It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:55 pm 

Hi
At my event people asked me a good question: what powers The Great Zero? I honestly don't know and can't seem to find much info about this? Does anyone know?

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:31 am 

If I'm not mistaken, it is powered by a waterfall seen from the calibration room at the back of the main area. (water falls into a generator, producing the power that is then sent to the main unit (hence the electrical discharges and energy beams)... I vaguely remember reading it somewhere years ago....possibly either online or in a journal in the cavern....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's powered by electricity. However, the current is probably generated farther down in the Island and routed up to it. Sorry, klaxon, but there's no waterfall anywhere around there or in sight of it.

The Great Zero is located on top of the highest stalagmite of Ae'gura Island. It's visible from Tokotah Courtyard (in a way). If you look up from the courtyard past the Guild Hall, you'll see the stalagmite. At the top is a flashing red light. That light is on top of the Great Zero observation chamber, and you can see it again from the map courtyard of the Great Zero by looking at the observation chamber from near the neutrino dispenser machine.

There is a large pond atop the stalagmite, but it doesn't feed a waterfall -- there isn't enough new water going into it to last for very long. That pond formed from water droplets falling from the cavern ceiling, the same water that formed all the stalagmites in the cavern. If the D'ni had tried to use it to run a generator, it would have emptied the pond in a matter of hours.

How the electricity used in the Great Zero is really generated remains a mystery; there was never any reason for that kind of detail to be built into the model.

...So is the purpose of the flashing red light. Maybe it's a navigation marker for boats on the lake? Or maybe it's a warning marker for low-flying bats? Who knows? :)

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:11 pm 

Well that explains why I could not find any information about it, I guess we don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:22 pm 

I think the Great Zero has a type of crystal energy power to work. That's similiar to the Heart of Atlantis from Disney's Atlantis - The Lost Empire a powerful crystal over Atlantis.

Code:
A3'9UR4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

That might be interesting, but the crystals are used to channel and direct the neutrino beam generated by the collection towers that are out in the pond. They do not create electricity, and neither does the beam. In fact, the name neutrino comes from the fact that the particles have no electrical charge -- they are electrically neutral.

While this is a guess, it's an educated one: the lightning effects we see around the emitter in the courtyard are not a side effect of channeling neutrinos, which have no electric charge, so they must be a side effect of the system used to shape the beam into a fan and operating the emitter. The electricity involved is almost certainly added from the outside. Again guessing, I'd say that the crystals may require electricity to do their job.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:10 pm 

Its an old volcano, maybe its Hydrothermal

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
It's powered by electricity. However, the current is probably generated farther down in the Island and routed up to it. Sorry, klaxon, but there's no waterfall anywhere around there or in sight of it.

Not even what would be above the top left of this picture?
[Reveal] Spoiler:

I distinctly recall a waterfall, or something looking like that. I can't access the Cavern at the moment, so I can't get an actual picture presently.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:12 am 
Obduction Backer

The yellowish structures in the upper left of that photo are the neutrino collection towers. There's a stream of neutrino particles in the air above them that kind of resembles falling water. However, take a look at my article about the Great Zero. You can see the structures from outside in a couple of pictures near the bottom of the page.

When we conduct the Cavern Tours (beginning next month, maybe? The final word hasn't been given yet.) and we get to the Great Zero, we set it up so people can run around outside at the end of the tour. It's pretty easy to see that it isn't falling water when you actually get out there. The particle stream acts more like a vapor.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:08 am 

Some of those photos where taken with 'hacks' and I don't see those as cannon since we won't supposed to view objects from those angles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:45 am 
Obduction Backer

Any three-dimensional object in the game is canon. The fact that you cannot see some of them without using one of the in-game bots or skydiving techniques to leave the normal areas does not change that in the slightest. The trick is figuring out what those objects are using the available clues, such as the notebooks and interviews Cyantists have given over the years. To reject evidence simply because you normally would not see it is to reject all the work the game designers put into it. They lavished an amazing amount of work and detail into things you cannot see if you never leave the beaten paths. Some of those hidden details are important in figuring out what they intended.

There are things that have to be taken with a grain of salt. An example of that are the novels. David Wingrove wrote those without direct supervision by the folks at Cyan, so there are many things he wrote that have errors or are false. The official word from Cyan was that if something written in the books contradicts something you can see in the game, it's the game that is correct.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Maybe it’s geothermal? Also, it would make sense to have a source independent from the rest of the Island, but it still might be at some distance from the structure.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:29 am 

I think the yellow structure are yellow because there made from algae bacteria and then make the power.

Code:
A3'9UR4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
It's pretty easy to see that it isn't falling water when you actually get out there. The particle stream acts more like a vapor.

I guess you haven't seen any really tall and narrow waterfall? By the time it reaches the bottom, it's not a solid sheet of water any more, it's more like mist.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Still probably not enough, though. The Great Zero sparks like a Van der Graaf generator, which suggests some huge voltage.

Heh, for all we know there might be a fission reactor under the lake :lol: ...which hasn’t been maintained for three centuries, by now... :shock:

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next