It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 12:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
Hypothetical situation, someone comes up with, and adds a fan made Nexus or library, several people add there fan ages, word gets out about the new content, attracting new comers and some of the older members all wanting to start a new account and check out the new content, but can't. They all send Cyan an Email requesting a new account, Cyan is so overwhelmed with Email requesting a new account they finally open up new account creation. In addition everyone can help on some level

How long has account creation been offline?
How many emailed requests for new accounts has Cyan received in that time?
How many people have been replied to after sending such requests?
How many people have been simply ignored?
How many people, after seeing the "Account creation is currently not available" notice, simply go away, unwilling to go to the trouble of sending a whiny email to Cyan?
IF a new Nexus is made AND passes the muster of the Writers' community AND is tested on the Minkata shard AND is accepted by Cyan AND other Fan Content clears the same hurdles, THEN how many gamers out there will notice and take the time to write emails after seeing Cyan's "currently not available" page?

Until you can answer the above questions, please don't imagine that Cyan will count emails, much less the topic of those emails.
Content Creation is happening on its own, and for different reasons - not because of some hypothetical need to drive Account Creation.

Let's treat Account Creation as something we can assist Cyan in restoring...IF we have the information as to exactly what's holding up the works.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:36 am 

@Emor D'ni Lap"
you forgot a few

how many people in the gateway team where working on new ages.
how many are still working on new ages
how long has the community been waiting for the gateway team to finish new ages.

Im not saying its not gonna happen but the only content updated so far where I believe from outside the gateway team.

with all the stuff Cyan has given us to work with we have nothing to show for it.

I cant speak for Cyan but if it where up to me I would use peer pressure and give the gateway team an ultimatum, "we will open new account creation only after we see new content"

Keep in mind I was only in this to add the physics to Sevkor, but by the time I got it the textures had been baked on, the mesh was joined into one piece, and then slice at random angles into 120 pieces. Now I understand part of his income in 3D graphic and wanting to protect your work, but if you dont trust someone dont ask them to help. I hold no ill will toward Matt because I understand wanting to protect something you have worked so hard on, I had the first and the best of my work hijacked and I will never be able to work on that one again.

So you want new account creation start your own shard
you want new content learn age creation
Cyan is a business, not a charity-my opinion NOT Cyans

Im into age writing and 3D graphics for the entertainment value publishing it has always bin a bit of a hassle, too many rules

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:34 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Karkadann wrote:
I cant speak for Cyan but if it where up to me I would use peer pressure and give the gateway team an ultimatum, "we will open new account creation only after we see new content"

That would be a terrific way to totally alienate the Gateway Team and guarantee getting nothing. You never issue a demand or artificial deadline or ultimatum to people who are offering their time voluntarily: They'll simply walk away.

Besides, you have no idea if a corollary exists... How do you know that Cyan might even be in a position to reopen account creation if the gateway/new content miraculously appeared overnight?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:52 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
Karkadann wrote:

That would be a terrific way to totally alienate the Gateway Team and guarantee getting nothing. You never issue a demand or artificial deadline or ultimatum to people who are offering their time voluntarily: They'll simply walk away.

Besides, you have no idea if a corollary exists... How do you know that Cyan might even be in a position to reopen account creation if the gateway/new content miraculously appeared overnight?

edit to add
Does any one remember how some people reacted when open source wasn't released in a timely manner

E=mc2

Last edited by Karkadann on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Considering that account creation was closed because of griefers and/or attacks to the server, I’d argue that new content would have little influence over reopening it. Plus, the Helpdesk is closed too, which is arguably more urgent.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:18 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Mac was being polite.

The above graphic perfectly fits the metaphor of advising Cyan to hold community access hostage for content.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:07 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
Mac was being polite.

The above graphic perfectly fits the metaphor of advising Cyan to hold community access hostage for content.

I said "if it where up to me", I didn't advise anyone to do anything, in addition I did not sign up to be part of a reality show which is what the gateway team has been from the beginning and I can not take the credit for all of it, as the old saying go's to many cooks spoil the broth.

Mac_Fife wrote:
You never issue a demand or artificial deadline or ultimatum to people who are offering their time voluntarily: They'll simply walk away.
Most have already walked away is that my fault as well

Although I have to admit Platt you do know how to promote something far better then I do and for that im grateful,
viewtopic.php?p=388489#388489
but im frustrated, and I promise you I will never nor have I ever taken this attitude into the caverns
there is a time and place for everything the caverns are to enjoy the forums are to hash out problems

E=mc2

Last edited by Karkadann on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:42 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Frustrating is a good word. "Reality show" is kinda funny, but likely insulting. Volunteers have real lives. I would do things differently, but that's often an issue. ;)

Karkadann wrote:
Platt

Friends call me JW.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:00 pm 

Well JW I think I just figured out how to make a traditional bear trap that Will actually trap the av using some animation and an able disable terrain component thingy

I'll see you later, more mischief to work on

E=mc2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:03 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Karkadann wrote:
Most have already walked away is that my fault as well
No-one is suggesting it is your "fault" or, indeed, anyone else's fault... It just happens with volunteer projects. Nevertheless, you proposed what you would do, and I simply pointed out that it would be a dead certainty to be counterproductive. The Gateway Team, what's left of it, would probably benefit from a "carrot" approach, rather than a "stick" approach. However, I'm unable to suggest what kind of carrot would work.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
JWPlatt wrote:
Karkadann wrote:
Platt

Friends call me JW.

Didn't Nick White once call you "Platt"?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:25 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Let's just say we didn't see him around for very much longer...

<cue Godfather music>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann, you know I think you're a great guy; I have nothing but respect for your art, your enthusiasm for URU, and everything you've done.

However, it's apparent that you will continue to insist on conflating the completely separate, Cyan-controlled and technical matter of Account Creation with the now-entirely-fanbase-controlled and artistic matter of Content Creation.

You seem to think that artists can be persuaded by this imaginary connection, but I cannot imagine any current or future Agebuilder saying “Wow, if only I create this fantastic new place to explore, then Cyan will make Account Creation functional again”.
Karkadann wrote:
So you want new account creation start your own shard
you want new content learn age creation
Cyan is a business, not a charity
Sure I want Account Creation to be back up and running again, but the way to accomplish that is hardly by starting my own shard, which would only drain my time and energy. Sure Cyan is a business and not a charity, which is why I'm suggesting that, with accurate information about its problems, the community might be able to help make Account Creation functional again without draining Cyan's resources. Sure I want new content; I've done my very best to learn and will continue to do so - while keeping my own life going as best I can.

You apparently see most Agebuilders “walking away”; I see most of them still around, still paying attention - and continuing to do their very best to fit as much volunteered work into their Real Lives as they can. You see an absence of New Content; I see hundreds of existing Fan Ages as well as many current and ongoing agebuilding projects in continuing development, some in fits and starts, but never giving up, and all working to much higher standards than in earlier years. When and if they finish their projects is not a commercial, deadline-driven matter, it is entirely up to the taste and preference of the artists and how they can best manage their personal lives.

As others have already said here, voluntary artistic efforts cannot be driven by scolding, nagging, and guilt-tripping. If someone wanted to end community Agebuilding, if someone wanted to take the fun out of the activity, I can't think of a better way than to turn Agebuilding into an obligatory exercise by telling volunteer artists that they are somehow responsible for Account Creation... or even for the success or failure of URU in general.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:36 pm 

OK then, putting my bear trap aside for a minute lets look at it like a puzzle
with a bit of misdirection from my own moronic behavior

starting with a few questions

why was account creation attacked?
what would motivate such a thing?
who could possibly benefit?

Everything happens for a reason, my moronic behavior is no exception.

E=mc2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:00 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Just being a little observant...

Karkadann wrote:
why was account creation attacked?
what would motivate such a thing?
who could possibly benefit?
korovev wrote:
...account creation was closed because of griefers...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next