It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:01 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:54 am 

Hello, this is my first post here, though I've been a Myst fan for years. I've had some theories for a while that I've not seen written down before, regarding the ages in the original Myst. I hope this is the right place for this.

In the original Myst, the rules of linking and ages haddn't been finalised. From later games and the novels, the implication is that each age is its own universe and world. However, there is another interpretation for the ages in Myst. From Myst island, the 4 main ages of the game can be reached.

I believe however, that each age is not intended to be a different world, but that they each portray a different time or possible period in time of Myst itself.

This may sound odd, but it comes from the very name of the concept itself. The worlds are called 'ages' implying that they exist in a different time to Myst. Each age is represented on Myst by a 'place of protection' in the image of the ages. Each of the ages are also islands, like Myst, and all share similarities with the protection places. For instance, the Gear hill on Mechanical exists in both worlds, suggesting that Mechanical is an extension of this part of Myst. Similarly, the forest on Myst is reflected on Channelwood, as are the ship and spaceship on their ages.

There are also a few other details that add to this theory. For instance, Selenitic has a clocktower similar to the one of Myst, only decayed and decrepit, implying that it is a 'future' age. The central rotating lift on Mechanical is similar to the one in the tower on Myst.

Interestingly, this trend is carried on by K'veer as well. The book for K'veer is located in Atrus' library, and K'veer itself is similar to the library, having the same basic shape, and is also where Atrus is writing, as he would in the version on Myst.

This even extends to REALMyst, with Rime. The book for Rime is located in the Library, and Rime is an age connected to Atrus' writings as well, linking to Riven, D'ni and his attempts to create a new technology with regards to linking. The shape of Rime is also similar to the library and mountain on Myst.

Yes this is all just a theory, but it's certainly an interesting way of thinking about the ages of Myst.

What follows is a separate theory, regarding Uru: Ages Beyond Myst.

Uru was the first real spin-off to Myst, though it plays basically the same apart from some jumping mechanics.

But I believe that the main ages visited in Uru are not just new ages in their own right, but each is also a mirror of an age from the original Myst.

First is Gahreesen, which is the most obvious mirror, of Mechanical. Both feature large rotating buildings.

Eder Gira and Kemo resemble Selenetic, as unlike the other ages, they are simply empty worlds with little to do with ether the Brothers or the D'ni.

Teledahn is less obvious, but I managed to figure it out. The first puzzle in Teledahn relates to matching a telescope to the sun, very similar to the telescope on Stoneship. A later puzzle involves draining water to access a new area, which is one of the basic systems of Stoneship.

Kadish Tolesa then is a reflection of Channelwood, with the giant trees being the only real link to the Myst age.

Relto is a clear mirror of Myst, as explicitly mentioned by Yeesha it was intended to be this way. With all Relto pages, it has a library, a mountain, a fireplace, a bookshelf, a dock, a hill above the dock, and imager by the dock, a clocktower on an island, a winding path (to the sparklies or spacehsip), a centre path with columns on either side, and a giant tree. The number of links is incredible.

I don't think the Cleft really maps onto an existing age, but it could reflect K'veer, where Atrus' story finally connects with the players, similarly to Yeesha. It also calls back to Riven with its wreckage, but not in a substantial way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:31 pm 

Interesting theories. I've always thought there were several visual cues in Uru, similar to Myst-- finding and collecting Relto pages in Uru, for example, is similar to looking for the ed & blue pages in Myst.

darkspine10 wrote:
I don't think the Cleft really maps onto an existing age, but it could reflect K'veer, where Atrus' story finally connects with the players, similarly to Yeesha. It also calls back to Riven with its wreckage, but not in a substantial way.

Well, I've always thought the Cleft itself looked very similar to the Fissure, the crack in Riven holding a 'starry expanse'-- which Atrus leapt into, to destroy his Myst book when he escaped from Riven.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]