forever' and i mixed it up. RAWA is a man that wants to know "how it really is" and that is why he has been so important to the whole community.
I also see that my post could be read as if RAWA's interpretation was not true. That would be far from my opinion. I consider RAWA the main source of valid info on the URU universe and history. What Robyn told at that time is however consistent with whats on and in the Box of Myst and Riven. Coming in to this place, like I do, with Myst and arriving late to URU and thinking III and IV are mediocre both in story and in production, I must say that reaction to Robyn's info was confirmation not Surprize. This all does not change anything though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Rudolfson,

No worries, it's all a very interesting part of the history here. :-)

After reading through the Robyn thread back when it was an active conversation, I got the impression that Rand always had a very clear history and backstory in his mind with the Myst saga and worlds, and that RAWA worked very hard to pull those threads out and understand them for himself even in the very early days of Myst/Riven development.

Robyn's perspective was very similar to that of most fans when we first discovered Myst: that it wasn't about historic events or canon, it was an adventure into a new genre and a merging of art and storytelling. That Rand and Robyn's perspectives were so different even while they were collaborating so closely is a fascinating tidbit about the creative process in general and how it must have unfolded in the early days at Cyan HQ.

In the end, it seems to me that neither view is "right" or "wrong", they are simply different ways of understanding the story of Atrus and his family. For those of us OCD historian types, the RAWA view is very compelling! It provides more questions than answers and fodder for discussions, research and deductive work, which can be great fun for people like me. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
In the end, it seems to me that neither view is "right" or "wrong", they are simply different ways of understanding the story of Atrus and his family. For those of us OCD historian types, the RAWA view is very compelling! It provides more questions than answers and fodder for discussions

I totally agree with this statement. All of Myst is what mysteries you dream about. Each to their own dreams :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2